48vdc Energy Source Utilization

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on where things are with my 48v system. Split this off from a different thread I had started writing in.

I'm setting up a bench-top experiment to see how well current is shared (both charging and discharging) by this eclectic '48v' bank consisting of paralleled -

4S 12v 55Ah Optimas (AGM) as many banks as I want as I have these leftovers from the Sparrows
4P16S LiFePO4 Headway 38140 12Ah cells thus 48Ah bank with cell monitoring and separate BMS
Three banks of 2P14S Li (NMC) Enerdel 32Ah per bank with cell monitoring but no BMS
Three banks of 11P16S LiFePO4 A123 out of a Hymotion Prius pack (~22Ah per bank IIRC) with built-in BMS

Limiting the maximum voltage to 56v and monitoring which should keep everyone happy at the upper limit and don't plan on going below 48.00vdc when discharging. Already demonstrated that my i-MiEV charges nicely from the 48v source using the PIP-4048MS pure sine-wave inverter first mentioned by OffGridQLD over on the Australian i-MiEV forum -
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/pip4048ms-inverter_topic4332_page2.html
Now that I think about it, I might just use the i-MiEV J1772 as a load bank for this testing.

Have an Orion BMS in a box that I have yet to setup and configure - the two PowerLab8 as been sufficient so far for cell-level balancing.

The lightweight lithium banks are going on the trimaran to power the 48v Torqeedo 4.0 outboard, with a number of flexible 100W solar panels providing a tiny recharging ability.

I have a separate bunch of low voltage (about 17v at peak power) 100W panels which I can configure to feed the 48v battery bank, with three panels in series and feeding any number of controllers (e.g., Morningstar TS-45 TriStar or the PIP-4048MS). The panels and batteries and controllers and inverters are going onto a modified Harbor Freight trailer as a stand-alone power source. As it presently stands, Intention is to mount these panels (folded) on the trailer. Unfortunately, this battery assembly, testing, and trailer-building is a presently-almost-suspended work in progress...

Also waiting in the wings are a couple of disassembled Enginer 48vdc-dc converters which should output 360vdc for directly powering the i-MiEV pack - could throw in a few those lighter-weight banks mentioned above for an onboard range-extender. Too many projects, too little time...

jray3 - did I get the ##P##S convention right? (inside joke)

pbui, you might want to drop by and have a look at this as a similar setup could solve your at-work charging problem.

Edit: Corrected S count of Enerdel and A123

JoeS said:
pbui, you might want to drop by and have a look at this as a similar setup could solve your at-work charging problem.

I have a plan but haven't done it yet. I guess it's not painful enough yet. My plan is to use my extra Enginer 48vdc pack. I just need to get a cheapy 48vdc->120vac inverter, oh and slightly upgrade the home-built BMS to shutdown for single cell low voltage cutoff. But now I am thinking twice about to configure as a 12vdc pack, ala Aerowatt, to potentially serve as power outage backup and the ability to tap the iMiev pack.

Similar to another thread, I only need 1-2 hrs of charge. It's annoying that our new 2016 Volt is having similar issue though, just out of EV range for a round trip commute.

I have too many projects, but in my case, I have to dodge my wife too. She thinks I am becoming a hoarder :lol:

pbui19 said:
I have to dodge my wife too. She thinks I am becoming a hoarder :lol:

Ah-ha; there may need to be a thread dedicated to issues of spousal misperception... EVer resort to having packages delivered to your place of work, or conduct off-budget transactions to reduce the 'splainin time required?
:?

Currently happy that my wife is reveling in the fact that EVen our wintertime driving is largely on solar, now that our second 2.2 kW array is online. http://www.karmanneclectric.blogspot.com/2015/11/solar-washington-part-deux.html

Back