EV Courtesy Cards & Ideas

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

JoeS said:
You might consider making a few courtesy-notice cards to place on windshields as part of ICE and EV-newbie education.

Thanks Joe - I thought this worthy of a new thread

I Really like this idea and have a parallel though to another courtesy card as well.

Maybe some one that has designed one or has an idea for one, could share their courtesy card/ idea

So if other members should be interested they could print some off at home.

My Idea for another courtesy card

A card that would presented when making a purchase to a shop/store owner - whether in a mall or any location that has EV Charging Facilities
Stating something Like

Just a note

To the Owner/Manager of this Establishment

Thank you for having Electric Vehicle charging facilities available
making it possible for me to shop here

This sale could be credited to your foresight in accommodating
The future of Electric Vehicle transportation

Input?
Any suggestions , ideas, or your version of this card , appreciated

sandange, that's a great idea! Wherever I stop to charge and have a meal or buy something, I try to find the owner and let them know that the reason they have my business is because of the charging station.

At first I was going to post images of my signs, but then I realized how many I had made up over the past year, so I'll just post the text. I simply used a drawing program on my computer and print out on cardboard stock.

My signs break down into a number of categories -

ICEd admonitions, on small 3"x6" fluorescent-red card stock:

"You are in an Electric Vehicle Charging Station parking space. How would you react if your gas tank was almost empty and someone was blocking your access to the only open gas station in the area? Please respect the Law. Thank You."

"You are in an Electric Vehicle Charging Station parking space. Luckily for you, I have enough charge in my EV to get home; otherwise I would have called the cops and had you towed out of this space. Please respect the law. Thank you."

The problem with getting ICEd is trying to separate the ignorant from the arrogant. Most of our charging stations are very well marked, with no excuse for what they're doing.

Requests to other EV owners, on 3"x6" beige card stock:

"Hi, I'm the Mitsubishi i-Miev next to you. When you're done charging, would you be kind enough to plug me in? The outlet is on the right rear side and I left it open. Thanks, Joe Cell: XXX"

For the EV or PHEV that's fully charged and just sitting there plugged in:

"Next time, would you be kind enough to come and unplug and move your car right after it has finished charging so that someone else could use the Charging Station? Thank you. A fellow EV driver."

"Waiting for a charger to become available. When it's free, could you please call me. Thanks. Joe Cell: xxx"

On a larger 6" x 8" card:

"It's OK to unplug me after: ______ Please leave this sign on my windshield so I don't get a ticket. Thanks, Joe Cell: xxx"

We EV drivers used to happily park in adjacent parking spaces and plug/unplug each others' cars; however, a couple of years ago a law was passed (at GM's instigation) which mandated that a car in a charging station had to be plugged in. If you try to unplug a Volt, it's damn alarm sounds.

Large signs, on full A-size cardboard:

"Waiting to be plugged in. Please call Joe cell: xxx"

If I'm parked illegally in order to charge I leave the sign: "Owner Cell: xxx" or "I need to charge to get home. I'll be happy to move if I'm blocking. Joe Cell: xxx"

Then there are the information signs:

"Range -
100mi @ 40mph
60mi @ 60mph
40mi @ 80mph"

Here's a link to my usual information sign that I leave under the windshield:
http://www.katiekat.net/Vehicles/Mitsi/SignMitsiInfo.pdf

Finally, if I'm taking a very long trip and know I'll be hypermiling and driving slowly, I put this sign on the back of the car: "Range Test In Progress"

I *hope* we will eventually have this problem - So far, there's still not a single public charger (other than our Nissan dealerships) anywhere within 75 miles of where we live. One day . . . .

Our local Mitsu dealership got 3 Level 2 chargers nearly a year ago when he got the first iMiEV's, but so far, even they haven't installed one of them - They're still in the boxes they came in

On the positive side, I noticed last week that the local Best Buy now has 2 reserved parking spaces designated for 'EV's and hybrids' smack in front of the store . . . . but no EVSE's to charge them. It makes for a shorter walk for those who drive Priuses ;)

Don

Wow Joe
You really have a selection of cards for all kinds of different situations.
We don't have that level of traffic at the charge stations yet,
Thanks for sharing your ideas

JoeS said:
The problem with getting ICEd is trying to separate the ignorant from the arrogant. Most of our charging stations are very well marked, with no excuse for what they're doing.

Yeah Joe you're right. There were two chargers at Walmart and one was knocked down and hasn't been replaced. It was the one closest to the store. There are always gigantor suv's backed into that site with their rear wheels up against the curb and their bumper over the hole where the charger was ... one day by wife said something to a guy sitting in his suv waiting for his wife to come back and he replied "There ain't no charger there now so I don't care what the sign says" ... I tell my wife to leave it alone so someone dosen't key or do something worse to the i-Miev.

Having recently experienced finding the only 2 available charge stations occupied.
I was motivated to create another courtesy card a little larger than a business card

Just need to write in your contact number.

Anyone interested in a copy of this (formatted 8 up on 8 1/2 x 11)
send me a message.

Available in English - French - or both printed back to back.

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Sandange/slideshow/miev/EV courtesy cards

Here's one I've been using most often for the past few years:

BlockedEVSE.pdf

Back