First service

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jenn,
Congrats on one-year ownership and letting us know that that one-year service test consisted of. It was nice that they didn't charge you for the filter, but how much did that one-year service cost? For myself, I'm tempted to take the car in for the Clipper Creek compatibility update to see if it fixes my SPX issues with the Remote. Since I'd rather not exercise my battery unnecessarily with a full cycle test (and I can change the air filter myself), I'll hold off for now and wait until the brake recall (if any) notification comes through.

Hi Joe,

There was no charge at all for the service.

Besides the clipper creek update, the CMU update seemed to make my RR calculator much more sensitive. The mileage goes down more quickly, but then goes back up quickly with regen braking. Before the update it was more smoothed out, not moving up and down so much. Real life mileage seems to be about the same, though.

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
Besides the clipper creek update, the CMU update seemed to make my RR calculator much more sensitive.
Hmm, after I had the CMU 1204e update done, it didn't seem to affect my RR at all. Did you get a chance to try your Remote with any of the EVSEs such as Clipper Creek or SPX to see if the Remote problem has been fixed?

Hi Joe,

I only use my remote with my home Avcon charger and it works the same as it did before. When I try to pre-heat I usually get an error the first time, then it takes. I don't have any other remote issues.

Jenn

I just had the software update and the brake recalled pump replaced.

I found the same Changes to the RR gauge,
Much faster adjustment in the reading to adapt to the new driving conditions, Hills/Speed, etc.

sandange said:
I just had the software update and the brake recalled pump replaced.
I found the same Changes to the RR gauge,
Much faster adjustment in the reading to adapt to the new driving conditions, Hills/Speed, etc.
Very interesting: that would indicate to me that instead of using the past 15 miles (which someone had once posted) that perhaps the distance over which the RR does its computation has now been reduced. Truth be told, I would find it difficult to detect a difference as not only do we live in hilly country, but my wife's and my own driving styles are markedly different, and we trade-off using the car throughout the day. Sure wish Mitsubishi would tell us exactly what they are doing...

JoeS

The update for the clipper creek issue did not fix the issue with the remote for me. I have a Wattstation. So this is still an open issue. Anyone talked to Mitsubishi about this issue directly? I really wish they'd fix it.

RobertC said:
At the dealer now for annual service and recalls. They want $300 for the annual service. I hope Tesla wins its case against dealers.
The appointment took three and half hours. They replaced the air bag sensors, replaced the brake vacuum pump, and completed a CPU reprogram and an ECU update.

I guess I will perform the scheduled maintenance myself since I'm not paying $300.

From the Warranty and Maintenance Manual:
15,000 Miles (24,000 km) or at 12 months
  • Check transmission oil level and condition.
    Inspect disc brake pads and rotors for wear.
    Check brake hoses for deterioration or leaks.
    Inspect drive shaft boots for grease leaks and damage.
    Replace air purifier filter.

I'll document the maintenance and post an update when I've completed it.

First service, second dealership.
The first dealership I went to wanted $300.00. I was going to perform the service myself, but I thought if I took it to a Mitsubishi dealer for service then they might fight me less if I ever need warranty work. Total cost at the second dealer was $66.29.

Looks like my tires have some wear. They quoted me $102.39 plus tax for the cabin air filter. They didn't have one. I'll change the air filter myself.

After service was complete, like the first dealer, they still wanted to do the "battery compensation". On my receipt it said "Battery compensation service is due next." They did not quote me a price, but said because they have to drain the battery, I would have to leave the car overnight. The Warranty and Maintenance Manual Addendum states "As a result of improved software, check main drive lithium-ion battery for capacity has been eliminated from the regular and severe maintenance schedule." Has anyone had the "battery compensation service" done? What is the "battery compensation service"?

Here is the Computerized Vehicle Inspection Report I received:
tAtvTBn.png

cA8gyV0.png

I4UWqBC.png

RTZOiNJ.png

RobertC, thank you for posting the service report details - appreciate the effort you took to publish this. Having always done my own vehicle maintenance, I'm bemused by the fluffy 'report' designed to give the owner a warm fuzzy feeling; nevertheless, it makes a nice checklist for us all (instead of smudging the Owner's Manual).

I love it when our ridiculously-lightly-loaded 12v battery receives a nonsensical (for our application) formal CCA test of questionable accuracy - I somehow doubt it's J537-compliant. I guess the dealer has to amortize the instrument some salesperson sold him. Nevertheless, recognizing the poor track record of our 12v batteries as a result of the cars just sitting there unused on dealers' lots, since the 12v battery warranty is for 24 months (before pro-rating) then it's good to have them perform some type of battery load test - even if the battery itself is cheaper than this 'service'.

The "battery compensation" service, on the other hand, is a little scary. I would want to know EXACTLY what it is this procedure entails and how it is different from us depleting the pack down to two bars and then fully recharging. RobertC, you now have the tool to see if fully charging the traction battery results in proper balancing of the individual cells - how many millivolts variation do you see amongst cells just after she's fully fully charged? The shunt currents are very low and it's possible that an imbalance could accumulate if we rarely top the thing up, but Mitsu's letter allowed as it would be sufficient to do this (ourselves) once every couple of years. Capacity testing has always bothered me because it simply induces another full cycle into what is a limited-cycle-life-item.

I'm fearing a dealer backlash against EVs (witness the massive push for plug-in-hybrids instead) and perhaps we're seeing creative attempts at their level to suck money out of us. Sorry for my negative attitude, but when I see this I am so happy I own and drive mostly EVs:

MitsuSvcPricing.jpg

RobertC said:
They quoted me $102.39 plus tax for the cabin air filter. They didn't have one. I'll change the air filter myself.
I replaced my cabin air filter with the OEM part manufactured by Mitsubishi.
The part number is 7803A012. There are several Mitsubishi parts sellers on the internet that sell the filter for just under $40.00, plus shipping.
The correct installation of the filter is shown on the following picture (note the direction of the arrows).
I checked the air flow with the filter out to verify the direction of air flow.
KDQhgLj.jpg

JoeS said:
I'm fearing a dealer backlash against EVs (witness the massive push for plug-in-hybrids instead) and perhaps we're seeing creative attempts at their level to suck money out of us. Sorry for my negative attitude, but when I see this I am so happy I own and drive mostly EVs:

MitsuSvcPricing.jpg

I haven't seen that sign in well over a year now, Joe. I am so glad to not have to see that again! The dealerships sure know how to claw money out of their customers. What I don't get, is that with all of these EVs now available, people are still willing to fork over their hard earned cash to them.

I think you're probably correct in your thinking - Hence, the worlds first car maker who makes only EV's is taking steps to eliminate dealer networks all together. GO TESLA!!!

To keep a network of dealerships afloat, they either have to make a considerable amount of *extra* money when they sell you the car (we sure don't need that) or a considerable amount when they finance the car (there's not as much to be made there as there used to be) *or* they need to charge $125 per hour for everything done in the service bay . . . . with a one hour minimum. This is why it can cost someone $125 to have the battery in their key replaced

My 85 year old mom had a faulty 'Oil Change' light on the dash of her turbo Buick (hey, every 85 year old woman needs a premium gas sucking turbocharged car, don't they? - How that came to be is another discussion entirely) . . . . anyway, the oil change light would come back on just a couple hundred miles after she had the oil changed and that bothered her - All 4 of her kids told her to just ignore it and change her oil every 5,000 miles but she had to get it fixed. All's well now after 3 trips to the dealership. The first trip, they reset the light (again) and rotated the tires - $200.00 The next trip they had the car in the service bay for 5 or 6 hours and that trip was $1,100.00 and they ordered a part. The last trip was only $250.00 - $125.00 to pay for the part they installed and $125.00 to install it. Took less than an hour

If you're wondering who the heck needs an 'Oil Change' light on the dash of a car - Obviously, the dealership needs it! :lol:

At 85, she never drives more than 50 miles - Good candidate for an EV . . . .but it would need to be at least as big as a Buick - We couldn't talk her into a Lexus ES 300 when she was shopping for the Buick. Actually, she took her previous Buick in several times to get a faulty transmission fixed (with little success) and it eventually frustrated her so much she came home with . . . . a new turbocharged Buick!

Don

Funny enough- As reading this thread, I got a call from my Mitsu dealer since I hadn't come in for a 6 month service. The call girl had no idea what service I was due for when I pressed the question, so I politely informed her that the factory has never specified a 6 month service on this car, and has eliminated the 12 month service recommendation as well.
Got this call on my first i as well, and had to get snippy with them after the third call for a 12 month service!

God might strike me dead for saying this, but I don't see why anyone would EVER, EVER bring a car to a dealer other than for fully covered warranty or recall service.

I have bought well over a dozen new cars in my lifetime, and have never brought them in for regular "service", and they all lasted about 12-15 years, which is about the time that they rust so badly (in my climate), that the parts cost more than the value of the vehicle. Of course I would get oil changes, tune-ups, brakes at my local mechanic, but never would I get an air filter changed at a dealer.

This being said, however, I must commend my dealer Bell Mitsubishi of NJ for being the most accommodating dealership I have ever purchased from. The staff is courteous, knowledgeable, and has never even tried to sell me a $125 air filter although they had the opportunity.

jray3 said:
...had to get snippy with them after the third call for a 12 month service!
I keep getting notifications (with a typo!) every 3 months from my dealership to come in for scheduled service. The first time I got the notice, I told the service manager that this car's scheduled maintenance is far different than what he said, and also pointed out the typo.

He thanked me for the typo (though I've noticed it's still there on subsequent notices) and sent me the Excel spreadsheet with HIS idea of the correct maintenance schedule. I uploaded it to this board. It's a terrible fleecing of EV owners and an embarrassment.

http://www.myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1514

My dealership doesn't know (or care) that I exist

I had to ping them several times to get the two software updates and the brake vacuum pump recall done - After no reply from them on the brake upgrade, I contacted MMNA and then the dealer called me the very next day to set up an appointment for 3 or 4 weeks later. Seems they knew nothing about the updates or the recall and they had to order everything

My last trip there was for the brake recall and the software upgrade and it happened at exactly 12 months of ownership . . . . and they never mentioned any 'service' of any kind - They've never mailed me anything over my 16 months of ownership either

Don

I know this is old and I am sorry to bump old, but it pertains to it.

I had my 1st "service" of my new Used 2012 'i'

Said I could have a FREE 27 point check. Well I know they didn't really do much.
They didn't check the air filter, and I KNOW they didn't check the Coolant fluid as they didn't even OPEN the back compartment.
I received NO print out either. And never got the quote for the replacement key and remote. Yes I left and forgot myself but had asked for it when I first went in.

I just want to say that I am SO GRATEFUL for this site as I think I will be doing all my repairs/checks my self.

Heck, if I can change my own Fuel Filters in my 2006 F-350 Diesel truck, I think I can do the few simple things this car needs.

Also wanted to say that I don't go to the "dealer" ever unless it is something that my local Sullivan Tire guys can't do. Good thing for me is they now have a Diesel guy... too bad I won't be there much any more since I have the 'i'.

Who else wants to add their 1st service

Back