I have a secret - odometer display mystery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleydavidgood777

and a mystery....

Last August when I went to look at the used i-Miev that I now own, the advertisement said it had 14,702 miles on it. (2017 model). When I drove it, I cycled thru the odometer button and indeed saw that number. I think it actually was the exact number, which was a hint that no one else even test driven it for a while...which is why I ended up offering $10k (listed price was $13,900 I think). Anyway, only one week later, when I went back to purchase the car, the odometer said 450 miles. I cycled thru the different options about 3 times because I couldn't believe it. Even if some kind of reset was done unintentionally, how could someone have put 450 miles on it in just one week? Just sounded really strange. I said nothing. The paperwork came out and all of it said 14,702. I said nothing and drove away. Now the car has somewhere between 3-4k on it. And I recently took it to the dealer here for the airbag thing so the records are now showing the new 3000 something at this point. I was wondering if somehow the Mitsu database would find the difference, or if some PA state government database would notice the difference, for example, looking for rollbacks or whatever. But nothing.

So I continue to say nothing and just keep driving. :)

Oh great... Next thing you'll let out the secret that Sandange didn't actually drive 92,000 miles in under four years and just rolled his odometer forward for bragging rights! :roll:

Curious to hear if an answer ever emerges, such as a replaced computer module, misplaced magnet, solar flare activity, neutron bomb, etc..

Did you buy it from a dealer as a new car or a used car? If so maybe they reset it using the MUT3 tool to give you a "fresh" start on the mileage for warranty purposes. You get a barely used car with a nearly new warranty. They can't sell a car as new with 14k miles, and can't sell a used one with zero miles, hence the 450 starting point.

Pretty sure it was the same car. And it was sold as used.

It was out in the middle of PA and would not sell because most people commute very far to work - I kind of figured that and the sales guy actually told me that too.
So I don't think they would have had 2 and made a switch.

The MUT 3 tool is able to read and write data to all the ECUs on the car over the CAN buss thru the OBDII port. The combination meter that displays mileage is on the CAN buss to the EV-ECU, which stores the odometer reading (Data List Item #1) along with numerous other data items in memory and on EEPROM.

So the service manual procedure for replacing an ECU includes reading the stored values before replacement, and then writing back the values into the new ECU using the MUT3. The data shows up as numbers in a field of a PC monitor and can easily be edited just like anything on a computer screen.

i have a mut clone but it can only read data. i have been looking to buy a read/write version, but so far only dealers seem to have those.

If a car had never been titled but had lots of miles due to joy rides from potential buyers, then i believe anyone could use a MUT to easily reset the odo to any value. It may not be legal or ethical, but it certainly is a possible thing if you have the right tools and equipment.

Of course seeing is believing, and without pictures this thread is useless.

Is it possible they went by the service interval screen by mistake? There are a bunch of screens that are easily confused.

It would be tough for a 2017 to have 14,000 miles already, but I suppose it's possible.

PV1 said:
Is it possible they went by the service interval screen by mistake? There are a bunch of screens that are easily confused.

It would be tough for a 2017 to have 14,000 miles already, but I suppose it's possible.

This seems most likely--15,000 mile first service interval minus 300 miles driven gives 14700 showing. If the button is pressed and held it will turn off or clear the interval reminder (exact procedure is in user's manual).

Yea maybe that's it. Seems to make sense. After all, I had no idea what number was what when I was cycling thru. I just believed that the 14702 was the odometer because that's what was in the ad.

Reminds me of the time almost exactly six years ago when I was buying my brand new i-MiEV sitting on the showroom floor and I was upset that the 'odometer' was showing 77 miles, and I used that as one of my many arguments in my negotiations. :evil: Only on the drive home did I realize it was the RR gauge. :oops: :roll:

I am not so sure about the odometer display confusion thing. The car was definitely used. The date on the car is Feb 2016. I have a really hard time believing that someone bought a $23k car and only drove it 300 miles. Just doesn't make sense.

I finally remembered to go to the car and get the manual and record all of the info from the display. Here are my notes:

Position - Description - Reading
1 - Odometer - 4110 miles
2 - Trip A - 888.6 miles
3 - Trip B - 888.6 miles
4 - Dash lights brightness - 4 squares
5 - Service reminder (Drive distance remaining until next inspection) - all dashes
6 - Service reminder (Number of months remaining until next inspection) - all dashes
7 - Cruising range indicator - 75 miles
8 - Outside Temp - 48F

Top of display shows a wrench (called spanner in the manual). This, along with the dashes in positions 5 and 6 indicate that service is due. I am not sure how long they have been like that but I am guessing that they have been like that since I picked up the car. Because I often cycle thru and I would have noticed if there was another number and would have been curious what it was and looked it up. I don't ever remember seeing any numbers for either 5 or 6.

So the theory was a good one but I'm thinking at this point that I still have a mystery, even tho the title of this thread was changed to indicate that it was odometer confusion. I don't think that theory is holding up.

For these reasons:

Car manufactured in Feb 2016, bought used by me in Aug 2017. I don't think it was around for 18 months after being born and only had 300 miles driven. Plus, I don't think anyone would purchase a new vehicle and only drive it 300 miles before selling it.

When I drove away from the dealer, the odometer read 450 miles. Now it is 4110. I'm guessing the service interval is 15000, so it is not time for the next service.

Got any new theories?

I have not checked into the solar flare activity around that time. But that is sounding like a good option.

bradleydavidgood777, I hear you so I changed the thread title to "mystery". 4110 miles sounds reasonable, as I'm always amazed at how few miles many of the used i-MiEVs have accrued. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it and the only problem you might have is if you want to sell it before it reaches that mysterious 14702 mileage that you bought it at.

Something that may factor in here? I've seen these cars sold "used" with very few miles. A look at the cars history shows that the dealer (unable to sell the car titled it and took the tax rebate). Instant used car with only some test drive miles on it. The service indicators are hinky. Wife's says next service is in 26,000 miles or 19 months. We bought it "new" with 1,400 ish miles on it and it has between 11k and 12k on it now?? Perhaps search it's title history and it will shed some light on it. The service indicators are useless for tracking it's history. They could have been reset by accident, by anyone. Reset two or three times in a row and you get my wife's whacky readouts.

I would register it with Mitsu's owners site with your current ODO reading and see if anyone says boo!

Aerowhatt

Good ideas, thanks. I registered on Mitsu and see the following history. Bell Mitsu is in Rahway, NJ, which is close to NYC, and about 4 hours drive from York Mitsu where I bought it. So we have one more clue. It was probably not a new car at York Mitsu. Will try Carfax next.

Service Date Dealer Vehicle Mileage Service Type Service Description
01/05/2018 SPRINGFIELD MITSUBISHI-PA 3226 Campaign Claim REPLACE PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG INFLATOR
05/17/2016 BELL MITSUBISHI 46 Warranty Claim FRONT DOOR LATCH (LOCK)..ADJUSTMENT

Carfax report:
Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
02/16/2016 Mitsubishi Motors
mitsubishicars.com Vehicle manufactured
Labrador black pearl exterior
Black interior
04/27/2016 Mitsubishi Motors
mitsubishicars.com Vehicle shipped to original dealer
in Rahway, NJ
05/04/2017 14,700 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cypress, CA