Copy mp3 direct from usb dongle to car HD

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at your signature you are addicted to EV's. Have the bug now too, have a 2012 Leaf SL and looking at getting the iMiEV. Sorry can't answer you question though.

eMaS said:
Has anyone figured out how to copy songs directly to the hard drive via USB thumb drive?
Not sure I understand the question . . . .

I 'rip' CD's to the hard drive in my notebook and then assemble the songs I want in a folder ('Car Music') and then load the contents of that folder to the USB stick and put it in the car

Don

I don't want to first 'rip' a cd. Just load mp3s on a thumb drive, plug it into the car and move the files over.
I don't even know if this would work but that is the reason I asked

I had this same question, and after searching through a few forums learned that due to licensing and Mitsubishi's unwillingness to pay it, mp3s can't be directly copied. Burning a bunch of albums to an audio DVD-R was suggested as an alternative to loading cd after cd but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet.

Also, I must say that I'm very unimpressed with the Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System included in the SE premium package, which is what eMaS is working with here. Granted, I didn't really pay full price for a premium package, but in the non-premium package actually works better for iPods. My 160GB iPod is too big for it, and the system tries to index the entire iPod before it plays. In the rare event that the iPod interface shows up after 10 minutes, it is extremely wonky. Each button push creates a long delay, making it effectively unusable. If you suffer through the 10 minutes it takes to play an album, the songs play out of order. I've just resorted to ripping CDs to the hard drive, although I won't be able to put as many albums on the HDD as I did on my iPod.

On the plus side, the rear cam comes in handy and the bluetooth phone integration works (as long as you don't try to use voice command). But if Mitsubishi expects people to pay $2,000 extra for this, they need to up their game here.

eMaS said:
. . . . load mp3s on a thumb drive, plug it into the car and move the files over.
'Move the files over' . . . . to what??

The stereo reads them directly off the thumb drive - No thumb drive = no music

Don

Don said:
I assume that eMaS wants to transfer MP3 files from a thumb drive to the hard disc that's included with the premium package, and then play these MP3 files from the hard disc rather than from the thumb drive. If this were possible, one could keep a music library on the hard disc so that a thumb drive would not be needed to play music.

nsps said:
My 160GB iPod is too big for it...
I have the base ES with the cheap stereo. I have an 80GB iPod Classic which is read in about 3 seconds. Sounds like there might be something wrong with your radio.

This is where my statement that "the non-premium package actually works better for iPods" comes from. I plugged my iPod into an SE without the premium setup and it plays it immediately. The problem is that the premium system is attempting to do things premium-ly, I suppose, but isn't engineered well enough to do them. I think the non-premium system leaves most of the processing to the iPod, while the premium system tries to index everything for voice recognition or something.

The tech at my dealership told me that even a 10GB iPod takes 5 minutes to start playing.

I did take my car into the dealership, showed them how you can leave the iPod plugged in for hours and it just says "Reading…" They spent two days with the car, tested all the cables, and in the end concluded that, from a hardware perspective, everything is fine. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to recognize that defective firmware is still defective, so I'm stuck with a crappy iPod player. I'd rather have a non-"premium" stereo that actually performs its function, but oh well.

This may sound elementary and too obvious to even answer, but here goes: Is it possible to just copy songs on to a memory stick and then put it into the I-Pod jack on the car? My I Pod Classic plays great on the car's radio, but my I Pod Shuffle will not play. I thought that I could take the songs from the Shuffle and put them on the stick, and then try to play, if that would work...

Lou

Yes, standard USB sticks work quite nicely in the USB port in your car. Since you have an iPod, just put your FAT32-formatted USB stick into your computer, and drag songs from iTunes into the USB stick.

Has anyone tried a 160GB memory stick? I don't want to waste money on one and then find out that it works just as poorly. Bluetooth audio works fine, so I may get a Bluetooth audio adapter for the iPod Classic, but then I don't think I'd be able to answer phone calls which is what that whole system does well thus far.

I cannot imagine what you would put on a 160Gb memory stick - I currently have more than 300 songs on a 4 Gb stick and they take up about 750Mb, so a 4 Gb stick will hold more than 1500 songs, which means you'd have to take a really long trip before you'd hear the same song twice. With a 160Gb stick, you'd have to live a long time to hear the same song twice ;)

Don

Thanks Aaron. I will try tonight to drag the songs over. I made myself a short play list of about 60 songs or so, they are upbeat, uptempo songs that I like to listen to. I'd been hoping that they could be played on my radio, so this is good news.

Lou

Don said:
I cannot imagine what you would put on a 160Gb memory stick - I currently have more than 300 songs on a 4 Gb stick and they take up about 750Mb, so a 4 Gb stick will hold more than 1500 songs, which means you'd have to take a really long trip before you'd hear the same song twice. With a 160Gb stick, you'd have to live a long time to hear the same song twice ;)

Don

I'm pretty obsessive about music and like to have as much with me as possible, hence the 160GB iPod. I want to be able to play whatever strikes my fancy, not what I planned to play when I loaded my iPod. If I didn't want that much music with me, I wouldn't need such a big iPod anyway. I own a Classic — rather than the more modern, slicker models — for the capacity.

You should've seen all the CDs I kept in my car before the iPod era. (My girlfriend bought me my first iPod just to get them out of the car.)

alohart said:
Don said:
I assume that eMaS wants to transfer MP3 files from a thumb drive to the hard disc that's included with the premium package, and then play these MP3 files from the hard disc rather than from the thumb drive.

Wait, wait. :?: am I hearing right that if I can get mp3s on a thumb drive and plug it into my MiEV's USB port the'll play?
And there's a hard drive in my MiEV's sound sys?
If so. What's it used for ?

Alex

acensor said:
alohart said:
Don said:
I assume that eMaS wants to transfer MP3 files from a thumb drive to the hard disc that's included with the premium package, and then play these MP3 files from the hard disc rather than from the thumb drive.

Wait, wait. :?: am I hearing right that if I can get mp3s on a thumb drive and plug it into my MiEV's USB port the'll play?
If you have the optional $150 USB port on your radio, then yes . . . . a USB stick works perfectly. The readout on the SE's radio shows the folder and file numbers and also displays the name of the track as each one begins to play. We haven't tried listening to the radio since we bought the car . . . . the SE's 8 speaker sound system sounds GREAT - I did try 'upgrading' the speakers though, but the aftermarket Pioneer's I tried made the sound worse and not better

I believe only the Premium Nav Package has the hard drive . . . . I know for sure my SE doesn't

Don

Using the memory stick worked great! My only issue is that the port is located in a hard to access spot, and I kept missing as I tried to insert the memory stick. But I got it eventually. I really don't know why anyone would bring an I-Pod into their car(and risk it being stolen) if they have the option of using a memory stick. Now, I will have to convert all of my songs over to a memory stick, instead of the 60 or so I tried as an initial expiriment...

Lou

Back