MLucas

Re: Reactions from bystanders

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:32 am

jray3 wrote:MLucas, I hope you don't hesitate to show that badazz attitude at red lights. I'd love to install a rear-quarter camera to catch the expressions of those surprised drivers. "Sleeper" cars are so much fun. Last night I rode with an octagenarian LEAF owner who drives 55 on the highway, but doesn't hesitate to plant the go pedal for a strategic lane change. That really befuddles the sheeple in other lanes...

This past weekend, I was at a light sitting next to a Cadillac SRX (brand new). As I left the light, I could hear his engine roaring and the transmission changing the gears. I stepped on the Amp pedal and left him the dust. The look of disgust on his face that his $45K dollar Cadillac just got stomped on by this little EV was priceless.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 am

What a difference an answer makes! It's been a month or so now that I have changed my response to the bystander's question "How far can it go?"

From "EPA says 62 miles on a charge" or "anywhere between 50 and 100 miles on a charge, depending on how you drive"

To "A couple of hundred miles a day"

The former responses invariable met with a squirm and maybe a perfunctory question or two, whereas the latter is usually an upbeat "oh, really?!" and then they want to know more…

The ice has been broken, and people are far more receptive to further discussion as I've piqued their interest. I then elaborate and discuss opportunity charging and there's no problem with them grasping that concept and accepting it, and then we go on as I point out all the iMiEV's cool features...

Marketeers, take note.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Vike

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:54 pm

MLucas wrote:This past weekend, I was at a light sitting next to a Cadillac SRX (brand new). As I left the light, I could hear his engine roaring and the transmission changing the gears. I stepped on the Amp pedal and left him the dust. The look of disgust on his face that his $45K dollar Cadillac just got stomped on by this little EV was priceless.

Just been driving mine a week, and I've already had this experience a couple of times. In both cases, I needed to change lanes after clearing the intersection, and at first the hulking SUV next to me was revving up to pace me, keeping me in my lane (do tiny cars just bring out the bully?). Press on the juice, and with no drama just whoosh ahead and leave the lunk looking puzzled in my rearview mirror.

I generally play nice, though - I don't imagine lots of putting your foot into it is good for the battery (i.e., degrading capacity, not just burning range).
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

TaosEV

Sat May 11, 2013 4:12 pm

I have a rather large bumper sticker with the word "ohm" on the back of the car, and a 3x5 card in the rear side quarter window that explains that this is an electric car with some yada yada details.

Drove the dogs to Kit Carson Park for a walk today. On returning to the car, our way was briefly blocked by a car backing out next to ours. On the other side of our car, a family was getting out of a Ford Expedition with Tennessee plates. I overheard the following from the family as I waited to approach our car.

Teenage Daughter: "Ohm. O-H-M. That just makes no sense. Why would someone put that on their car?"
Mother (reading 3x5 card): "It says here this car is 100% electric."
Father (loudly): "F***ING LIBERAL!"

At that, I used the key remote to unlock the car, the sound of which surprised the mother. As I loaded the dogs, the father looked over his shoulder at me, his face bright bright red.
=====
2012 iMiEV
2007 Zenn
1998 Honda EV+
1995 GM Impact prototype consumer test driver
... over 60,000 miles in electrics

acensor

Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Like rest of you, lots of reactions.
Live in a very so-to-speak "progressive" town.
Every third Third or fourth car in a parking lot is a Prius. A fair sprinkling of smartcars.
Never seen a Hummer here. Few large SUVs.

Local power company buys back any excess PV you generate on your house at FULL retail price.

So all positive responses..... Right up to "where can I buy one?"

Even had one local EV guru recognize it as MiEV.

I need a one page handout sheet of basic FAQ full curious onlookers. Anyone do that yet? Or I'll make one.

Alex
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

Lithim

Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Had an opportunity recently to pick up a person who had obviously run out or gas (gas can in hand). We drove to a nearby gas station and I told him I would give him a lift back to his car. When he got back in the i-miev after getting gas he commented about the quietness of the engine. At that point I told him it was electric and the questions started.

2012, ES, silver with QC. Owned since Feb. 2013

RobbW

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 am

MLucas wrote:This past weekend, I was at a light sitting next to a Cadillac SRX (brand new). As I left the light, I could hear his engine roaring and the transmission changing the gears. I stepped on the Amp pedal and left him the dust. The look of disgust on his face that his $45K dollar Cadillac just got stomped on by this little EV was priceless.

Being a brand new iMiEV owner, I am very apprehensive of doing anything that may somehow injure or degrade my i in any way. So, in the four days that I have owned mine, the go pedal has been babied almost to the point of ridiculousness. There has been one time so far that I've had to give it a little extra juice to merge into traffic from a dead stop. And even then, I was driving in Eco mode and did not stomp on the pedal. I was satisfied with my little i's ability to get up and moving.

However, I have not yet had or taken the opportunity to put her into drive and floor the go pedal. Like I said, I'm afraid of causing any harm to my new little toy or degrading its abilities in any way. Over the weekend, there were a couple instances where I was sitting first in line at a red light next to an obviously self-important snot with disdain for any vehicle smaller than his. One light it was a Mustang, and the other light it was some honking SUV of one make or another. I'll admit, I imagined how satisfying it would be if my iMiEV were capable of being floored and leaving those punks in a cloud of electrons behind me. Of course, I did no such thing, but I did wonder what she was capable of.

Okay, I have to ask. I sounds like a few of you have taken the opportunity to surprise some folks with our iMiEV's unexpected pep. I was wondering if those who have punched the go pedal cold expound upon our cars' abilities in such situations? The last thing I'd want to do is finally give in to my temptation only to be ridiculed and embarrassed for my car's poor performance. I'd like to know what she can do without risking damage trying to find out!

WyVern

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:37 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to use the go button when you need to. The iMiev picks up very well compared to most large sedans and SUVs, acceleration is the result of torque over weight after all. Many determined ICE drivers have the capability to beat the iMievs acceleration, it is catching them unaware that is satisfying.

My first day with the iMiev saw me running its battery almost fully empty to get home. When it made it without a problem despite a long highway journey and such stress on the battery I am more than happy with the robustness of this fun little car.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:35 pm

RobbW, as long as you don't need to drive to maximize your trip mileage (which, you'll find, is most of the time) - put her into either D or B and go ahead and punch the go-pedal. Your iMiEV will silently show its tail to your unsuspecting neighbors.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

RobbW

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

While I appreciate the advice, Joe, I'm still trying to work past the ICE driver inside of me that always tried to drive to conserve gas. Constantly stomping on my iMiEV's go pedal just feels wrong for some reason.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”