Mitsubishi only sold 127 i electric cars in April

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alohart said:
camiev said:
Mitsubishi only sold 127 i electric cars in April despite $10,000 dealer incentive

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/01/mitsubishi-only-sold-127-i-electric-cars-in-april-despite-10-00/

It doesnt matter what they do, they just can't sell this car.

Why???
One reason for the relatively poor April sales might be that only a couple hundred 2012 i-MiEV's are available in the U.S. with no 2013 models appearing on U.S. dealer lots. So in many areas of the U.S., the selection is very limited.

Good point. I wonder how the sales/inventory ratio holds up when compared to other models.

Archsteve said:
I wonder how the sales/inventory ratio holds up when compared to other models.
Mitsubishi has announced no 2013 U.S. model although a 2013 Canadian model is being sold. 2012 U.S. models are almost gone, so it's looking like Mitsubishi has no plans to continue selling an EV in the U.S. It would be relatively easy to produce a 2013 U.S. model, but with Nissan and others offering much lower pricing on their 2013 EV's, it's not clear that Mitsubishi could complete without losing money on each Japanese-made i-MiEV sold. Mitsubishi would probably have to produce its North American i-MiEV's in one of its North American factories to be able to compete on price, but there is no indication that Mitsubishi plans to do so.

alohart said:
Archsteve said:
I wonder how the sales/inventory ratio holds up when compared to other models.
Mitsubishi has announced no 2013 U.S. model although a 2013 Canadian model is being sold. 2012 U.S. models are almost gone, so it's looking like Mitsubishi has no plans to continue selling an EV in the U.S. It would be relatively easy to produce a 2013 U.S. model, but with Nissan and others offering much lower pricing on their 2013 EV's, it's not clear that Mitsubishi could complete without losing money on each Japanese-made i-MiEV sold. Mitsubishi would probably have to produce its North American i-MiEV's in one of its North American factories to be able to compete on price, but there is no indication that Mitsubishi plans to do so.

I think Mitsubishi believes Outlander PHEV is better adapted to USA market than little iMiev. Soon will be available for sale...

Took a test drive on Saturday -- Bob Dylan's birthday. Looks like our family is going electric. Just like Bob!

My only worry -- even with the $10k discount and the $7500 tax credit, is that the battery might be less than 100% coming off the lot after sitting for a year...

Quercus said:
Took a test drive on Saturday -- Bob Dylan's birthday. Looks like our family is going electric. Just like Bob!
Congratulations! I think you'll be happy with your decision.

Quercus said:
My only worry -- even with the $10k discount and the $7500 tax credit, is that the battery might be less than 100% coming off the lot after sitting for a year...
At the end of December, I bought an i-MiEV that had sat on the hot, sunny lot of the Honolulu Mitsubishi dealer for over a year. I, too, was a bit concerned about this, but my very early i-MiEV had a sticker price that reflected the i-MiEV's original price prior to its price increase. So I couldn't resist the savings :)

So far, I have observed no obvious degradation of my battery pack. I have seen range remaining estimates in the mid-90's after a full charge and can easily achieve 80 miles range in urban driving without too much freeway driving or A/C use. This seems to be quite normal. Of course, this is only a single data point which doesn't guarantee that some degradation might not appear later. It might also indicate that my Mitsubishi dealer did what they told me which was that they maintained the battery pack charge level around 50% while it was on the lot and performed monthly checks on the 12 v. and traction batteries.

alohart said:
At the end of December, I bought an i-MiEV that had sat on the hot, sunny lot of the Honolulu Mitsubishi dealer for over a year. I, too, was a bit concerned about this, but my very early i-MiEV had a sticker price that reflected the i-MiEV's original price prior to its price increase. So I couldn't resist the savings :)

I also bought one of these that sat on the roof of a Honolulu dealer exposed to full sun. So far after a full charge I almost always get more than the 62 miles to go estimate and often much more than that. Impressed so far with the battery life after sitting for a year. Oh, when I bought it the 12V battery was dead and needed to be jumped! The wait killed the 12V but didn't seem to do anything to the main battery pack.

I got the i car (ES) a few days ago. Now I know what range anxiety is! Re: Mitsu not being able to sell these cars, I believe there are several reasons:

1) Car is too small
2) User interface is not good, the silly remote instead of an iPhone app.
3) Not marketed well
4) Priced too high, Nissan Leaf is a much bigger, feature-rich and fun car than this one. But I couldn't resist the 10k rebate which of course is not advertised
5) No battery capacity warranty like Leaf
6) Pretty shabby interior

But if it can take me from point A to B and battery capacity does not decrease by more than 20% in 10 years, I would be happy!

"Mitsu not being able to sell these cars, I believe there are several reasons:

1) Car is too small
3) Not marketed well
4) Priced too high, Nissan Leaf is a much bigger, feature-rich and fun car than this one. But I couldn't resist the 10k rebate which of course is not advertised
5) No battery capacity warranty like Leaf
6) Pretty shabby interior "
=====================

I agree the Leaf is in SOME ways a superior car -- certainly with a more luxurious "feel". But not in every respect.
You haven't, I take it, looked into the problems the owners in hot climates have had with the Leaf's inferior cooling of the batteries? Or that, despite your statement that the Leaf has a battery capacity warranty, noticed that when the Phoenix Leaf owners got unexpected early degradation for the most part Nissan told them "tough luck" and they've had to sue?
One thing we noticed when comparing the Leaf and the MiEV before we purchased our MiEV was the Leaf had less useful loading room in the hatchback.... floor not flat back there.
Yeah, the remote's user interface is poorly designed on the MiEV.
But on net I like the driver's controls better on the MiEV.

As for "too expensive" the American buyer on net currently is saying regarding all EVs "they're too expensive"(when they compare any EV to a similar-class ICE car's price) and "I don't want a car that can only go 60 (or 100) miles before it has to be refueled overnight."
"Too small" is relative. Same size as the Honda Fit (and similar econocars) which sell millions.
I personally believe the MAIN reason Mitsubishi has had poor sales here (they're second in worldwide sales last year, and have more cars on the road worldwide than Leaf) is more to do with poor .. non-existent ... marketing than anything else.

alohart said:
Quercus said:
Congratulations! I think you'll be happy with your decision.

Quercus said:

So far, I have observed no obvious degradation of my battery pack. I have seen range remaining estimates in the mid-90's after a full charge and can easily achieve 80 miles range in urban driving without too much freeway driving or A/C use. This seems to be quite normal. Of course, this is only a single data point which doesn't guarantee that some degradation might not appear later. It might also indicate that my Mitsubishi dealer did what they told me which was that they maintained the battery pack charge level around 50% while it was on the lot and performed monthly checks on the 12 v. and traction batteries.

Definitely happy with the decision -- it's a nice honeymoon! Even if there is some serious degradation, my commute is 32+ miles r/t. That is a lot of room for degradation. But it had a nice full charge when I went back to pick it up and things seem to be a OK.

I think living near the water will moderate the worst of winter and summer temps and help the battery out a bit.

I can't get over how far off that YouTube Consumer Reports review was. The thing is fun to drive, feels tight and well built, and exceeds my expectations of a first generation mass produced electric. We love it.

senapati said:
1) Car is too small
For my wife and me, the Leaf is too big and heavy. We almost always have the rear seats folded down to take advantage of the i-MiEV's larger cargo capacity than a Leaf. Living in a congested city, parking and maneuvering our i-MiEV is much easier than a Leaf would be. Car size preference is personal.

senapati said:
I've never used our remote. I wouldn't want a smartphone interface because I'd have to pay for a mobile phone account to make it work. The K.I.S.S. principal has value to me.

senapati said:
I got the i car (ES) a few days ago. Now I know what range anxiety is! .......
But if it can take me from point A to B and battery capacity does not decrease by more than 20% in 10 years, I would be happy!

You'll probably find the longer you drive it the more it'll grow on you.
Range consciousness is definitely something that comes with the territory but once you get some experience with really understanding how far 16, 12, or even 3 "bars of charge" can take you... Under what road conditions, speed, etc , range anxiety changes to range consciousness.. My wife considers it "an art" and enjoys it. ;)

I bet not one member of this group has ever "ran out of range" on the road or had an incident where range limit blindsided them significantly.

EV sales for the month of May 2013 are out:

Leaf 2138
Volt 1607
Miev 91

The 91 sales were with a $10,000 rebate, $7,500 tax credit and an $89 a month lease available all month long.

And how many of the 91 were repeat buyers?
It seems that very few potential customers were made aware of the $10k, that Mitsu is instead leaving it to dealers to figure it out, who in turn may be satisfied to sit back and let enthusiasts and word-of-mouth buyers scavenge up the leftover inventory. The sales manager of my dealership has been taking home my trade-in ES home every night for a week now, and all of a sudden, he's a fan! He'd never been in one for more than a ten minute test drive, and had remained in 'first impressions' mode. :roll: He excitedly told me the story of forcing his wife to drive the i during date night, as she's also wedded to a Dodge Hemi pickup, but after the grumbling came.... the Grin. :mrgreen:

archie_b said:
The 91 sales were with a $10,000 rebate, $7,500 tax credit and an $89 a month lease available all month long.
i-MiEV sales would certainly have been much higher had the local inventory existed. With these incentives, I can't think of any new car, even those with an ICE, that could have been purchased for less. So sales must have been severely constrained by the fact that most interested buyers would have had to buy sight-unseen and would have had to pay for shipping from a far-away dealer who still had inventory.

If Mitsubishi is planning to sell a 2013 model in the U.S. as some have suggested, they certainly know how to drive customers to competitors by allowing remaining inventory to dwindle to almost nothing.

alohart said:
If Mitsubishi is planning to sell a 2013 model in the U.S. as some have suggested, they certainly know how to drive customers to competitors by allowing remaining inventory to dwindle to almost nothing.
I think that question answers itself - there will not be a 2013 i-MiEV for the U.S. market. I hope Mitsu cracks the code for 2014 and delivers either an updated i-MiEV or something else in the "basic EV" category. Otherwise, the only options for basic <$30k EV transport will be the Leaf S and the Smart ED, unless GM defies expectations and takes the Spark EV beyond CARB-mandate areas (I'm not holding my breath). Alas, the only EV reports/rumors I've heard from Mitsu are about the Outlander PHEV. I think that could be an exciting story in its own right depending on pricing and EV range, providing a real EV option for one-car households (the Volt always having been impractically cramped for many duties), but again, it doesn't address the low-cost commuter EV segment.
I would love to have gotten one of these great $10k discounted deals on the dwindling selection of i-MiEVs, but I'm more than happy to have secured exactly the car I wanted back when orders were being filled. For most of the country (including my area), it looks like there will be very few affordable EV options for a while, especially if one is concerned that Nissan's battery issues have not been adequately addressed.

MLucas said:
Other than Nissan and Tesla, I think EV fever has gone cold again...
So what's happened to the spirit of adventure by the American populace? I mean, with an average of over two cars/household and an average of around 30 miles/day/car, surely you'd think more people would spring for an EV, even if only to think they're trying it out as a 'second' car in the family. Dunno about everyone else, but our iMiEV is BY FAR the primary daily-driving vehicle in our family (>1Kmiles/mo), with the hybrid used only for long trips. Fuel is getting stale in all the other ICE vehicles.

Back