finding a code reader for Japanese car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohart

I have a first-generation Honda Insight. OBD2 code readers plugged into the diagnostic port will read standard OBD2 codes but won't read the many codes associated with the hybrid electric system of the car. Mitsubishi must have a diagnostic tool that will read i codes just as Honda has a special (very expensive) diagnostic tool that will read codes associated with the hybrid electric system. Do you know whether any diagnostic code reader will read the many special codes associated with the electric propulsion portion of the i? Many of the OBD2 codes are associated with internal combustion engines which don't apply to the i. I've read several reports of OBD2 readers that have cause problems or reported nothing when plugged into the i's diagnostic port.

It seems to me that with the very low number of i's on the road, no third-party vendor will be rushing to produce a diagnostic code reader that will read the special i codes. I suspect that someone clever will need to reverse-engineer the signals at the i diagnostic port to produce a custom code reader as has been done with the Honda Insight.

This might be fun to play with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Car-VCI-MiEV-SWS-DTCs-ECU-Reprogramming-Dealer-Diagnostic-Laptop-/271055458114?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f1c2a0f42

Don

Don said:
This might be fun to play with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Car-VCI-MiEV-SWS-DTCs-ECU-Reprogramming-Dealer-Diagnostic-Laptop-/271055458114?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f1c2a0f42

Don

is this called VCI? particularly for imive??
I know one that is called Xtool X-VCI

Some are using the OBDLink SX, or similar, from ScanTool.

One can log using RealTerm, or use the latest CAN-Do
program, as soon as it is tested OK with the OBDLink data.

I believe that my GID-Meter, with the logging port option,
will work as a logger, and I plan to make that meter, with
custom firmware for the iMiEV, available soon after
we identify and verify some helpful SOC-like values
in the iMiev CAN bus data.

Reading the Event Codes is a more difficult task,
usually requiring writing Request Messages to
the CAN bus, and knowing how to interpret the
responses.

For smog-producing vehicles, much of this process
is now part of the OBD2 standards, I believe.
Apparently there are USA, Japanese, and European
versions of these standards.

I have been hoping that the diagnostics used in the EVs
might be the same, or at least similar, rather than a
re-invention of the diagnostics.

Some of the diagnostics tools seem to be capable of
reading many of the older OBD ports, and essentially
all of the most modern standards, that seem to be
CAN bus based, usually at 500000 baud.

Back