wmcbrine

Re: Not Charging. Main Inverter Fuse blown

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:59 pm

iDriver wrote:After this, I'm not buying an Electric Car from a traditional car manufacturer again. The existing dealership model, and state of ability/knowledge in their service departments, has a long long way to go.

Teslas cost even more...

1pk

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 pm

kiev

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Looks like a bargain at $1799. compared to the dealer price.

i would like to take a look at fixing your "bad" one.

kenny
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

sandange

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 am

There is one I Miev here in Quebec, Canada for sale on the internet
classified adds called Kijiji ( like craigs list)
It's selling for parts claiming a MCU failure. Ad ID 1301942854
4,500 Canadian dollars = aprox 3,500 USD

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/lanaudiere/2012-mitsubishi-i-miev-ev-elec-auto/1301942854?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also the other Miev that just had the main fuse replaced is still operating fine since the replacement – both models were 2012’s
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
88,850 miles, 143,000 km
Previous EVs
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
Total Electric miles driven 130,480 miles (210,000 km)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

kiev

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am

iDriver wrote:No luck. The fuze pops while charging the car. So it looks like I'll be buying a replacement. Merry (expletive deleted by moderator) Christmas to me. :x

@Kiev, i'm having them give me the old one. I'll send it to you if you'd like to check it out. Any other advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

It's really odd that it blows the fuse to the inverter while charging--i wouldn't have guessed that power was applied to the inverter at that time, can't see any reason why it would be needed or desired.

Yes indeed i would like to see if the main capacitor aka condenser is shorted.

iDriver

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am

They're doing the work right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aerowhatt

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am

iDriver wrote:They're doing the work right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Looking forward to your report on this!

Reminds me, even though the dealer price for this "repair" is obscene! It's not any different for an ICE. Way back in 1990 I had a piston Gaul on my (bought new for $9,000) 1986 Jeep comanche. After a lot of calls and finagling I was able to get the engine pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled for ~ $3,600.00 by third party vendors. The dealers service estimate was much higher of course, but still I spent an awful lot to keep the truck from staying a paper weight. Automatic transmissions are famous for costing thousands to repair when they act up too. Nothing right/reasonable about any of it! But the fact is that any car is a money pit, some shallower, some deeper. The electronics on EV's have always worried me longevity wise. But again, the electronics on modern ICE's are extensive too and the vehicle will not function if they act up either.

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016

kiev

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 pm

@iDriver

here is a picture of inside the high-voltage part of the MCU, showing the small fuse circled in red, and the big capacitor that connects to the pack + and - terminals. The orange cable at the top is the feed line from the charger to the fuse on the + terminal to the pack (and capacitor). The fuse is marked "PEC 20A 450VDC". To the right of the fuse is a 15W 58k bleed resistor that drains the capacitor when the key is switched off. If the resistor were internally shorted it could also blow the fuse.

In this picture you can see the IGBT 6-pack under the capacitor. There are 3 circuit boards that route signals to control both the top and bottom transistors for one motor phase. There are 3 motor phases and the wiring is designated by color B, W, R.

Here is an IGBT under the green circuit board showing the silicon dies of the totem pole and the high current buss bars. If something failed here it would be clearly visible during disassembly. Good luck, i hope they get your car fixed. Maybe we can fix the old MCU if that is the location of the problem, but it could very well be in the charger. The fuse is the symptom, but the issue is elsewhere. The DTCs should be used to diagnose and troubleshoot the failure.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am

Kenny, thank you so much for posting and discussing these photos. Nothing appears to have cooked, and, starting with the simplest, presumably you've checked both the capacitor and resistor and they're ok? I'd be inclined to apply 400v to that cap (recognizing our i-MiEV only gets up to 360vdc) and let it sit for a while to see if it holds the charge. Edit: Maybe also heat it and freeze it to see if it hiccups.

Appreciate your analysis, all slowly adding to our body of knowledge about our cars. Do let us know if you make any progress.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Antaris

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 pm

My I is in the shop and they say they have another with the same error code. A fuse is on the way and should be installed Monday. The sales guy at the dealership says that since 2012 they have sold 72 units. It makes sense to me that some business in North America would figure out how to repair the components. I have talked with an engineer locally that repairs cnc electronics and owns one of the competitors electric cars.
Hopefully he can help me if Mitsu chokes.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”