Problems with brakes

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gencis

I am driving MY2012 I-miev. One day I got warning light on the dashboard BRAKES and very annoying warning sound. Brake padal became stiff. I have harder to push it in order to brake. Also braking performance reduced.
I drove to nearest workshop. They checked all brake cylinders and made some repairs. For short time everything was working. After several days the same problem appeared. Now workshop concluded that it could be vacuum pump.
They lifted the car made it run in Drive but the vacuum pump did not work. They also connected it directly to the battery and it also did not work. So could it be vacuum pump?
P.s. Workshop repaired my ICE cars but have no experience in EV.
brakes.jpg

Thank you. Unfortunately my I-miev was shipped from US to Europe so I am not able to get free pump due to recall.
I will buy used vacuum pump and will replace it.

Sounds plausible. In the US, IIRC all of our 2012 i-MiEVs were recalled by Mitsubishi to replace the vacuum pump.
12 v battery issue?
Lots of issues I had on imiev and ampera solved by new 12v battery.
I know it sounds simple but worth checking.
Costs nowt .

As Colin says, check first 12v accessory battery (under the front hood). Many many many issues are 12v battery related.

Vacuum pump is easy to test and diagnose.

Just plug it directly to 12v and try to let it suck your finger on the suction side (aka the pipe that goes to break amplifier).

If you have any vacuum tester you can plug it also.

A faulty vacuum pump gives a really hard brake pedal. You need to push it with all your weight.

Seems like an easy fault, your I-Miev should run again quick.

Good luck!

Back