another battery failure

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melloyello, thanks for the details. Sitting at half-charge is actually the preferred state for lithiums. I wouldn't be surprised if the poor car sat on a dealer's lot fully charged for months. :cry: You're now good for years to come.

Don said:
Actually, I didn't say anything of the kind. First, any vehicle will eventually need replacement parts or it will have to be scrapped. Building/buying a new car to replace an old one which just needs a few parts to keep it running for another 10 years has got to be harder on the environment than replacing parts on the old one . . . . doesn't it? Second, if the old battery pack is recycled so that it is used for some other purpose, then it's not really harming the environment either, is it? I really doubt that battery packs which are removed from EV's at some point in their lifespan are going to wind up in landfills - Amateur EV builders would love to get their hands on them I know for a fact, so if my old battery pack goes on to power some other car for another 50,000 miles, that's a good thing, IMO

Don

Are you aware, how much energy it takes to recycle iMiev's battery pack?
Your suggestion, that better to recycle those packs sooner, even before the warranty ends, is definitely additional stress to the environment.
If the process of production of the new battery pack was not so consuming of energy and other resources, prices for those battery packs were much lower. The conventional car consumes oil, but electric car consumes electric power and lithium batteries and therefore enormous amount of coal and oil, that is used for production of electricity and lithium batteries. The sooner the battery pack will be replaced, the greate the ecological footprint.

Kuuuurija said:
Don said:
Actually, I didn't say anything of the kind. First, any vehicle will eventually need replacement parts or it will have to be scrapped. Building/buying a new car to replace an old one which just needs a few parts to keep it running for another 10 years has got to be harder on the environment than replacing parts on the old one . . . . doesn't it? Second, if the old battery pack is recycled so that it is used for some other purpose, then it's not really harming the environment either, is it? I really doubt that battery packs which are removed from EV's at some point in their lifespan are going to wind up in landfills - Amateur EV builders would love to get their hands on them I know for a fact, so if my old battery pack goes on to power some other car for another 50,000 miles, that's a good thing, IMO

Don

Your suggestion, that better to recycle those packs sooner, even before the warranty ends, is definitely additional stress to the environment.
If the process of production of the new battery pack was not so consuming of energy and other resources, prices for those battery packs were much lower. The conventional car consumes oil, but electric car consumes electric power and lithium batteries and therefore enormous amount of coal and oil, that is used for production of electricity and lithium batteries. The sooner the battery pack will be replaced, the greate the ecological footprint.

Can someone delete this posting it is SO FAR OFF TOPIC and nothing more then a train wreck in the making

Kuuuurija said:
My 'suggestion' as you call it was simply to let Mitsubishi replace it when it fails, hopefully before the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty expires, nothing more, nothing less. What Mitsu does with the battery after they replace it is up to them

Don

Considering from everything I've gathered that our old packs go to grid-interactive energy systems, the batteries continue to serve a useful purpose beyond their usefulness in EVs. Of course, most of our pack "failures" have been only a single cell that fails to hold a charge. It seems pretty obvious that Mitsubishi mixes and matches cells to make complete packs for use in their energy systems, and possibly refurbished i-MiEV packs for future warranty claims.

I agree with Tigger in that we are drifting off topic, as the fate of warranty claimed packs falls outside the scope of this thread, which is the consumer account regarding obtaining a replacement battery. If we wish to continue this conversation, might I suggest extracting these posts and put them in a separate thread?

tigger19687 said:
Can someone delete this posting it is SO FAR OFF TOPIC and nothing more then a train wreck in the making
Better yet, can someone delete the anti-EV troll, Kuuuurija? Seriously, why is he still here?

I wonder if there is a way to find out HOW MANY packs Mitsu has replaced in the USA, Europe and Canada ?
I know the later 2 have much smaller warranty.
Anyone know why that is ?

I just got the warranty extension letter in Canada - it is now 10 years or 160,000km, so basically on par with the US warranty.
The rest of the world gets different warranties depending on the market - they just need to be competitive with whatever other manufacturers offer. I know in Poland the battery warranty is 5 years, and bumper to bumper is 3 years/100,000km. The rest of the EU is probably similar.

tigger19687 said:
I wonder if there is a way to find out HOW MANY packs Mitsu has replaced in the USA, Europe and Canada ?
I know the later 2 have much smaller warranty.
Anyone know why that is ?

I know, that of 507 iMievs bought by the Estonian Government, 7 had serious problems with battery already in the first year in service and got warranty replacement of whole battery pack. That makes roughly each 72th car has replaced battery less than year after production.

Additionally, several iMievs got battery pack replaced soon after their first year in service. Unfortunately, detailed information about this, even the number of affected cars, is classified, although initially the Estonian Government promised to conduct the research for general public (for rising general awareness of electric cars and their exploitation) and all cars were provided with a special tracking system for scientific research about their reliability.

Back