IMiev Chassis

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I'm about to buy a gasoline 'i' car, and according to everything I've read, it has an aluminium spaceframe chassis, with steel body panels.

I got some figures off the internet... The difference between the kerb weights of a gasoline 'i' (790kg) and an iMiev (1110kg), is 320kg. The battery is 160kg. The electric motor is 65kg. Hmm!
(PS I expect the chassis, aluminium or steel, will be obscured in the 'i' by undertrays and probably panels, and more so for the iMiev!)

Welcome aboard Mark.
Scroll back through this thread, and you'll see the the production car is all steel. They sent mixed messages in the lead-up to production...

@Mark: Any reason you're buying a gas-powered i than an electric i? From your spelling of "kerb", I would say you're somewhere in Europe. Care to enlighten us? :)

Hi,

I'm in the UK and at present an EV isn't practical for me. The gas (petrol) version is, though. I joined this forum because the electric version does interest me, and still has much in common with the 'i'. Well, some anyway...
I wasn't sure if it was a definite conclusion that the chassis is steel. But I've just realised that the US iMiev is longer and wider, which means a re-tooled spaceframe, and economies must have dictated that it be made of steel not aluminium...
;)

I'd be happy to try sticking a magnet to anywhere you think the chassis/spaceframe/monocoque is accessible to see if it is really steel or aluminium. My car is a peugeot ion, but it is really an iMiEV under the badges.
Presumably the body around the sills and pillars that is exposed when the doors are open is the spaceframe - I'll grab a magnet off the fridge this morning and try it on those areas this morning, and post my findings later...

I had my 'i' on a lift and went over the underside, and found no metal part that wasn't magnetic... so unless I find the secret panel that it's hidden behind, I tend to think the aluminium spaceframe chassis exists only in the publicity material.
:(

Back