Level 1 EVSE options

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a couple of OWL wireless power monitor devices at Lowes on clearance for $51.60 they are normally from around $130 to $150.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_322967-15819-CM119_4294934297__?catalogId=10051&productId=3439258&UserSearch=owl&Ntt=owl&N=4294934297&identifier=Building+Supplies&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24&searchQueryType=1

This device measures power usage at your main panel using a couple of CTs (Current Transformers). They are inductive so you don't have to do anything to the existing wiring except clamp the two CTs over each of the two live phase cables.

You can also attach an Owl device over your EVSE-L2 power line wires and measure the power used in kw and kwh used. Note that the two CTs are rather large so they wont fit in a standard 4 inch electrical box, you will need something larger.

This is a very low cost way to monitor you power usage for charging the car.

So for a Mitsubishi EVSE upgraded by EVSEupgrade here is what it reads:

12.5 amp @ 240v = 2.881 kw
12.0 amp @ 120v = 1.441 Kw

I also measured my Levition L2 EVSE:

16 amp @240v = 3.000 Kw

More info (this company is in the UK):
http://www.theowl.com/

jjlink, thanks for the data and info about the OWL power monitor - good price.

Today I went over to a friend's house and made some 120v tests on his iMiEV using my Kill-A-Watt P4400. Note that this is an uncalibrated consumer product, but, nevertheless, it does give us some idea of what's going on. Had no trouble with its operation.

He has the modified EVSEUpgraded Mitsubishi Level 1 EVSE <http://evseupgrade.com> which means it can run on either 120vac (Level 1) or 240vac (Level 2).

The EVSEUpgraded unit showed 1390W (1400VA), 12.08A on the Kill-A-Watt

We then took my SPX Power Xpress (which also runs either Level 1 or Level 2) and used my 120vac adapter -

With the SPX set to the 12A position, the Kill-A-Watt showed 1290W (1300VA)

With the SPX set to the 16A position, the Kill-A-Watt showed 1625W (1630VA)

Conclusion: the Mitsubishi "i" iMiEV onboard charger can handle higher currents at 120vac than its own puny 8A Level 1 EVSE allows. For many people this higher current ability at 120vac may well provide sufficient recharging on a daily basis to obviate the need for installing an expensive Level 2 EVSE at home. After all, Mitsubishi insists that we have a dedicated separately-breakered 15A circuit when we sign their Disclosure Form.

Woo-hoo, thanks JoeS. Time for me to build that adaptor and run the SPX on 120V. I charge on a 20A 120V circuit at work, and this'll cut my recovery time nearly in half. :)

Yep, I've built an adaptor and the SPX set at 16 amp max on 120V pulling a steady 1750 to 1755 Watts, according to my Kill-a-Watt meter. The adaptor uses 15' of 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit, next to see how much that stresses 15a circuits. This makes a 120v recharge reasonable for full recovery overnight (9+ hrs) for those without easy 240V access. In other words, the Mitsu Level 1 EVSE only recharges at 2-3 mph, but SPX is yielding 5.8 mph and 240V level 2 is recharging at about 10.6 mph. (based on observed charging amperage and 300 w/hr/mile, without conversion losses.)

Home depot will have the Legrand level 1 charger, model L1EVSE, 12 amps, available to purchase in about 2 to 3 weeks. Price should be around $495.

If you do not already have a dedicated 240 volt circuit where you will be charging your i-MiEV, this level 1 charger maybe a good alternative.
1. It charges 50% faster than the Mitsubishi unit
2. Cost is about 1/2 of some level 2 chargers
3. It is portable and allows you to put more miles back in the battery when out and about.

For me adding a dedicated 240 volt circuit to my garage would cost $1200. Upgrading my 120 volt circuit and adding a GFCI was $375. Cost to do a level 1 charger is $870. Cost to do a level 2 charger, using the cheapest level 2 charger, is $1949. In my case I saved almost $1100.

Each owner will have to determine if level 1 will work for them. In my case I had a 12 hour window to charge at $0.055 a kilowatt hour. Peak time rate increased to $0.207. By using the L1EVSE, charging times decreased enough that I can charge the car within this 12 hour window. Spending more than double on a level 2 charger would not change anything, other than the charging cycle would be completed well before the 12 hour window ended. For me, the L1EVSE meets my needs.

I have read some posts concerning the light duty wire on the L1EVSE (14 gauge). This is the appropriate size wire for a 12 amp 120 volt device. If you wanted to use this unit to upgrade using upgradeEVSE.com, it would not be appropriate. For me this Legrand level 1 unit provided the best use of my money and will keep the car fully charged..

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this blog.

I have my silver base iMiEV since mid March 2012 and I live in NJ. Based on the information here, I have opted for EVSEupgrade that was done during July 2012 ($332). Please note that as of early July 2012, the information on EVSEupgrade site specifies that the upgraded iMiEV EVSE will provide max 13 Amps for 240V charging.
I have than used Belkin power meter, Model # F7C005 (just like Kill-a-watt) to measure power usage for 120V charging. Prior charging, the vehicle was driven 1-2 miles with turtle icon on, so quite empty battery. The peak wattage was 1486 W (12.4A at 120V) and after some 12 hours, the average wattage was 1460 and the vehicle showed 16 bars but still charging at full speed. The next time I came to check was 1 hour later at which time the charging was already completed. So, I am thinking that the upgraded EVSE gives full charge after 12.5 hours when charging at regular 120V.
When I plugged it into 240V outlet - and it was a separate experiment when battery was not completely drained - I was coming back and forth to see the bars in the vehicle's fuel gauge coming up. The Belkin device could not be used in this case. Although the first new bar (started at 5 bars) showed up after 29 minutes, the additional bars came up much faster, averaging 19.3 minutes per bar for a total of 10 bars. That is faster than 24 minutes per bar at ChargePoint Network, where I can monitor charging and it caps at some 2880 watts (12A). A simple math gives me 15A charging rate for upgraded EVSE. That is awesome.

On a separate note, when charging at 120V, I can continue using the iMiEV remote to use climate control. However, when charging at 240V, the moment I turn on the iMiEV remote, the vehicle gives me error message (Electric motor unit warning light) and the charging stops (must be re-plugged to resume). When the charging is complete, the remote works normally even on 240V power.

jaraczs, that is excellent data about the actual performance of the EVSEUpgraded unit! It is certainly a cost-effective way to go, and should easily suit most people's needs. I just wish Mitsubishi's EVSE used heavier-gauge wires...

Interesting that the Remote hiccups using the modified EVSE ... you might tell Phil at EVSEUpgrade about this. I have a slightly different problem: when using my SPX Xpress at 240vac, my Remote often gives a communications error beep and needs to be punched a few times for the charging start and end times to 'take'. Solved it by installing a mechanical timer.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2910#p2910

jaraczs said:
When I plugged it into 240V outlet - I was coming back and forth to see the bars in the vehicle's fuel gauge coming up. The Belkin device could not be used in this case. Although the first new bar (started at 5 bars) showed up after 29 minutes, the additional bars came up much faster, averaging 19.3 minutes per bar for a total of 10 bars. That is faster than 24 minutes per bar at ChargePoint Network, where I can monitor charging and it caps at some 2880 watts (12A). A simple math gives me 15A charging rate for upgraded EVSE. That is awesome.
I'm in a similar situation - I can measure the watts drawn by the upgraded EVSE on L1 and I get just shy of 1500 watts and a current of 12.4 or 12.5 but I am unable to measure things on 240. I am hesitant to comment doubting your data, but I'm not so sure your upgraded EVSE is delivering any more than 12.5 amps on L2. Phil is very aware of the 16 gauge cordset used on the Mitsubishi EVSE and I'm 99 44/100% sure he would not set it up to deliver 15 amps over 16 gauge wires . . . . unless yours was an 'accident' that slipped out the door somehow. I would question him on this if I were you. I know he does set up the Leaf EVSE's for 15 amps (Which are identical to ours except that they have a 14 gauge cordset) so it may be that someone mixed yours up with one of those. Check with Phil

As you may have noticed, our 16 gauge cord does get pretty warm using L1 at 12.4 amps . . . . does yours get any warmer on L2? If it was delivering 15 amps, I'm sure it would be noticably warmer. 15 amps requires a minimum of 14 gauge wire and it would be completely against the NEC to do this using only 16 gauge wire

Yes, Phil's service at just over $300 is the best deal in town for those who do not have anything other than the OEM EVSE to charge the car. We use ours everyday, usually on Level 1

Don

archie_b said:
I have read some posts concerning the light duty wire on the L1EVSE (14 gauge). This is the appropriate size wire for a 12 amp 120 volt device. If you wanted to use this unit to upgrade using upgradeEVSE.com, it would not be appropriate. For me this Legrand level 1 unit provided the best use of my money and will keep the car fully charged..
I bought a Legrande L1 EVSE, 8A/12A switchable. It's not 14 gauge as you mentioned, but 16 gauge (the wire size is printed on the orange cable in tiny lettering). I returned it to Home Depot

Don

Don, thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I have just charged my car on 240V (actual measured 242-247V) from 0 to full to address your questions. The vehicle was showing 1 mile remaining prior to charging. This time, I was less carefull to catch the moment for each bar on vehicle fuel gauge to appear. However, as previously, there was some variability in time laps between each bars coming up. The 15th bar came up before 4h 52 minute of charging and I have missed the 16th but I would extrapolate it to 5h 10 minutes (it was there for sure at 5h 19 min). The charging continued (cell balancing) until 6h 2 minutes at which time the charging light came off. I think this charging rate is possible only at currents above 13A.
I tried to touch the cable several times to "measure" the temperature but to be honest, I can't see a difference when the reference (120V charging) was done on a separate day and at different outdoor temperature. It does not mean the cable is not warmer, it is just my inability to assess this in a reliable way. In theory, the heat produced at 15A compared to 12A is 56% higher:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_heating

Last item on my list is to contact Phil from EVSEupgrade to discuss.

Thanks,
Stan

Volt owners can't upgrade their level 1 EVSE equipment (according to evseupgrade.com), so I am thinking about swapping my Level 1 with a Volt owner so that he can upgrade the Mitsubishi Level 1 and I could use his Volt level 1 (I already have level 2 at home). The Volt level 1 charges up to 12amps (much better than the stock 8amp of the i) and the Volt could then charge up more than twice as fast (13amps x 240v = 3000w) using a 240 outlet.

Does anyone know if there are compatibilty issues with these EVSEs? Can I charge the i using a level 1 Voltec? Can the Volt charge up with the upgraded Mitsubishi i Level 1? I'm pretty sure it's no problem, but wondered if anyone has done this or had any experience with Volts and i's swapping EVSEs. I'm also wondering if I should do that since evse upgrade implies the Volt EVSE is junky.

Thanks - Dan

danpatgal said:
Volt owners can't upgrade their level 1 EVSE equipment (according to evseupgrade.com), so I am thinking about swapping my Level 1 with a Volt owner so that he can upgrade the Mitsubishi Level 1 and I could use his Volt level 1

I'm also wondering if I should do that since evse upgrade implies the Volt EVSE is junky.
I think you'd be doing some lucky Volt owner a huge favor - There is no comparing the quality of our Panasonic unit compared to the Voltec unit, which I suspect is why Phil refuses to touch them. If you decide to go ahead anyway, make sure you're getting the second generation Voltec, as GM replaced the original ones due to overheating cords/connectors

An upgraded OEM Panasonic unit is the perfect carry along EVSE, IMO - A quality unit able to charge at 12.5 amps L1 or L2. I had mine upgraded and I would never part with it
Don

JoeS said:
danpatgal, I can't answer your questions but I would first check to make sure the iMiEV Remote works with this EVSE, as the Voltec is made by SPX and my Remote is not happy with my SPX L2 EVSE.

Yo Joe, this is the first I've heard of remote problems with the SPX. My L2 SPX has kept the i quite happy for 10 months, 12k miles, and about 300 charging sessions. I'm just starting to use the remote for morning warmup again after 6+ months of zero use, so could you describe the issues you've observed?

I did just discovered that the SPX is finckier (or further from spec) than other EVSE about the pilot signal. A J1772 upgrade to the Manzanita Micro charger for DIY EVs that I'm Beta testing will activate Blink, Panasonic, and ChargePoint EVSE, but not my SPX L2....

Thanks,
Jay

Hi Jay,
As I've posted in a number of places (gawd, we've got too many scattered topics on this Forum), my Remote has a hard time communicating with my iMiEV when the SPX L2 EVSE is plugged in.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4690#p4690
Used to be I would need to push the Enter button one or two times on the Remote in order to get an error-free "take". After I had the the Cell Monitoring Unit update done this week, I tried it five times and it gave me an error each time for the on->off time entry, so I've given up and simply use a manual wall timer. The pre-heat did work with the Remote using the SPX.
The Remote works just fine first time every time using Mitsu's L1 (Panasonic) EVSE. I haven't tried using the SPX in L1 mode to see if it works with the Remote.
The SPX L2 EVSE works just fine as long as the Remote is not used for controlling the charge time. I did have a one-time aberration right after the upgrade (an unexplained charging shutdown), but it has not recurred.

Back