New Battery Technologies.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this stage in the game, the bottleneck isn't the battery, but getting that power into it. The charger and backbone needed to charge that battery would be massive. Charging one car would take the equivalent of three Superchargers.

Current Superchargers already provide 3-4 hours of driving on a 30 minute charge.

Soooo, let's do the math.

310.7 miles on a 80% charge means a pack of, say, around 125kWh.

80% means somewhere around 100kWh needs to be pumped in.

100kWh * 60min/hr / 20-minutes = 300kW charging rate

Present-day CHAdeMO and CCS is around 50kW and the present Tesla SuperCharger is around 120kW. All three are talking about 300kW capability in the future.

Methinks they're all going to have to be raising the battery voltage, as that will mean huge currents otherwise.

My little miev doesn't need 300 miles on a charge. But having the ability to do more than the 40 or so miles I do everyday would be great.
Right now, in order for me to make a trip, say to Seattle (about 175 miles one way) I stop at literally every charge station.
Do I do this everyday, month, year...nope. But I've done it once and being able to skip a station every now and again would be great. This would seriously be my only car if I could get a max of double my current mileage.
That's what I was banking on when I bought the car. Hoping that there would be an aftermarket battery manufacturer that would be able to replace my current battery(when it starts to decay) and give me improved range. Not much, but just so the car doesn't become completely obsolete.

Back