MtnViewMark

Better charging controls

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:35 am

The controls over when the vehicle charges leave a bit to be desired: You plug the car in, it starts charging immediately. Then you use the remote to set a number of hours of delay (in half hour increments), at which point the car stops charging and waits for that time period.

Given my electric rates, what I want is for the car to start charging after midnight, no matter when I bring it home and plug it in. That's because I'm on time-of-use rates with my electric company, and it is much cheaper then.

A much much better user interface for the timed charging feature would be: I set a start time (and optional end time, though I can't see much use for that) for charging that is a time of day, like, say, 12:15am. Then whenever I plug the car in, it doesn't charge until the set time comes 'round.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Better charging controls

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:02 pm

MtnViewMark, thanks for posting. Sounds like another gadget not completely thought-through. Never want to turn something on only to have it turn off soon thereafter.

Since the iMiEV (can't bring myself to calling it the "i") 120v EVSE limits the current to only 8A, I would imagine that permanently mounting a $5 lamp timer on your 120vac wall socket would do the trick. Simply set its on/off cycle for your desired time of use. Or is there something else you need to do after the unit is plugged in?

More significantly, when the 240vac EVSE gets installed, it may be a good idea to have it fed through, for example, an Intermatic timer commonly used for water heaters and swimming pool pumps. You could install a 7-day timer to take into account the different weekend time-of-use.

Since I'm less worried about TOU but want to never fully charge (I live up a 600' hill and would thus start off every trip by regenning), I plan on using a countdown timer to always shut off the charger input power before she's 'full'. I do that presently with all my EVs (I have five) as a safety backup, anyway.

Nice to know ahead of time so we can plan for it.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

jjlink
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:26 am

Since I have the Leviton L2 EVSE with a NEMA 6-20 plug I am going to try this 240 volt 16 amp light timer. In this case I can just plug it in.

http://www.sunleaves.com/detail.asp?sku=SSFDT140

ImageImage
John - 2012 Silver i-MiEV SE model, Jan 19th, 2012 w/OpenEvse, caniOn,& OVMS.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:45 am

jjlink, thank you very much for this timer suggestion - I've been looking for something like this 240v unit. In reading their manual, it looks as though their countdown feature seems to turn something ON instead of OFF at the end of the countdown.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

seattler

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:54 am

Interesting idea with the timer! I guess that would work, although I always thought the charger needed to be plugged in and then turned on? Or if you have the car plugged in, and then plug in the charger (manually or via a timer switching it on), will the charging start without any other user input? Lots of modern day electronics, like my surround sound, require me to push the power button even if I left it on when I flicked off the power bar last time.

MtnViewMark

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:30 am

It is an open question on if it will work with a timer: If you follow the instructions, and plug the EVSE in to the power source first, then plug it into the car, indeed it starts charing immediately (though we don't know if you've set a delay with the remote if the delay reapplies, or is reset after it has run out...) But, as there is logic interlock with the car connector, it isn't certain that if you plug it into the car first, then power (or connect it on a timer) it will just start. We'll have to wait until someone tries it.

However, I have to admit, I feel a bit cheesed-off that after buying a $30k car, and $1k charging station - I still have to use a timer!

jjlink
Site Moderator

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 am

Yes, the timer will take some experimentation to see what works best. In the case of the Leviton EVB22-3PM the user guide says once charging is started, in the event of a power outage, when the power is restored the charging station will enter a Cold Load Pickup mode. This is a random (2-15 min) delay for the self-test start and is indicated by a flashing charging LED. The fault LED will flash momentarily while performing a self-test. Charging will resume when the self-test is complete.

So I am thing there are to scenarios to try:

1) With the timer in OFF mode connect the charging connector to the car and wait for the timer to automatically turn ON at the designated charging time and see if charging starts normally after the EVSE self test completes.

2) With the timer in ON mode connect the charging connector to the car. Then manually shut OFF the timer right after charging starts. Then wait for the timer to automatically turn ON at the designated charging time and see if the charge cycle starts normally after the EVSE self test (and random delay) completes.

jjlink
Site Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am

I got the timer for my L2 EVSE. It looks like it will do the job. Here is the description: http://www.sunleaves.com/detail.asp?sku=SSFDT140

Photo Dec 29, 11 51 31 by JJLINK, on Flickr

Photo Dec 29, 11 50 17 by JJLINK, on Flickr

MtnViewMark

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Aha - careful reading of the owner's manual indicates that function of the remote might be sneakier than appeared. It seems that if you on one day, at 9pm, use the remote to delay the charging by 3 hours (to midnight), then the next day, if you plug in the car at say 7pm and turn on the remote, it will indicate 5 hours until start of charging. Seems like one will only need use the remote to enable the charge timer and not have to reset the delay each time, assuming you want a constant start time.

Now, why they just couldn't have the remote have a clock (which I realize you'd have to set...) and let you clearly set start time is beyond me. The other oddness is that it would be nice to be able to choose delay/non-delay when I plug it in - say with a button in the charging port well... Having to fumble with the remote seems awkward.

Anyhow - for now we are on 120v charging until the 240 charger is installed, so experimentation with the remote will have to wait until a few weeks.

jjlink
Site Moderator

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:59 pm

I assume you don't have to use the remote to initiate the charging cycle, correct? Does just plunging in the car to a charge station cause it to start charging?

Its too bad they wont let us look at the owners manuals they have on-line but you have to already be Mitsubishi car owner to do that (not just on the waiting list). http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/ ... manuals.do

Return to “Suggestions for Mitsubishi”