Australian Spec i-MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
offgridQLD said:
From the info I can find online the US spec I-miev is 81kg - 178lb heavier than the Australian - UK spec I-miev
US - 1169kg
AU - 1088kg
About 8% more weight to lug uphill. About the same weight as carrying a full grow man as a passenger. I would say being wider to the US model would have more wind drag to. Kurt
Kurt, thank you for those numbers.

So, the disadvantages of our less-efficient US-model iMiEV are that it is longer and wider (and thus less-easy to park), heavier, has more wind resistance, has oversized headrests which significantly block the view, and you can't rest your arm on the open-window doorsill because of the wasted space to the side of the front driver and passenger.

The advantages of the US-model iMiEV is that it has more storage in back :D , is ostensibly more crash-resistant (front and side crumple zones and airbags), is probably more stable, and subjectively some say it is *better-proportioned*.

Does the Australian model have D-Eco-B driving modes?

Kurt: have you driven your new iMiEV the 60 miles up to your mountain home yet?

Even if US version is less efficient I'd love to buy one and import to Europe because I like how it looks.
I doubt if anybody has US version here in Europe :)
So if anybody wanna sell their iMiEV - pls contact me, I will arrange all shipping and exporting overseas.
I prefer dark colours - like black or burgundy... :) can be even little damaged- no problem :)

JoeS

Does the Australian model have D-Eco-B driving modes?

Yes it does, shown as D-B and C on the shifter and in that order. Would prefer it as C-D and B to allow easier manual switching between modes to suit road/situation, but that's just a personal preference.

Yes Au model has B, D , C modes. It has 6 airbags to. My view is the drivers headrests are over sized (look to big for the seat) but the rear seat headrest are what I would consider normal sized.

Are you sure the US version is longer internally. I thought it was just longer because it had big bumper front and back.

It wasn't a dig at the US version just worth pointing out as it might actually have a slight impact when comparing range. The modifications made to the track width of the US model might make measuring up and fitting different sized wheels a completely different story regarding clearances to the AU,UK and Jap versions. All things to consider.

I like the wider footprint but the big bumper bars and extra weight don't do it for me as much.

I feel the European versions always get the smartest interiors they just demand a better spec interior over there. Australia tends to get the taxi pack interior :lol: (its been that way with most cars)

I havn't driven the 104km trip to the hinterland in the I-miev yet. We drove up on Friday night in normal gas car and i took a different road. Cuts out he 40km stretch of 100km motorway all together. I cant avoid the 500m climb but i can stick to the 50,60 and some 80kmh zones on the side roads all the way now. that should improve my chances. I will try it next weekend.

I went for a drive yesterday to find our local public chargers. I have my little swipe cards now. One charger is in a very handy location walking distance to shops and the sea side and all were free at the time.

kurt

offgridQLD and WyVern said:
Au model has B, D , C modes.
So, what are the differences in driving power and regeneration for each of the three settings? Is one of them (hopefully) zero regen?
offgridQLD said:
Are you sure the US version is longer internally. I thought it was just longer because it had big bumper front and back.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the interior was enlarged except for the width of the storage area when the back seats are folded down. The overall length is simply bumper crumple zone elongation, with the interior unchanged (except for width). We lose a valuable ten inches in length for no improvement in passenger legroom.

Yes the US versions would have a wider trunk space. How about the rear seat. Is the actual seat its self wider than the AU version or just dead space each side of a standard jap spec rear seat? Shame they didn't put 3 seat belts in if its wider, just for the odd time you need to carry more people short trip.

So, what are the differences in driving power and regeneration for each of the three settings? Is one of them (hopefully) zero regen?

I feel B mode (brake mode) gives a very strong regen. Only good for holding speed down large hills (mountains)

C mode just plays with the gain on the accelerator peddle input. It just softens how much peddle = how much % throttle. Makes it easier to keep the needle in the green. Its a bit like they have stretchered 70 % of the throttle over 95% of the peddle travel. Then is the last 5% of peddle travel they give you 100% throttle all at once. (emergency use i guess). If you want to be lazy C is easy to drive economically in .

D mode is like what you would expect from a typical car. Even spread of power of the full peddle range 0% - 100% . Regen is ok not as strong as B mode.

In regard to regen. What I think is great in the I-miev is the first 10% or so of the brake peddle travel brings on more regen. If your carfull with it I feel the mechanical brakes don't even come into play at all.When I need to come to a stop I tend to let off the accelerator peddle and get a feel for how the regen is slowing me then modulate the brake peddle in that first 10% - (watching the charge gauge) To use as much regen as I can but not tip it over to the point where I am using friction brakes.

offgridQLD said:
Yes the US versions would have a wider trunk space. How about the rear seat. Is the actual seat its self wider than the AU version or just dead space each side of a standard jap spec rear seat? Shame they didn't put 3 seat belts in if its wider, just for the odd time you need to carry more people short trip.
There is definitely enough room in back to carry a third person (have illegally done this for short trips), but Mitsu put a a hard plastic plate on the seat in the middle to make it uncomfortable (we just used a pillow). Pity, as I tell people who are interested in the iMiEV that if they need to seat five then they should look at a Leaf instead.

Our shifting sequence D-Eco-B is convenient for regeneration as one is able to easily modulate deceleration or downhill speed by "going through the gears" before ever touching the brake. I personally would like a fingertip variable regeneration control by the steering wheel (I have such a joystick setup on my Gen1 Honda Insight).

Back