Charging Down Route 66

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 14 went extremely well. Left Quality Inn in Claremore with a 50% charge, (L1)drove to a nearby Nissan dealer and charged to full(L2). Went to Tallys in Tulsa for lunch. Spent most of aftetnoon visiting route66 sites in Tulsa. Then, drove to Bristow OK and charged NEMA-1450 for 2 hours..beautiful country out here. Drove to Stroud Oklahoma, had dinner at the Rock Cafe. Awesome. Stayed overnight at the iconic Skyliner Motel.
Very comfortable but basic. Owner helped us find an outlet to charge on.
Most had open grounds(old wiring) but the one near the office was fine. (Charged L1 3 hours before bed.)
Tomorrow is Oklahoma City. Went 86 miles on Day 14. Woohoo!

R&S, I've gotta give you cred. Any day that starts at 50% SOC would start me on the wrong foot, 'specially on a cross-country road trip after a day of storm delay, but your outlook is as reliable as the sunrise!
:mrgreen:
Day 14 went extremely well. Left Quality Inn in Claremore with a 50% charge

The longer we've had these cars, the more comfortable we are with 'range' - We leave home with less than a full charge more than 90% of the time and as the years have gone by we're more comfortable leaving with less and less, sometimes with only 3 or 4 bars. We know where we're going and we know how much it takes to get there

Sounds like Rick knew where he was planning to charge and knew 50% was plenty or he probably would have left it plugged into L1 a little longer the night before

Don

Actually yes.
There were 4 Level 2 chargers within 30 miles and one 12 miles away. We went to that one.
I do understand the concern.
One note: From downtown Tulsa all the way through Sapulpa is pretty much long downhills. At one point we gained 20 RR. It was great!.
As we speak now we are charging at the Glen Oaks RV park in Chandler OK.
The good thing is we will have enuf RR to get to OKC. The bad thing is they charged us $29. As we were just under half full this works out to about $18 a gallon equivalent.
Ouch.
But we also are doing laundry here.

Day 15 went well. Not inexpensive but well. Leaving the Skyliner where we had charged overnite to 3/4. Drove to a wonderful breakfast at the Rock Cafe. Then, drove to the Oak Glen RV resort to top up. For the equivalent of 2 gallons of gas, charged us $29. Ouch.
Anyways then drove to lunch at the Hungry Horny Toad bar and grille.
Unfriendliest folks we met on the Route. Wouldnt recommend to anyone. Then, drove to Arcadia OK to visit the Round Barn and Pops. At Pops had a Huge ice cream sundae. Awesome. Then, drove to the new OnCue gas station north of Edmond.
Quick charged to 80% for $7.00. Greenlots. Drove to nearby Sleep Inn for the night. Drove 65 miles today.

Although we've settled on primarily going to PlugShare, when I was in Oregon this U.S. Department of Energy charging station finder listed at least one EVSE station that isn't shown on PlugShare:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html
Simply something to add to your arsenal.
Can't help but wonder if this is one of the DOE functions that will be cut... :twisted:

Also, don't forget on PlugShare to check the private home charging spots available - in that category, some also list private overnight home rentals.

Rick, I looked at your PlugShare post on Oak Glen RV Park https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/113342 and see that you said "Nice Park, Laundry Available". I'd be tempted to modify that entry by adding that you paid $29 for ~10kWh :roll:

It is up to us to educate the RV Park owners and in a nice way let them know when they are gouging us - I hope they didn't do that because they had you over a barrel. :evil: Need to let them know that charging an EV is not the same as taking up one of their camping spaces for the night, and that the amount of energy drawn varies widely with make of car.

Can't help but wonder if there is an RV-campground-owners' Association that has addressed this on a national level?

Trip data spreadsheet updated.

Rick,

You're getting close to what is probably the best Route 66 museum on the entire route - Located in Clinton OK and not to be missed, at least IMO

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51272-d268945-r114614325-Oklahoma_Route_66_Museum-Clinton_Oklahoma.html

We spent 3 or 4 hours there and it should have been more - It's hard to see it all in that time. I wouldn't be surprised but what they would allow you to plug into an outlet there while you tour the museum, so a visit there just may be a win-win

Don

We are in Clinton tonight. Will check it out in the morning.
Thanks....

To JoeS...i will update the Glen Oaks listing. Highly variable prices at RV parks. We paid $5 today at KOA in El Reno yet last week we paid $15 at KOA Springfield MO.

Day 16 was a bit odd but overall OK.
Breakfast was good at the Sleep Inn in OKC. Did some further L1 charging for free at Sleep Inn during Breakfast. There was a storm threatening so we got an early start. Drove thru OKC taking various photos and decided to check out the new L3 quickcharger at the OnCue station in Yukon OK. It is so new our GPS wasnt exact, but Yukon is a surprisingly pretty place. The QC is an Efacac(?) charger like our favorite back in Palatine IL and worked great!.
After leaving Yukon we encountered hundreds of horses, horse drawn buggies and carriages accompanied by a State Trooper. Weird but way cool.
Some kind of 'ride across Oklahoma' event. Continuing on the Route, we drove to the El Reno west KOA and charged several hours NEMA 14--50 at their campground.($5). Went to the cherokee trading post on the interstate and had a great meal of Indian Tacos and awesome homemade mash potatoes...Afterwards drove to Clinton OK Econolodge where we were checked in by the most sarcastic, condescending, asinine guy we have encountered yet. Charged free L1 until 9PM. Today we traveled 103 miles.
Good (but strange) day!

Day 17 began with L1 charging at Econolodge in Clinton OK. Great breakfast, thankfully different desk clerk. Did some photography around town. Went to the Museum everyone recommended and it was closed until 1..this was Sunday, their late day. Drove on to Elk City KOA and charged L2 for 4 hours. $5 AN HOUR. Drove to Elk City OK and visited the Elk City National Route 66 museum. Then drove to Sayre OK. Charged NEMA 14-50 for 1 hour. No charge because it was only one hour. Then we drove to Erick Ok. Staying overnight at Motel 6.
Charging free L1.
A truly good day! We drove 74 miles today! Tomorrow Texas!

Not much to see in the Texas panhandle on 66 - The put I-40 right on top of 66, so there's almost nothing left of it to see. You just gotta cross it to get to Tucumcari, which will more than make up for it :lol: After all there was to see and do in Oklahoma, crossing Texas was a real letdown

I think the highlight of Texas for us was lunch at the famous Beef Burger Barrel in Amarillo - Worth a stop if you like great hamburgers!!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30165-d4653997-Reviews-Beef_Burger_Barrel-Amarillo_Texas.html

Don

We spent a lot of time photographing old abandoned places in Texola.
We just an hour at the U Drop Inn in Shamrock TX, where they insisted on running an extension out their front door so we could L1 charge. They have 6 Tesla chargers out back. Headed for the South Side RV park to charge after lunch here at Mitchells family restaurant here in Shamrock.
Nice sunny morning finally.

Day 18 was awesome. Left motel 6 with 50 miles RR from L1 charging.
Drove to Erick downtown...explored.
Then, drove to Texola and did some photography in this almost-ghost town. Wanted to see if the Cafe was open but it wasnt. We were greeted by 5 of the friendliest dogs though.
We continued on across the Texas border to Shamrock TX. Had a great one hour visit with Hazel and Larry at the U Drop Inn. Hazel insisted on looping an extension cord out their front door so we could charge while we visited. Very kind of her. Afterwards, we went for lunch at Mitchells Family Restaurant. Great food. Then we stopped at the South Side RV park for a 3 hour topup charge. $15. We drove to McLean TX just 20 minutes after the Devils Rope museum closed.Oy. So, we drove to Alanreed TX. Overnighting at the Alanreed motel and RV park where we got a room for $48 and for $5 extra we are topping up charge at their RV park. 50 Amp NEMA 14-50. $53 total, roon and charge. Great! Today was a bright and sunny day. We traveled 64 miles today.
Amarillo tomorrow!

Rick, I sent you a PM on Sunday. Just an FYI since it hasn't been picked up yet. Thanks for your daily entries! Great traveling with you :)

Aerowhatt

Day 19.
Morning began as we left Alanreed at about 8AM. Left with a good 72 RR.We took 66w to Groom and arrived with 57 RR. Groom is more than 20 miles from Alanreed, so that attests to the regen capabilities of our imiev. Threatening skies, strong tailwind. At Groom Texas we had a great breakfast at "The Grill."
Nice people. We were there over an hour and when we discussed our electric journey, the owner said "you should have asked us to charge." Seems they have had an electric motorcycle and several other electric cars come through." Go figure. The rain started getting worse. We started out of town and noticed a nearly empty RV park. It had no office but it DID have a phone number. Topped up 15 extra RR at 50a NEMA 14-50. No cost since there less than 1 hour. Took some photos in the rain of the Groom Cross and its leaning water tower. Drove on 66w to Conway where we saw the Slug Bug VW ranch, also in the pouring rain.Neat but cold and wet.
So...drove slowly on in the rain and cold to Amarillo, where we stopped at a Sleep Inn for the night. Charged for free L1 to 36 RR (arrived with 7 RR).
Ate a GREAT meal at Cracker Barrel, right across the parking lot. Great but wet and dreary. We went 72 miles today.

rkarl89203 said:
... so that attests to the regen capabilities of our imiev. Threatening skies, strong tailwind...
Attests to your featherfootin' abilities and the tailwind, and really nothing to do with regeneration. See you're holding steady at a day behind schedule. Trip data spreadsheet updated, and I added the 14 miles from Santa Monica to LAAFB at the end (I can change that prediction if you wish). Hope you get better weather tomorrow.

Charging at Reagor-Dykes Mitsubishi in Amarillo. Will charge to FULL because wind is definitely a factor. May have to use ultra creep mode lol which definitely saves miles but slows trip down bigtime. Aeroenvironment L2
Chargers.should be here less than 2 hours. Tucumcari looking less and less likely tonite. On the upside bright and sunny!

Back