How to install after market stereo in ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
He is installing 5 1/4" diameter speakers -- the frame opening is kind of triangular
The front 6.5 inch speakers have about a 1 inch spacer between them and the door frame so only the magnet sticks back in the odd shaped hole - This spaces them out closer to the speaker grille in the door panel. I would examine the front speakers first and then do something similar for the rears

Actually, if it was my car and I had no speakers at all in the rear, I would move the crappy OEM speakers from the front to the rear and then buy a set of quality speakers for the fronts

Don

I also installed the Clarion CX501. Great instructions. How do you get part numbers for the i-MiEV? Is there a manual showing the part numbers? I would like to make further modifications.

I need this panel but in matt black?/dark grey with silver details on each side:
2012-Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-SE-Instrument-Panel-Image.jpg

i-miev-dash1-520x348.jpg

My dealer in Norway says he can't provide this and I've been searching the internet without luck. Can someone hook me up?

bruisepristine,
I think that is the US spec bezel for the US SE with Navi.

If you really want, you could order the part on-line and ship the part to me here in the US. And then I'll ship it to you, (you pay for the shipping.) I do not think it will be cheap, but I'd be happy to help you as a remote US hands.

Thank you Plankton! Just ordered my parts. I just wasted $1500 on a "new" ES head unit (P.O.S.) at dealer. I changed to aftermarket speakers and for some reason that damn H.U. didn't like the speakers (kept getting "DC ERROR"). The dealer couldn't or wouldn't figure it out, but did discover my aftermarket speakers. So they blame all problems on me and charge me 1500 for a new H.U. I wish I saw your thread 6 mos. ago!

boscoe said:
...kept getting "DC ERROR"...
From what I understand from others who have put aftermarket rear speakers in the car is that one of the wires accidentally touches the metal body, grounding the signal, causing the "DC ERROR" message. Make sure your wires are well-insulated and your speaker lugs are covered in electrical tape.

Thanks aarond, but hopefully will be a moot point because as soon as i'm able i'll switch out that P.O.S. stock headunit. :evil:

I installed the factory rear speakers in the rear doors of my ES model. Real easy installation. Plug in, twist in. The wiring is already there. Fits perfectly. I had already upgraded the stereo. My teenage daughters were always asking to turn up the volume because they couldn't hear it in the back. Now they complain that it's too loud and want me to turn it down. The part number is 8720A101 and the speakers can be ordered at http://www.ricartparts.com for $87.50 each, plus $17.50 for shipping. Stock is from Japan, so it takes a month or so to get them. The speakers are 40 watts and have a really good sound. Nice base too. I put duct seal around the speakers to seal around the plastic sheet in the door. Duct seal can be found in the electrical department at Home Depot. One pound of duct seal is $2.48.
OBSqArO.jpg

Robert, Thanks for the pic and info - any problems installing? Did the rear door panel just pop off?

MPT

My door panel had 4 screws: One at the rearward part of the panel, one in the arm rest, one in the door handle opener, and one long machine screw at the front part of the panel. After that, I used a screwdriver to carefully pop the plastic rivets loose from the bottom of the panel. It takes a significant amount of force and makes quite a loud POP when the rivets let loose. The rivets are not damaged by the removal.

MPT,
Yes. aarond12 is correct. 4 screws. Then I just pull toward me at the bottom with both hands (you can get your fingers in just enough) and the plastic rivets pop.
Disconnect the two cables for the handle and the lock (turn and pull up) and unplug the electrical connector (push in the tab and pull).

Plankton said:
I finally got my double din stereo installed and thought I'd share how I did it for those who are interested.
........I purchased the double din panel for the SE from Mitsubishi. Part number: 8002A116HC. This is for the silver one, they have a black one as well but I dont have the part number. It was $120 from the dealer, I purchased from http://www.RicartParts.com for $87.50 plus shipping. Was a perfect fit, no modifications needed.

Pardon what seems like a dumb question with what I think is an obvious answer:

What's a "double din stereo?"
Seems pretty obvious you took out the whole factory installed radio and replaced it. Yes?

But what does "double din" or "Double DIN" mean?

-------------
And mind saying what the new radio itself cost?
Are you still happy with it?
Would you buy a different one today or do anything differently if you had this to do over again?

By the way: What did you do with the old radio?

Alex

DIN stands for "German industry norms".

1 Din is the standard car radio and double Din is twice the hight.

My personal opinion is that if you do get the bezel to have a double Din space, I would still install a 1Din radio even with a popup screen like that the other Din space could serve as a handy space for putting your mobile or other small items.

acensor said:
Plankton said:
I finally got my double din stereo installed and thought I'd share how I did it for those who are interested.
........I purchased the double din panel for the SE from Mitsubishi. Part number: 8002A116HC. This is for the silver one, they have a black one as well but I dont have the part number. It was $120 from the dealer, I purchased from http://www.RicartParts.com for $87.50 plus shipping. Was a perfect fit, no modifications needed.

Pardon what seems like a dumb question with what I think is an obvious answer:

What's a "double din stereo?"
Seems pretty obvious you took out the whole factory installed radio and replaced it. Yes?

But what does "double din" or "Double DIN" mean?

-------------
And mind saying what the new radio itself cost?
Are you still happy with it?
Would you buy a different one today or do anything differently if you had this to do over again?

By the way: What did you do with the old radio?

Alex

I linked the radio in the 4th post on page 1 i think.

It serves my needs well, i mainly wanted satellite radio and bluetooth, both work great. Navigation of the inputs sucks imo but something you get used to.

If I were to buy a new radio I would probably get something better at this point, something with GPS built in.

I have the original radio in a box in storage. I'll re-install it if I ever sell/trade the iMiev but I dont see that happening for a long long time.

So I've decided to upgrade my ES no-nav version of the i. Just one problem... i can't find the Bezel for sale anywhere. Anyone have a line on where I could get it?

iDriver said:
So I've decided to upgrade my ES no-nav version of the i. Just one problem... i can't find the Bezel for sale anywhere. Anyone have a line on where I could get it?

I found these by googling "Mitsubishi 8002A116HC". Unfortunately no pictures or descriptions.

http://www.mitsubishipartsdept.com/OEMParts/mitsubishi-141/8/8002A116HC.html

http://www.discountmitsubishiparts.com/OEMParts/mitsubishi-141/8/8002A116HC.html

iDriver said:

I linked where I got mine on page 1 of this thread as well

Back