I Miev not in Mitsubishi's Future

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wmcbrine said:
It says "no new i-MiEV successor", i.e. the i-MiEV is not being replaced at this time. If anything, that (weakly) suggests that it will continue as is.

This seems to have been the "strategy" (if that is what you'd call it) with the iMiev from the start. In 5+ years, we've got seen one meaningful refresh of the range, nor any serious attempt at active marketing. In the UK market, Mitsu still sell (or, more accurately, don't sell) at £28.5k, which is way over twice the price Citroen want for the C-zero.

I'm guessing that they have no real interest in pure EVs, but both they and PSA have to keep the iMiev for compliance reasons, so they all hang together. It's sad as the design has a lot of unrealized potential as a no-nonsense A to B electric workhorse, and even more so given the number of European cities restricting or charging ICEs has increased significantly recently.

In a fantasy world, some other manufacturer with a strong stake in affordable EVs like Mahindra or BYD would buy the rights to the iMiev design, tweak with some updates, and go mass market.

Back