Operation In Extreme Cold

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what my owners manual says about the battery warming system

"You cannot charge the main drive lithium-ion battery when the main drive lithium battery temperature is -13F(-25C) or lower.
The air conditioning will automatically operate and the main drive lithium-ion battery will be heated when all the following conditions are met

• the main drive lithium-ion battery temperature is between -22F(-30C) and -13F(-25C)
    The energy level gauge shows 4 bars or more of full charge.
    The electric motor switch is in the lock position.
    The regular charge connector is connected to the regular charge port.

"

So as nt2w points out, and what I get from this is that the battery warmer, which is apparently just meant for the charging operation so that it can get the temperature up high enough for it to start charging. Since the battery warmer is all about charging, it only operates when plugged in. Charging does not start until the battery is warmed up by the battery warmer to -25C. If the manual is to be believed, contrary to the diagram in the earlier post, the warmer does not operate between -15C and -25C but only between -25C and -30C.

I am almost sure that we never got as low as -30C. Since my electric motor unit warning light came on both times when I was fully charged, I do not anymore think it is related to the above. I am starting to suspect a flaky relationship between the car and the remote or a marginal accessory battery.

Houston we have a problem!

Ice conditions yesterday(Friday) with the car parked in the driveway. When I went out to use the car, I couldn't get the J1772 plug out of the car. Water had frozen down in the handle and the release button/lever would not release. Hair dryer to the rescue! Anyone else have similar problems in the real winter areas?
Silver, 2012, ES with QC. (Half way thru my two year lease.)

I've come close to that problem locking my car to the plug. What I do is either take the plug cover and put it over the button and use the charge port door to hold it (doesn't work too well), or I take bubble wrap and wrap it around the handle, pushing it into the the charge port well and use the door to hold it. The bubble wrap works much better since it keeps snow and ice from jamming the charge port plastic door from either not closing or not latching. Mitsubishi should make the 2014 charge port door open 'up' like on the LEAF, though I really doubt that'll happen.

Why I keep a piece of bubble wrap in the car is beyond me, but at least I have a purpose for it. :lol: :roll:

Here is a little simple mod to increase heat on the drivers side when driving solo.

Block off the passenger side floor outlet with a couple of stryofoam pieces.

I made 2 of them and then wrapped them up with electrical tape.

Works pretty well. and it`s reversible. You can direct extra heat to the passenger side to please your better half.

http://imgur.com/jUNRH3D

Cheers

Don.....

Hi, I recently purchased an I-MiEV and regularly travel in very cold temperatures. I am located in Winnipeg, Canada. I park the car inside my unheated (but attached) garage each night. On a cold night it is -20C (about -4F) in the morning, in the garage. Outdoor temperatures are frequently much lower. I haven't run into any issues. I park outside all day, but I am plugged in to a L1 outlet at work. In Winnipeg, L1 outlets are everywhere in parking lots, because everyone uses block heaters here for their ICE cars.

Here is a photo I took on my way to work a few days ago. -32C is about -26F.

miev_32.jpg

Micah
2012 I-MiEV

Micah said:
Hi, I recently purchased an I-MiEV and regularly travel in very cold temperatures. I am located in Winnipeg, Canada. I park the car inside my unheated (but attached) garage each night. On a cold night it is -20C (about -4F) in the morning, in the garage. Outdoor temperatures are frequently much lower. I haven't run into any issues. I park outside all day, but I am plugged in to a L1 outlet at work. In Winnipeg, L1 outlets are everywhere in parking lots, because everyone uses block heaters here for their ICE cars.

Here is a photo I took on my way to work a few days ago. -32C is about -26F.

Micah
2012 I-MiEV

Do you use your remote to preheat on very cold days and if so have you had any problems with it?

I always preheat with the remote. I haven't had any problems, Except for yesterday when it was parked in my garage, temperature around -15c on L2 charger, fully charged. I tried to put it in preheat but kept getting an error. I unplugged thr car and plugged it back in and then it worked afterward.

Micah said:
I always preheat with the remote. I haven't had any problems, Except for yesterday when it was parked in my garage, temperature around -15c on L2 charger, fully charged. I tried to put it in preheat but kept getting an error. I unplugged thr car and plugged it back in and then it worked afterward.

I had similar problems at similar temperatures a couple of times. Good to know that unplugging and plugging back in resets it. Thanks.

Micah and GaryW, could you tell us which L2 EVSEs you have? The Remote interaction with some (all?) L2 EVSEs is erratic, and sometimes, in addition to unplugging/replugging, merely hitting the Remote "Send" button a number of times finally results in no 'Error'. I have that problem with my SPX Power Xpress, and have yet found no pattern which finally makes it 'take'.

Micah, that photo of -32decC is mind-boggling to some of us! Thank you for posting it.

JoeS said:
Micah and GaryW, could you tell us which L2 EVSEs you have? The Remote interaction with some (all?) L2 EVSEs is erratic, and sometimes, in addition to unplugging/replugging, merely hitting the Remote "Send" button a number of times finally results in no 'Error'. I have that problem with my SPX Power Xpress, and have yet found no pattern which finally makes it 'take'.
Hi JoeS,
I use the Bosch EL-51245 I got from amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-5124...qid=1390955652&sr=8-10&keywords=bosch+charger

I have only experienced that "error" message once on my remote in the couple of months I've been using it. Hopefully it won't come up again.

Micah, that photo of -32decC is mind-boggling to some of us! Thank you for posting it.
It can be challenging to get around at those temperatures! I am not aware if the Mitsubishi temperature display has a lower limit. However, in most Toyota vehicles, the lowest temperature it will dispaly is -30c (-22f), even if it is actually much colder (I mostly had Toyota vehicles before I got my i-MiEV).

Micah - do they turn the block heater plugs off in the summer?
GaryS, Typically, no. In case they do, my workplace is very accommodating and I'm sure they would turn them on again.

Here's an existing thread on the topic. I may be forced to install a combustion heater so relatives will travel in my i-MiEV and keep from driving a pickup truck. Make one trip without heat and set a precedent. :roll:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1248

Back