After market stereo

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

Has anyone installed an after market stereo in an ES?

I'm interested in doing so but I'm having a difficult time finding parts to install a double din

I am waiting for the double din kits too i thought about going to the dealer to get the nav trim parts but thought that might be a bit expensive last i looked i could not find much on the car.

We just wanted to put in rear speakers (so our kids can hear the music too) ... seems like that should be a no-brainer, the wires are probably there (haven't looked yet), just have to find the right size speaker.

Has anybody with an ES done this simple upgrade yet?

Well, I'd take a single or double DIN dash kit.

I have an SE, and last night I found there is what I think is an amp behind the larger rear panel on the driver's side. The ES might have the wires, but a smaller amp without extra channels for them. When one of you ES guys check the speaker hole you might want to check if you have amp back there too.

One of the few occasions when I needed more range we rented an Audi A3 with Navi and Radio and Cam integrated and display on both the double DIN 7 inch display and the smaller display between speedometer and fuel gauge. We absolutely liked it. The car had about the same price tag as our little "i".

You can buy a Naviceiver, double DIN DVD Radio and Digital Receiver and display for the rear view camera but it might cost you and arm and a leg.

I was even thinking about building a second CANBUS, not touching our car's because I am afraid of hackers and accidents like

http://princess-diana-life-n-death.blogspot.de/2007/06/princess-dianas-death-mystery-of-stolen.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rg_Haider#Death_and_aftermath

There have been rumors about CANBUS related accidents. Radios, Navis and cellular phones or WiFi hotspots in the car could invite hackers and agencies in particular.

So I might stick with a dumb Navi that can load data from Open Maps and display power sockets in my area. I'd still love one of those 7 inch Moniceivers with DVD drive but the price tag is too high for Karins liking.

danpatgal said:
We just wanted to put in rear speakers (so our kids can hear the music too) ... seems like that should be a no-brainer, the wires are probably there (haven't looked yet), just have to find the right size speaker.
I put rear speakers in my ES the DIY way described elsewhere on this site. Having done that, I would highly recommend buying the speakers from Mitsubishi. They snap into place and are the correct impedance (meaning the volume from the fronts and rears will be the same). IIRC, the speakers were not cheap -- $90 each -- but the convenience and correct fit/impedance is worth it.

All of the SE's should have the amp in the drivers side rear quarter panel. Thats how we get our 360 watt stereo over the lower output unit in the ES's. It looks (on the schematic) that it is a speaker level input amp not a line input---judging from the lack of shielded cables in the harness. If you replace the head unit, you would still have to provide power to the amp and the antenna amplifier to get the system up and running correctly. I am really happy with the standard SE headunit (except for the lack of a aux input and the clock that makes me think I am back in the Military). The only problem I have is the buzzing in the inner door panels when the bass starts kickin'. I am going to try some "Dynamat" on the outer door panels and the speaker support area behind the inner door panel to see if it helps. BTW--if you are adding rear speakers to the ES, make sure you get a "rear" speaker as it has the tweeter built in. The fronts have a seprate tweeter in the "A" pillar.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this. I did complete the "Dynamat" installation in the doors of the I-MiEV. It took care of about 90% of the "buzzing" problems with the Bass in the stock stereo. It also helped the bass response in the car and reduced the noise transferred to the outside via the vibrating door skins. It really gives the doors a solid feel instead of the tinny sound you get from the stock doors. It's amazing what is vibrating when the stereo is on. Everything from the exterior door handles to parts of the interior panels. It was worth the time and expense if you want better sound from the stock system. The only downside (except price) is the addition of about 15 pounds of weight (total) to the car. I also swapped the rear speakers to the front to get the speakers with the co-axial tweeters in the front seat area. The dog who rides in the back didn't care.

Back