Anyone know this 2012 iMiev at Copart??

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtech

Does anyone know this car? Maybe the owner(s) are or were members of this forum? What do you all think is a fair price on it?

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResults.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e2s2&lotId=16681113&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

ACV: $32,000 USD

Repair Cost: $0 USD
Title State/Type: MA CERT OF TITLE-SALVAGE
Odometer: 1,476 ACTUAL
Primary Damage: FRONT END
Secondary Damage:
VIN: JA3215H14CU025236
Body Style: HATCHBACK 4DR
Color: BLACK
Engine: .0L
Drive: Rear-wheel Drive
Cylinders:
Fuel: ELECTRIC
Keys: YES
Special Note: VEHICLE IS A ELECTIC CAR!

16681113_1X.JPG

16681113_AX.JPG

16681113_2X.JPG

it doesn't look like it would be all that difficult to fix to me - I think if someone could get it for less than $10K, they could make out very well. Actually, I would think just the battery and drive system (in good shape) would be worth $5K to $7500 to someone wanting to build an EV from scratch, but this car looks far too nice to me to be parted out

Don

The car probably has airbag deployment, which ain't cheap to replace. The large, plastic front bumper could be a bit expensive. Too bad the car isn't raspberry, or you could buy some of the parts from the flooded i-MiEV. Then again, some of the i-MiEVs have mixed paint jobs from the factory... :D Repainting the raspberry bumper could be cheaper than finding a replacement black one.

What else. Damaged headlight assembly and turn signal. Hood, latch, possibly radiator. Heck, if it drives, $7500 would be a steal. Even $10,000 could be a good price. Even better if you can do the repairs yourself. :geek:

Darn, too late. My friend is converting a Honda CRX to electric, and this would have made that real easy, and cheap. I don't like the thought of parting an i, but with the driver airbag deployed, getting this one back on the road wouldn't be cheap.

I am actually looking for a fixer like this with about this level of damage. The main issue for me is that it's too far away in NY. I'm in CA! I saw it up for auction, so I decided to join the forum and inquire about it anyway. This one to me is not too bad and would be a relatively easy fix. Definitely well worth putting back on the road IMO. It would be a real shame to part it out. Probably the biggest obstacle here would be to find the parts.

If anyone has any leads on a damaged/fixer upper car..........Please let me know. I would definitely be interested! Finder's fee happily paid too!

In the meantime, I'll be browsing this site and learning more about these cool cars! :)

BTW, I wonder if this car actually sold for $7600?? I know the auction had a minimum bid/reserve amount.

Welcome to the forum. When I first checked this car, the bid was $5,200, the starting bid. I refreshed the page and it was gone, maybe three hours later. There should be no reason Mitsubishi can't move these. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The biggest hurdle I see was that driver's side airbag.

I'll keep an eye out. There were a few Tesla Roadsters on eBay, one only $32,500 (more expensive than a new i, but a steal compared to the Roadster's $100,000+ price tag, new).

**EDIT** I just checked eBay, there are a few new i-MiEV's for less than $22,000. Take your pick.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m282&Fuel%2520Type=Electric

I know. There's not a whole lot on the front that needs fixed. You couldn't even call it a fender bender, the damage stopped at the bumper and headlights.

bxtech said:
BTW, I wonder if this car actually sold for $7600?? I know the auction had a minimum bid/reserve amount.

That's at least the fourth iMiEV to sell on CoPart, and the highest price yet, IIRC. The first car had less serious damage, and then there were the two Sandy floodies... Ben Nelson got one, the other has yet to resurface.... ;)

The insurers sometimes come back asking for more, but since the listing has been deleted, I suspect that this price was accepted. Problem is, all four have been on the east coast, raising my delivered price by nearly $2k. What's up with that? I though that Californians were terrible drivers too! :shock:

When you buy a car on Copart, you have to pay auction fees and transport, probably in the range of $1,200 to $2,200.

You'll probably have to pay full price for new parts since used parts aren't available for a 2012 i-MiEV.

Also, without being able to test and inspect the car yourself, you're taking a real chance. The electric motor could be damaged if the car was improperly towed from the accident scene, and you really need to do a thorough inspection (like repair shops do) to know how much it will cost to repair the i-MiEV.

Would Mitsubishi still honor the warranty on a vehicle that has been in an accident and has a salvage title? What if the impact damaged the battery and shifted some of the cells or damaged the charging circuit boards on top of the cells?

The NADA average trade-in value for a 2012 i-MiEV with 10,000 miles is $14,800.00. You could easily spend more than that repairing an i-MiEV that's been in an accident.

If the damage was only minor, I wonder why the insurance company did not pay for the repairs instead of totaling the car and selling it at a salvage auction?

I'm familiar with the other auction fees and transport costs. I used to have a friend that had a business and bought cars through Copart. I actually bought a couple of cars for myself through him and fixed them up. I still have the cars today! Since I've recently gotten the "itch" for an iMiev, I've started searching the auctions again. Transport costs??......Yep, a big negative for me since this car is all the way in NY, and I'm in CA! :(

As for the car condition itself, bidding on a salvage car leaves A LOT of unanswered questions. Basically you have to buy sight unseen and only on these pictures. Unless the car is local to you, in which Copart lets you inspect the car in person. (At least they did in the past.) Warranty would definitely now be invalid, except for factory recall items.

BTW, my friend who used to be able to bid at these insurance auctions has retired. I'm currently looking for anyone who might be able to help me buy here. Anyone??

This iMiev in the opening post obviously didn't sell the first time around. It's up for auction again and currently at $6600. Still has the minimum bid/reserve amount on it:

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResults.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e2s2&lotId=16681113&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

The sellers on Copart only have to pay $85.00 if the vehicle does not sell. The $85.00 covers four auctions. I've seen the same vehicles come up for auction on Copart many times. Sellers know that they can set a high reserve amount to get the most for their vehicles. I suspect that this i-MiEV has a high reserve amount.

If a vehicle does sell on Copart the seller pays 2% of the sales price with a minimum of $50.00 and a maximum of $150.00. Copart makes most of their money on buyer fees.

I wonder what is reserve price of that miev, but could be $15000 which is unacceptable...
especially there is now another topic with brand new cars from 2012 with $10000 rebate from Mitsubishi....

I think it is (damaged) not worth more than $8000, there is one new picture showing frame damage, there is drivers airbag deployed which needs new airbag + control module, needs headlamp, hood, front bumper and some other parts which are not visible on pictures.... and of course repairing & painting...

evcar said:
I think it is (damaged) not worth more than $8000 . . . .
Well, we all know that the battery alone is worth more than that. If I were considering building myself an EV from scratch, the battery, drivetrain and all the electronics would be worth more to me than $8K - I think it would be a relative bargain at $10K . . . . and that's not counting the rest of the car at all. If the body parts could be sold to someone who needed them to repair other cars, you could maybe get $2500 of your $10K back and have an excellent drivetrain for your project for cheap . . . . relatively speaking

I'm pretty sure someone will pay more than $8K for it . . . . likely to repair it and have a nice low miles car

Don

This i-MiEV will be rebid for the fourth time on 4/17/13. Previous winning bids were $6,200.00, $6,700.00, and $8,100.00. Apparently all these bids did not meet the reserve and the winning bidder and the owner of the vehicle could not agree on a sale price. I've seen several similarly damaged Nissan Leaf's sell in the $6K to $8K range.
Might be worthwhile, might be broken junk, you can't really tell without thoroughly testing the vehicle. Any gamblers out there? I takes a lot of time and effort to get your money back selling off parts. If the battery is still good, and the vehicle's electric motor and gears were not damaged by improper towing, you could definitely use the parts for an EV project. You also have to be careful because Copart moves their accident vehicles with a big fork lift.

Back