My second IMIEV does not make the normal fan noise.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice videos. The second one is marked "private" though.

My i-MiEV doesn't make that fan sound. Weird. I have an ES without CHaDEMO.

aarond12 said:
Nice videos. The second one is marked "private" though.
Fixed.

aarond12 said:
My i-MiEV doesn't make that fan sound. Weird. I have an ES without CHaDEMO.
This seems to fit the general consensus:
CHAdeMO = fan runs on plug-in.
No CHAdeMO = No fan on plug-in.

PV1 said:
Agreed. I'm going to take a guess at why. Standby for wild speculation! :cool:

The cars software just isn't very sophisticated. My non-chademo ES could probably would run the fan on plug-in/boot, if I had a way to mod software. Most likely the ChadeMo option is written into the software as a package. When the car boots up, it sees the Chademo is present and runs the "Chademo Package" which includes a fan test.

It runs this everytime the car is plugged-in/booted, regardless of level (Level 1. Level 2. Level 3. ANY LEVEL)
If the code was sophisticated a bit more, it would look at charging Level first, something like:
Code:
Is Level 3=true/false.  If=True, then=Check fan
Instead, it just sees the chademo is present and runs a quick fan check.

.</speculation> :p

iDriver said:
PV1 said:
Agreed. I'm going to take a guess at why. Standby for wild speculation! :cool:
:p

I'll take 'general consensus' to mean that I wasn't ignored, but rather tossed out as an outlier. ;) Since the fan does run every time my non-L3 car gets plugged in, it would seem reasonable to speculate that my car soemhow got the CHAdeMO software version, unless there's another feature that causes this. What about others who also have the cold weather package but no CHAdeMO- does your pack fan cycle with every plug-in?

jray3 said:
What about others who also have the cold weather package but no CHAdeMO- does your pack fan cycle with every plug-in?

Oooo! That's a good point. If the cold weather package has move warm air through the battery pack, it probably uses the same fan..... then yeah, I bet the fan check is part of bootup, even without the Chademo.

The only difference between the two is the port (and possibly related hard/software). However, both packages give you heated mirrors and battery, and on Mitsu's website, you can't order both packages. Maybe this doesn't have to go as far as getting CHAdeMO, just the cold weather package.

Does the fan run on cars without cold weather/quick charge/Premium packages? (does the Premium give you the battery heater since you get the CHAdeMO port?)

jray3 said:
What about others who also have the cold weather package but no CHAdeMO- does your pack fan cycle with every plug-in?
I have non-CHAdeMO ES with cold weather package and the fan performs the self test with every plug-in.

Thank you Jaracz- I'll call that mystery solved. Knowing that there's some overlap between the cold weather package and the CHAdeMO package gives some indication that the cold-market ES may have a better chance of being upgraded. IF anyone finds a discounted/salvage source for the parts, I'd appreciate a referral. The only iMiev from salvage auctions that I've been able to keep tabs on is Ben's flooded raspberry, but he's in no hurry to part it out... :|

Back