Phximiev

Free Charging

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 pm

One of the things that I like about this electric car movement is the more than occasional free charge. Tonight, I went to the Valeo apartments in Phoenix (see plugshare) which sports 5 free chargepoint chargers with a coffee bar next door, and treated the 'Miev to 5 free 'beers" while I did a workout at LA Fitness.

Can't beat it. Can't remember that I ever received a free drop of gasoline.

:D
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

wmcbrine

Re: Free Charging

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:25 am

It's certainly fun for now, but it's hard to imagine that it will be the pattern long-term, as EVs become more widespread. I dunno, maybe the incentives will continue to work out.

tigger19687

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:56 am

I think as the EV's come more and more main stream the chargers will become more $$.
Not a ton, but enough to make you pay something.
Then again, I think MOST EV'ers charge at home now anyway. They have to be smart enough that they KNOW they can't just stop and get a charge anywhere.
So EV is not for everyone.. like my son who will ONLY put in $20 of gas into the Yukon XL :roll: BUT an EV would be great for him as he can't remember to put OIL in when the light comes on.

As apartments start to put them in I hope that they are smart enough to have a restricted meter and the tenant will have to add $ to their rent.

I get to plug in at work... NOT because they allow it ( the higher-ups don't even know) but because I was able to CON the 24 y/o new boss of the parking garage. Plus there is only myself and one Dr that plug in and he works nights ;)

There is a free charge near my favorite Pizza place in Lexington MA. Nice to have it there and there are a ton of shops, restaurants and local touristy shopping around it. Nice for that time you want to sit and eat. BUT there are parking meters that are 25 cents for 15 min- or something like that.
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 am

I have a different take on 'free charging', as I actually welcome some nominal payment for charging. We had 'free' for a few years, and the stations seemed to always be taken by PHEVs (Volt, PIP, etc.). Now that most charging stations cost money (not much for L2, exorbitant for DCQC) I find them more accessible. That, plus the culture has changed as people realize that charging at home covers most of their needs and the new-owners' feeling that they need to keep the car 'full' dissipates. I have little red notes I put under windshield wipers when I see a fully-charged EV taking a charging spot or else an EV not even plugged in!

Incidentally, we also have an associated thread on Complimentary Charging:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1300
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:01 am

By de-selecting the payment option on plugshare, one can see the free stations. There are still quite a few in the Phoenix area and I imagine elsewhere.

The Nissan dealers here have always been both free and cooperative to my knowledge and certainly were yesterday when we went to a dealer for a free DCQC. All of their free Level 2 stations were occupied by Leafs and their owners were having a small but enthusiastic congregation in the service waiting area.

The other "free" charging stations, such a Valeo, have coffee shops, where I have occasionally bought something to eat to kill the time. Others are in shopping centers and bundling a free charge simply attracts customers who may not otherwise come to shop. For instance, the Blinks at Bookmans in Phoenix are free. Its all the more reason to go there for a charge, as we shop in that center frequently, including Bookmans.

Whilst it may not always be that way, I certainly do appreciate it now. And like I said above, I have never received a free drop a gas.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am

In the early days, I used to plug in just let let a new owner 'see' some traffic on their charging station (even though they may be run by ChargePoint, the stations are owned locally). With the proliferation of EVs, no need to do that any more. Also, when patronizing them, I make a point of telling the owners of nearby establishments how much I appreciate their nearby charging station. Probably the only use I have for the local in-town (not free) charging stations is the rare sip after a long trip before my five-mile climb home - I simply like to avoid taking my i-MiEV down below two bars. As far as free stations, if I recall, Volta's charging model is to let advertising pay for the station, and they have a few in our area http://voltacharging.com/map.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Free Volta Charging at Whole Foods:

Between the free charging and the free samples, Whole Foods is hard to beat for short visits, in this case a cooked chicken!

During moderately warm days (like today only 95 degrees) and short stops, we use the Auto Expressions shade to protect against the sun rather than the Budge, see the Sun Shade topic also: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=413&p=28040#p28040 Between that and the Dashmat, the 'cooling' result is reasonable, see: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3146&p=27967#p27967

The front plate we obtained from the i-Miev Forum member, rgalvinmi: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3122&p=27772&hilit=front+license#p27772

As far as Chargepoint, the Valeo stations mentioned above are no longer free. :cry:

But Volta seems to have several new stations at Whole Foods locations. :D
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:52 pm

The only public charging station within 50 miles of my house is at the Biloxi bus terminal - One L2 cord and it's free. I've never seen a car parked there charging. I've used it once - It's about 2 blocks from the baseball park and I got a free charge while watching the game

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Phximiev

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 pm

Good reason to go enjoy a game.... but why so few in the Biloxi area? Good beach, it looks like, as well as highways galore, it should have a bunch of chargers.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

wmcbrine

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Don wrote:The only public charging station within 50 miles of my house is at the Biloxi bus terminal - One L2 cord and it's free. I've never seen a car parked there charging.

It doesn't seem to be on Plugshare. Maybe you should add it? :)

It looks to me like there are a couple of other stations listed within 50 miles of Biloxi, but only just.

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”