phb10186

Re: Upgrading the heating system to bioethanol or Diesel fuel

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Though it wouldn't give the amount of heat out in total, why not use something like a Goalzero Yeti 400 powerpack, and then plug in a 300-400 watt fan heater. Yes it's about £400 - but you get a good portable power pack, no installation required at all, no exhaust etc - and you would get about an hour of heat , which would be ok for the majority of journeys - then use the car heater on a low setting if needed.... or is that not enough heat output?

You could charge this thing at work, and at home - so you'd always have the power on tap. I wonder if 300W over a 30 minute period would provide enough heat in conjunction to the heated seats etc.

Do you need a 2kw heater running all the time, or is a lower powered heater for a longer period going to supply enough? I liked the idea of the diesel heater, but it takes a lot of space, and you have to cut out the rear carpet mat and engine cover, which would cost far more to reinstate than the cost of the power pack, and no messing with diesel, and you keep the storage space too. I guess if you used that in conjunction with preheat mode, then 300w may maintain the heat in the car??? Even if it cant maintain room temperature, any thing close would be better than nothing.

... Just a thought.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 16K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:52 pm

phb10186 wrote:... I liked the idea of the diesel heater, but it takes a lot of space, and you have to cut out the rear carpet mat and engine cover, which would cost far more to reinstate than the cost of the power pack, and no messing with diesel, and you keep the storage space too...
Only one person so far has done the diesel-heated-air conversion, and we're still waiting for a longer-term assessment of this mod; all the others have installed the rather-elegant hot-water-heaters directly into the i-MiEV's existing plumbing.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Don
Site Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm

phb10186 wrote:Though it wouldn't give the amount of heat out in total, why not use something like a Goalzero Yeti 400 powerpack, and then plug in a 300-400 watt fan heater. Yes it's about £400 - but you get a good portable power pack, no installation required at all, no exhaust etc - and you would get about an hour of heat , which would be ok for the majority of journeys - then use the car heater on a low setting if needed.... or is that not enough heat output?
Over here on this side of the pond, most home utility heaters are 120 volts, 12.5 amps and put out about 1500 watts on high and 750 watts on low. Few people use the low setting unless it's to keep a doghouse warm. On a cold day in a car with lots of glass and little to no insulation you wouldn't find 750 watts of heat doing much of anything . . . . let alone only 300 to 400 watts. We have a saying here - For that price it's just too little sugar for your nickel

The diesel heaters put out several times more heat and when mounted under the hood they take up zero space inside the car and are easily reversible if you want to keep the heater when you sell the car. If you're looking for something to give you heat similar to what you're used to riding around in an ICE powered car in the winter, there really isn't any other option that I'm aware of - They will keep you toasty warm even if your wife spends hours in the store :lol:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Arnaud12

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 am

Hi
I'm Arnaud, driving a Peugeot ION, I would like do the same modification then here:

https://300mpg.org/imiev-heater-installation/

On my Webasto I have relay for the vehicule blower, I would like the parking heater turn on the vehicule fan during pre-heat (when the car is off).
I tried to take + from the battery to the + of the blower but it's not working because the speed regulation (whitsh is on the - side of the blower) is off.
I could of course use 2 relays (one for the + and one for the -) but then the blower will be at full speed all the time when I use the webasto.

Is anyone have a smarter place to plug this vehicule blower relay?

Sorry for my English

Gorfllub

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Based on the electrical diagrams, the blower speed is regulated by the violet and white wires on the blower transistor mounted to the blower itself.

Would need to test these leads and see what they do when the fan is at the speed you want. The service information I have gives no indication as to what the signals are. But if it truly is a transistor, I would imagine is simply a variable voltage.

So find the voltage required and send that to the power transistor. You would also need to feed +12v to the black blower wire. (blue is the ground side, controlled by the transistor)

This is all assuming you are talking about running the heater without the key on (ready) or driving.

I also assume your car does NOT have the remote control for turning on heating while plugged in? If it does, skip the blower wiring all together. Turn the heater on then use the remote to switch to defrost mode while plugged in.

And if you only want to use it while driving, again, do nothing with the blower wiring. Simply put the fan on whatever setting you want.

Other than the current draw, there is nothing wrong with running the fan on full.

Gorfllub

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Ugggggg.

I just did some testing and wrote a whole post about the results then something went bad and its gone.

The short version of the story is:

The white wire at the transistor is a fairly high impedance. like 17k ohm when off. And it increases all the way up over 100k ohm when on max.

So it may only need to open that wire and ground the transistor side through a resistor. Say 40k ohm for a mid speed fan. But you also have to feed the blower +12v as it is disconnected when the system is off.

Arnaud12

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the test :o
There is no remote contrrol on the peugeot.

From what I understand : I could use :

- relay 1 to take the +12V to black wire of the fan
- relay 2 to groud that white wire (I didn't really understand where it was)
- relay 3 to turn off relay 1 and 2 when the car is on, so I can use the knob from the car to set the fan speed.

Arnaud12

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 am

Ok I found the transistor I will try to put a potensiometer between the white and the black wire (ground).
Once It 'll be finish I'll try to do a feed back with pictures.

Gorfllub

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 am

Cool. Let us know!

Its too bad you don't have the remote. I wonder if its pre-wired and maybe you could put one in?

Arnaud12

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Form what I have seen on the french forum nobody add a remote (that doesn't mean it's impossible).
That's to bad PSA downgrade so much this car, it was probaly in the contrat with mistubishi (but that 's an other topic).

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”