New iMiev owner(s)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danpatgal said:
nsps said:
One thing that didn't seem to do much is the pre-heating. Maybe I started it to early and it stopped before I got in the car? I started at 7:45 and got in the car at 8:10 so it should have still been going I think. It's still cold out here at night and in the morning, but not super-cold, so I'm worried about hot well it'll heat up when it is super-cold.
It helps (maybe even necessary) to have the heat turned on and fan at least at medium before you do the pre-heat. I've always found the preheat (here in Pennsylvania) to be very warm after only 10-15 minutes, so much so that it get's a little too warm and my wife has to put the windows down.

I think my fan was turned off, so that might have been the problem. Maybe I misunderstood the booklet — I thought it said that the interior A/C/heat settings didn't affect the preheating.

We find turning on the seat heater and using the remote on Defrost mode works best for us.

As for driving in the hills here in cold Quebec, temperature does take its toll on the range up to 30% possibly more depending on heating setting. Pre-heating a must at anything colder than -15C (5 F) .

nsps said:
I think my fan was turned off, so that might have been the problem. Maybe I misunderstood the booklet — I thought it said that the interior A/C/heat settings didn't affect the preheating.

Use the DEFROST mode, it works better. Are you using the L1 EVSE that came with the car? It won't get the car that warm, mostly a mild sensation that its warmer inside than outside. But, it does help precondition the car and you will get better range even using the L1 EVSE.

If you want it HOT inside, then you'll need an L2 EVSE (240v).

There is no need to preset the dials, the car manages all of this for you. I usually leave my heat off when no one else in the car and I'm just going to work. I always have a nice warm car to get into in the morning without having to preset anything. Do turn on your seat heater, though - then you'll have a nice hot seat as well.

nsps said:
danpatgal said:
It helps (maybe even necessary) to have the heat turned on and fan at least at medium before you do the pre-heat. I've always found the preheat (here in Pennsylvania) to be very warm after only 10-15 minutes, so much so that it get's a little too warm and my wife has to put the windows down.
Correct - It doesn't matter what any of the switches are set for. The remote heat/cool does it's own thing even if everything is turned off

If you're not getting much heat, it could be because you're charging at the same time, *or* it might be because you're using the stock EVSE. The heater can only use whatever power the EVSE can deliver to the car, so if you're using the stock EVSE, you're limited to only 960 watts of heat, which won't get the car even lukewarm sitting in a cold garage. With an L2 EVSE, your remote heat can be up to 3,300 watts - That WILL get your car toasty warm in 15 minutes or so

Don

I was just thinking that might be the problem. Yes, I'm getting an upgrade through evseupgrade but am waiting for an opportune time to send my evse in.

Hello there. We just bought a silver Peugeot iOn (£12,999) from our local Peugeot dealer in Cornwall, UK. They recently held an EV rally, which we missed completely:

http://www.nextgreencar.com/news/6152/Cornwall-hosts-electric-vehicle-rally

It's replacing a Prius (NHW20/mk2) which was my company car. After 8 years of driving the Prius, we have been pleasantly surprised how practical the iOn is working out for us, even though it's much smaller. Currently it's being charged using the standard 10 amp evse lead it came with, but soon I am hoping to get a 16A home charger fitted (for free if I qualify for the government grant).

I'm currently trying to work out the best way to track charge versus mileage, so I can quickly familiarise myself with the available range. Most of our journeys are less than 40 mile round trips, but the terrain where I live is very hilly, and I guess this could have a major impact on range.

We do have a backup car (1.6 diesel Citroen Berlingo) for longer journeys, but are hoping to use the iOn for the majority of our travel.

Here are some pictures of the iOn at home:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107005395279479619878/albums/5865530591113043185?authkey=CI_2lOjZ7fObIw

Congrats Keith. (£12,999) is a good price. I am wondering if it has GPS in there? Do you have level 3 charger as well?

misterbleepy said:
Hello there. We just bought a silver Peugeot iOn (£12,999) from our local Peugeot dealer in Cornwall, UK. They recently held an EV rally, which we missed completely:

http://www.nextgreencar.com/news/6152/Cornwall-hosts-electric-vehicle-rally

It's replacing a Prius (NHW20/mk2) which was my company car. After 8 years of driving the Prius, we have been pleasantly surprised how practical the iOn is working out for us, even though it's much smaller. Currently it's being charged using the standard 10 amp evse lead it came with, but soon I am hoping to get a 16A home charger fitted (for free if I qualify for the government grant).

I'm currently trying to work out the best way to track charge versus mileage, so I can quickly familiarise myself with the available range. Most of our journeys are less than 40 mile round trips, but the terrain where I live is very hilly, and I guess this could have a major impact on range.

We do have a backup car (1.6 diesel Citroen Berlingo) for longer journeys, but are hoping to use the iOn for the majority of our travel.

Here are some pictures of the iOn at home:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107005395279479619878/albums/5865530591113043185?authkey=CI_2lOjZ7fObIw

It doesn't have sat nav, but does have the high speed charger thing fitted on the other side - CHAdeMO I think it's called?

The only options available in the UK over the basic specification on an iOn are cold pack (heated seat and heated wing mirrors) and sat nav (and metallic/pearlescent paint). The one I bought was not fitted with those options. Alloy wheels are standard I think. The standard CD radio fitted has a usb connector for iPod/flash drive connection, and does bluetooth handsfree too.

It seems another difference over the iMiev is the gear selector is missing 2 positions - it only has PRND positions. I'm not sure whether that will make a difference in range - does lightly pressing the brake pedal increase the amount of regenerative braking (like it did on the Prius)?

Good price indeed, misterbleepy

Tools kit
To find the nearest load, enter a city or address http://fr.chargemap.com/
Green Race 3 is a calculator autonomy for electric cars, available free online http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/

Peugeot iOn (2010 World Cup) - All about Peugeot electric "Google traduction"

http://automobile.challenges.fr/essais/20100908.LQA3388/peugeot-ion-mondial-2010-tout-savoir-sur-la-peugeot-electrique.html
Peugeot iOn and sister Siamese Citroën C-Zero seem as perfect clones of the Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Nothing could be less true. i-MiEV, the iOn and Japanese are like the camel and dromedary: obviously related, but very different anyway. When the PSA Group announced plans to integrate its range of small electric Japanese, we thought the tight schedule that it was necessary not allow time to make only two big changes. Namely, reverse the position of the steering column and the grille grafted "home." That was counting without the reality of the market and the gulf between the category of " kei cars "minimalist belongs the i-MiEV Japanese the standards of the European mini city. Requirements of comfort, sound and presentation differ significantly. In sum, the Tokyoite not expected the same from his electric car that Parisien. ....

Quieter, better damped faster than the i-MiEV

If our British neighbors were the first to commercialization of the i-MiEV last year, it is only because of their insistence on driving "on the wrong side of the road", as in Japan. Version LHD which will land in the rest of Europe by the end of the year will be very different from the Japanese, unlike French versions released as shield.

Against all odds, in fact, the PSA was not merely a cosmetic treatment. Yet it has its usefulness, since Peugeot claims to be able to reduce aerodynamic drag, despite the transplant mirrors larger, according to the European standard. Initially, the cockpit has gained cachet, with a central console so " piano lacquer "deemed more flattering than the sad imitation of aluminum i-MiEV in Japan. Matter of taste. The i-MiEV European law will also better perceived quality. controls and instrumentation are those of the i-MiEV, with a digital speedometer flanked by display of autonomy and the rate of battery charge Lithium-ion battery. The center hand shows turn the power consumed during acceleration and lift the foot recovered, according to a logical view of the already hybrid Honda. What changes however is the tiny grid selector gearshift. Missing positions "Eco" and "B" for "Braking" of the i-MiEV! Instead, it is the only position "D" for "Drive". " We wanted to simplify the man-machine interface , "explains Philippe Barriac in charge iOn Project since its inception. " The selection of good value depending on the speed and slope do not mind the Japanese client. Point as its European counterpart. way with the iOn, regardless of the profile of the road is the box and computer that selects the correct recovery of kinetic energy. You can not get any easier. " added bonus, this simplified interface helps to extend the autonomy of the iOn 150 km (European standard cycle) or 30% better than the i-MiEV Japanese cycle. What wonder why Mitsubishi was keen to keep the selection triple (D, Eco, B) on the i-MiEV to European destinations. While all cars come out of the same factory in Japan ...

The complete control of the transmission and aerodynamic profiling not explain alone the 30% gain autonomy. The rest is due to the lessons learned from test development. " Our knowledge of the lithium-ion batteries allows us to better understand the limits of their charge and discharge , "says Philippe Barriac. " This is important because if the technology lithium-ion cathodes based on manganese oxides we have chosen is insensitive to the memory effect, she still fears the total discharge. " In other words, it is possible to charge the batteries of the iOn as frequently as desired, but the charge rate must not fall below a minimum value closely monitored by the electronics.

" The computer of the i-MiEV Japanese forbade down to less than 15% charge rate, while we managed to down 5% safe batteries with the iOn , "said P. Barriac. When you know a load rate of 10% on average equivalent to 10 km traveled, we measure the gain. latter is especially significant when the alarm sounds to alert the driver that there are only two "bars" that make up the sixteen gauge. The loading rate is then 15% of what travel 15 km in the city. As this reserve is exhausted, the iOn displays a pictogram "gauge" to warn of the need to recharge, however brief. When turns off the last bar and the requested acceleration can no longer be fully issued, a symbol "turtle" lights and the computer implements an " exit strategy "that limits the available power gradually until complete stop of the vehicle. It cuts one by one to consumers devote little energy left to drive the engine, the way the human body which concentrates blood in vital organs in case of hypothermia. To give you an idea of idea, remember that depending on the temperature, the consumption of air conditioning and electric heating begins reserves batteries from 5 to 45% on average. We would almost sweating in the summer!

Apart from the selector box, the other big change made ​​by PSA for the vehicle structure. The French manufacturer has changed significantly. He also completed six airbags instead of four and a warning unbuckling belt, so that you can target the three rating stars in EuroNCAP future evaluations. A star is less than the Peugeot 107, but as a Dacia Logan positioned above two categories. " We wanted to spare the iOn the image of his car crif ie the safety of its passengers on the altar of lightness. We wanted to do away with the image embedded in the minds of the public that wants the electric car sharing with their construction without a permit quadricycles frail. This design is outdated. "

My Peugeot iOn, Battery 16 kW·h http://www.deficonso.com/V1965

Sorry, but this article has my Malarkey Meter pegged, so I shall insert responses in bold.

Quieter, better damped faster than the i-MiEV

If our British neighbors were the first to commercialization of the i-MiEV last year, it is only because of their insistence on driving "on the wrong side of the road", as in Japan. Version LHD which will land in the rest of Europe by the end of the year will be very different from the Japanese, unlike French versions released as shield.

Against all odds, in fact, the PSA was not merely a cosmetic treatment. Yet it has its usefulness, since Peugeot claims to be able to reduce aerodynamic drag, despite the transplant mirrors larger, according to the European standard. Initially, the cockpit has gained cachet, with a central console so " piano lacquer "deemed more flattering than the sad imitation of aluminum i-MiEV in Japan. Matter of taste. And this is not merely cosmetic? The i-MiEV European law will also better perceived quality. controls and instrumentation are those of the i-MiEV, with a digital speedometer flanked by display of autonomy and the rate of battery charge Lithium-ion battery. The center hand shows turn the power consumed during acceleration and lift the foot recovered, according to a logical view of the already hybrid Honda. What changes however is the tiny grid selector gearshift. Missing positions "Eco" and "B" for "Braking" of the i-MiEV! Instead, it is the only position "D" for "Drive". " We wanted to simplify the man-machine interface , "explains Philippe Barriac in charge iOn Project since its inception. " The selection of good value depending on the speed and slope do not mind the Japanese client. Point as its European counterpart. way with the iOn, regardless of the profile of the road is the box and computer that selects the correct recovery of kinetic energy. In other words, Pugeot thinks that it's customers get confused by options.You can not get any easier. " added bonus, this simplified interface helps to extend the autonomy of the iOn 150 km (European standard cycle) or 30% better than the i-MiEV Japanese cycle. Not possible unless they reduced max power or increased the depth of discharge or charge to a higher voltage. What wonder why Mitsubishi was keen to keep the selection triple (D, Eco, B) on the i-MiEV to European destinations. While all cars come out of the same factory in Japan ...

The complete control of the transmission and aerodynamic profiling not explain alone the 30% gain autonomy. The rest is due to the lessons learned from test development. " Our knowledge of the lithium-ion batteries allows us to better understand the limits of their charge and discharge , "says Philippe Barriac. " This is important because if the technology lithium-ion cathodes based on manganese oxides we have chosen is insensitive to the memory effect, she still fears the total discharge. " In other words, it is possible to charge the batteries of the iOn as frequently as desired, but the charge rate must not fall below a minimum value closely monitored by the electronics.

" The computer of the i-MiEV Japanese forbade down to less than 15% charge rate, while we managed to down 5% safe batteries with the iOn , "said P. Barriac. Danger Danger- good thing Pugeot offers an 8 year/100,000 mile battery warranty, including capacity, to back up this more aggressive battery treatment. :oops: Nope, it's only 5 yr/40,000 miles! Of course, I'm the one asking for more battery treatment options, but this is just fooling the customer. When you know a load rate of 10% on average equivalent to 10 km traveled, we measure the gain. latter is especially significant when the alarm sounds to alert the driver that there are only two "bars" that make up the sixteen gauge. The loading rate is then 15% of what travel 15 km in the city. As this reserve is exhausted, the iOn displays a pictogram "gauge" to warn of the need to recharge, however brief. When turns off the last bar and the requested acceleration can no longer be fully issued, a symbol "turtle" lights and the computer implements an " exit strategy "that limits the available power gradually until complete stop of the vehicle. It cuts one by one to consumers devote little energy left to drive the engine, the way the human body which concentrates blood in vital organs in case of hypothermia. To give you an idea of idea, remember that depending on the temperature, the consumption of air conditioning and electric heating begins reserves batteries from 5 to 45% on average. We would almost sweating in the summer!

Apart from the selector box, the other big change made ​​by PSA for the vehicle structure. The French manufacturer has changed significantly. He also completed six airbags instead of four and a warning unbuckling belt, so that you can target the three rating stars in EuroNCAP future evaluations. A star is less than the Peugeot 107, but as a Dacia Logan positioned above two categories. " We wanted to spare the iOn the image of his car crif ie the safety of its passengers on the altar of lightness. We wanted to do away with the image embedded in the minds of the public that wants the electric car sharing with their construction without a permit quadricycles frail. This design is outdated. "

My Peugeot iOn, Battery 16 kW·h http://www.deficonso.com/V1965 [/quote]

danpatgal said:
Congratulations on the car in SLC ... having grown up there (Sandy, to be precise) I've always wondered how an EV will do in such a hilly area. I suspect the iMiev better than others because it has such a strong regenerative drive mode (B). Have fun with it!

Dan

Yes, I feel like things pretty much even out with all the hills. Sure, it sucks some extra juice out of it going up hill, but the return trip can cost me no energy, or even provide a net gain — not too shabby. (I live south east of Liberty Park and have had a few recent trips to the U. I've had more RR when I got back than when I left.)

BlueLightning said:
Good price indeed, misterbleepy

Tools kit
To find the nearest load, enter a city or address http://fr.chargemap.com/
Green Race 3 is a calculator autonomy for electric cars, available free online http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/

Thanks for those links.

I think the first one is more useful in France - it shows my nearest charging point is over 125km away. That would be a quite a challenge to reach! There are a few nearer to me than that (but currently not very many).

The second link is interesting, as it gives a very detailed analysis of power consumption over a route, and shows the elevation changes over the route too. I've bookmarked this one, and will be using it in the future.

The article from the motoring magazine is interesting too - it seems to imply that on the iOn and C-Zero that increased regeneration is used with light pressure on the braking pedal, whereas that might not be the case with the iMiev - is that really the case?

misterbleepy said:
BlueLightning said:
The article from the motoring magazine is interesting too - it seems to imply that on the iOn and C-Zero that increased regeneration is used with light pressure on the braking pedal, whereas that might not be the case with the iMiev - is that really the case?
No. Regen on the i-MiEV increases when the brake pedal is lightly pressed, so the driver can increase regen without using the friction brakes.

alohart said:
misterbleepy said:
No. Regen on the i-MiEV increases when the brake pedal is lightly pressed, so the driver can increase regen without using the friction brakes.
OK - that's good then, as I assume if the i-MiEV does it that way then so does the iOn. I can go back to the way I used to drive my Prius using gentle braking to increase re-gen.
On the Prius, it was easy to feel the transition between regen braking and friction braking - you could clearly hear the pads hitting the discs. This was mainly due to the discs rusting through lack of use. Does this happen with these cars, or are the discs more rust resistant? I live by the seaside, and so there is plenty of salt around when the surf is up and it's windy - I'll be keeping an eye on the condition of the discs just in case.

misterbleepy said:
alohart said:
misterbleepy said:
OK - that's good then, as I assume if the i-MiEV does it that way then so does the iOn. I can go back to the way I used to drive my Prius using gentle braking to increase re-gen.
On the Prius, it was easy to feel the transition between regen braking and friction braking - you could clearly hear the pads hitting the discs. This was mainly due to the discs rusting through lack of use. Does this happen with these cars, or are the discs more rust resistant? I live by the seaside, and so there is plenty of salt around when the surf is up and it's windy - I'll be keeping an eye on the condition of the discs just in case.
maybe a little off topic, but I also own a 2010 Prius. I absolutely cannot tell when my car switches over from regen to friction braking, in spite of trying to hear and feel it many times.

fjpod said:
maybe a little off topic, but I also own a 2010 Prius. I absolutely cannot tell when my car switches over from regen to friction braking, in spite of trying to hear and feel it many times.
I presume yours is the 3rd generation Prius - both of mine (4 years driving each one) were the 2nd generation model. On the UK Prius mailing list, rusting brake discs was a known issue. I would hope that Toyota have made the 3rd generation brake discs out of something slightly less rust prone. The most noticeable time I could hear it was when slowing to a stop - the regen switched to friction braking at about 7mph on the speedo, and you would hear a slight "shhhhh" as the pads hit the rough discs.

Back