Level 2 Charging at Home Stops

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Applewins said:
This unit also has the capability of a higher charge rate for my next electric car when this lease is up.
That's a great point. While I'm using the L1 charger due to the few miles I travel daily, maybe someday my next electric vehicle will need an L2 charger. Since my car is leased too, I don't want to modify my OEM charger for 240V.

Applewins said:
aarond12 said:
The version 1 charger doesn't list compatibility with the i-MiEV in its description, but the version 2 (more expensive, of course) does. Unless you enjoy returning products, I might not let the low price of the version 1 tempt you.

Did anyone else see the Leviton unit with the 240V plug? I think it is $799. Nice because it plugs into existing wiring.

I currently have the version 2 Schneider that I purchased from Home Depot, and this is the second one. Schneider replaced the first one. The Siemans Versacharge NEMA-4 comes with both hard wire version or with a pig tail. Yes, a little pricier at $849.oo, from HD, but really don't care at this point. I'm just looking for something that works, and these units overall get very good reviews. I'll repost again later this week with results. This unit also has the capability of a higher charge rate for my next electric car when this lease is up.

Here's another followup to my charging issues....this happened last week to me and this is an edited email to my dealership.
Thought I would drop an email concerning the charging issues with the MiEV. Not really sure what's going on with it. What I haven't relayed to you is that after two Schneider chargers with no resolve to the issue, I sent it back to Home Depot and replaced it with a Siemens charger. For the last three weeks my charging issues have worked flawlessly and boy was I relieved.
Yesterday, as you know, I had the car in for the warranty recall for the brake pump and some flashing of the software for charger compatibility. We think the car was charging after the repairs so I could make it home. Not sure now if it was actually charging at your office now, because it only had about 30 miles registered when I left and I made it home in turtle mode ( that was close).

Here's what happened yesterday. I got home, plugged the car in, jump in the other car and went to work. My wife called me about an hour later and said the charger had kicked off. So she unplugged it and plugged it in again and it started charging. Shortly thereafter it disconnected again. She called me again and I said unplug and plug it back in again. She did and now it wouldn't even see the connection. Nothing.....dead! I said I'd check it out when I get home.
When I got home I plugged it in and nothing. Unplugged, plugged it and about 5 times, still nothing. Called Mitsubishi service and she recommended trying the 120volt charger from Mitsubishi. Did that, still nothing, car wouldn't see it. Now I'm panicking a little and called desaler again and concluded all we can do is call Mitsubishi and get it towed. So I arranged the towing with Mitsubishi and calledMitsubishi back one more time letting them know she should be expecting the car.

After all this happens and I get this arranged, I thought I'd try the charger again and I'll be damned, when I plugged it in, the car saw it and started to charge. The dealer must now think I'm nuts when I called her backed again and said it seems to be working now, so I canceled the towing, etc.

Ok, so it's charging for a while, I delay the charge to start after 11pm, decided to check it via remote in the middle of the night and it stopped again at 1/2 charge. Checked it again a few hours later and it stopped again, started it up remotely and by 9 this morning I got it fully charged.

I'm not sure what to do next. 3 chargers, one certification by your service department, a follow up visit by my electrician to test the line and still having issues. I might add that I've also charged at a few public charge points with no issues.

Did the service work perform yesterday change something? This really has to come down to a process of elimination. With all that's been done, one theory (mine) is that the actual contact points where the connection is made is dirty, causing random connection issues. That might explain why both the Mitsubishi charger and my charger wouldn't connect yesterday. I'm going to get some electric contact cleaner spray today and see if that's the answer. Beyond that, the only other test, if this continues, would be for me to borrow a different electric vehicle for 72 hours to see if the problem is replicated, concluding from that, is it related to my home charging system or the car?

So, that was the email I sent. I went out and purchased a can of electrical cleaner, covered the paint and liberally sprayed cleaner on and in both connects. So guess what? The random disconnects I've been having has completely stopped. The only thing I can speculate is that because it was a demo car and a year old, who knows what or who has been connecting to it for a year. I think I've resolved the issue with a $3.99 can oF electrical cleaner.

WOW. I have yet to experience this problem, but an inspection of my L2 EVSE shows that on the J1772 handle, the grounding sleeve (longest of the three big contacts) is dull and the surrounding plastic has what appears to be beige mineral deposits or oxidized plastic on it, while the other sleeve connectors are bright and shiny. I've used it in the rain a lot, which may indicate a bit of ground current leakage. Perhaps a periodic check and cleaning of these conductors is something to put on our maintenance schedule. My Leafy friends have commented that a rain shield is now available for their charging port, but Nissan has been mum on whether it's actually recommended and I can't tell from the photos if it actually keeps rain out...
http://shop.davidhaytonnissan.com/product/LEAF_Charging_Port_Lid_Cover_K9002-3UA0A

It could be a problem in your charging station like premature overload trip, or in the wiring, or a software communication problem between the station and the car's charger. If anything awry is sensed, the car's default response is to stop charging for self preservation. This could be a a tough one to solve. The issue could be possibly circumvented by taking a whole different approach. The portable charging cable that comes with the MiEV can be upgraded to accept 120 or 240V. Mine had been done before I bought it (used). I already had a 240V L6-20 outlet put in for a previous EV, so all I had to do was drive the car home and plug in. I use that exclusively and don't even own a wall-mounted charging station. I have numerous adapters with which I can plug into a variety of 240V outlet configurations designed for dryers, stoves, industrial equipment etc., which I use when visiting out-of-town family and friends.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Bill

Applewins, thank you so much for your follow-up post. When I read it I ran out to the garage and with a magnifying glass examined both of my EVSE and car's J1772 connector pins - no problem, they're all nice and shiny; however, I've always charged indoors and have never ever let any moisture onto the connector. I wonder if performing even a simple visual examination like this might become part of an annual inspection checklist? :geek: Brings to mind the scary new higher-power Toyota RAV4EV Blink problem discussed on the Leaf forum.

JoeS said:
Applewins, thank you so much for your follow-up post. When I read it I ran out to the garage and with a magnifying glass examined both of my EVSE and car's J1772 connector pins - no problem, they're all nice and shiny; however, I've always charged indoors and have never ever let any moisture onto the connector. I wonder if performing even a simple visual examination like this might become part of an annual inspection checklist? :geek: Brings to mind the scary new higher-power Toyota RAV4EV Blink problem discussed on the Leaf forum.

You're welcome! Another week has passed and charging is happening like its supposed to with no problems. I am absolutely convinced the connections were dirty and that spraying them cleaned them for a good connection. I think I'll make it a quarterly maintenance procedure.

Oops, obviously I should have read the posts all the way through before adding my two cents. Thanks for the follow up. I'm going to buy a can of that electrical cleaner--just for insurance.

Bill

To provide a data point- I've never used the timer after an ugly experience early on but re-learned enough to confirm that it works fine thus far with my SPX Level II charger. I've started to stop (or not initiate) charging around 40-50% (which will get me to the office or hospital in an emergency), and restart charge 2-3 hrs before morning departure to get a full start to the day. As confidence builds with this technique, I'll aim for 80% unless a heavy use day is planned.

Back