2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

tonymil

Re: Something Interesting

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

I wonder how that would be classified in NY. We have very strict rules about adding any type of motor to a bicycle (tricycle?). It automatically becomes a scooter and needs registration, and if it can reach a certain speed it becomes a motorcycle. I think it's time NY updated its rules. EDIT Actually, scooters are not allowed on public roads. NY is stupid.

garygid

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Pedal power and electric motor power,...
Perhaps an electric Moped in many states?

But, three wheels might cause a classification problem
in some states. Perhaps a baby Aptera?

Add more batteries and plug-in charging to
qualify for the $7500 Federal tax credit?
LEAF owner, EV supporter

MLucas

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 am

Love it!

We have lots of 'mopeds' in the Niagara area. The drunks like them because they are classified as a bicycle as long as they don't exceed 32kmh, without a drivers license makes it easy to get to the bar.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

nt2w

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

tonymil wrote:I wonder how that would be classified in NY. We have very strict rules about adding any type of motor to a bicycle (tricycle?). It automatically becomes a scooter and needs registration, and if it can reach a certain speed it becomes a motorcycle. I think it's time NY updated its rules. EDIT Actually, scooters are not allowed on public roads. NY is stupid.

"Motorized Scooter" is, I think, defined in NY as a motor-powered version of a kid's kick-scooter- the device that looks like a skateboard with a handlebar. These are just plain illegal in NY. So are electric-assisted bicycles.

It's important to note that in NY, if it has a motor of any sort and has 2 or 3 wheels, it's a "motorcycle." If there's any hope of seeing this in NY, it has to be equipped legally as a motorcycle (lights, horn, etc), which shouldn't be too hard. However, the manufacturer would have to provide a motorcycle VIN, or the owner would have to get creative in calling it a "homemade motorcycle" which is a possibility in NY.

Organic Transit says it's legal in all 50 states as a bicycle, which is not the case, although their argument is that it's the state's problem...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/842248593/roll-out-the-elf-to-your-city#IsItRealLegaInAllStatMyStatSaysOthe

What I would call a "motor scooter" like the old Honda Helix as well as classic mopeds and "nopeds"- low speed motorbikes without pedals are classified as Limited Use Motorcycles.

Class A Limited Use Motorcycles are limited to 40mph- motor scooters- these require a motorcycle license to operate
Class B Limited Use Motorcycles are limited to 30mph- more modern "nopeds" and small size scooters. These can be driven without a motorcycle license (automobile license is required)
Class C LUM's are limited to 20mph, are the old Puch style mo-peds that are below 20mph. These can be ridden without a helmet, and no motorcycle license is necessary (auto license is required).

Looks like if the motorcycle requirements could be met, the Elf would be a Class C LUM. Still would have to have a plate (less than 10 bucks a year), although insurance is not necessary.

Looking for a brave volunteer to approach NY DMV!! Not me!
2012 i-MiEV ES, Black (owned 6/2012-4/2014)
Aerovironment Level 2 EVSE
Powered in part by 1680W of Photovoltaics

Phximiev

Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

Something interesting?

https://youtu.be/uEiJHq1Izwg
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”