sventchik

Maintenance of gearbox ....

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:59 am

Hi there,

It's comming to make the oil change of the gearbox, as Mitsubishi recommands to make it every 5 years / 100.000 km.

Does anybody already make it ? By himself or in a service centre ? What kind of oil ?

Here some tutorial : http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/on ... 400ENG.HTM

mdbuilder

Re: Maintenance of gearbox ....

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:06 pm

No, but that looks pretty simple to do yourself.
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

siai47

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Pretty sure there is no requirement for any EP (extreme pressure) lube like rear axle oil. I always ran the lowest viscosity oil I could find, like a 0W20 synthetic engine oil. I finally found some quarts of GM EV-1 transaxle oil which has a viscosity about the same as water. Worked just fine--still in the car. The key is lower viscosity = less drag = more range. It's just a straight helical gear speed reducer that's really overbuilt for the car. There is a bottom drain plug and a side fill plug. Warm it up, drain it and refill with what you decide to use. There are no filters but there is a magnet to catch any fine metallic particles. Unfortunately, it cannot be reached to be cleaned or serviced without disassembling the transmission. I think the original fill might have been ATF but don't hold me to that.

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:15 pm

siai47 wrote:I think the original fill might have been ATF but don't hold me to that.
Pretty sure I read that somewhere too. Unless you live in a really cold climate though, 10W30 motor oil would be a better choice - ATF isn't a great lubricant

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

mdbuilder

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:51 am

Anyone bother to read the attachment? :P

Brand name: Mitsubishi genuine Dia-Queen ATF SP III
Filling amount: 0.75 L
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

sventchik

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 am

you're right mdbuilder..... but my question was more to find an equivalent for that expensive & rare Mitsubishi oil....

Here in Europe, it's almost impossible to find it, and if, then it's a 4 liter bottle..... when you need just 1 small liter...

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:04 am

sventchik wrote:you're right mdbuilder..... but my question was more to find an equivalent for that expensive & rare Mitsubishi oil....
svenchik, you're right - at first, I thought, "no problem", let Google do the looking. After unsuccessfully querying many of the major brands for an equivalent, I'm coming to realize that we indeed have a rare (and wonderful) little car, as most of the major brands don't even offer the i-MiEV as a search option. Castrol actually had the i-MiEV listed, but showed nothing... perhaps directly approaching a major brand with a query as to what they carry as an equivalent for the Mitsubishi genuine Dia-Queen ATF SP III?

More searching showed we are not alone, with discussions and suggested solutions on a thread identical to ours:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/522363-diamond-atf-sp-iii-equivalent.html
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:48 am

Any Standard Pressure (i.e. not intended for Extreme Pressure) mineral oil based ATF with class III viscosity would work fine, e.g. Mercon III, or for example

Valvoline maxlife ATF,

Suitable!for!use!in:!!
Ford!MERCON®,!MERCON®V,!MERCON®SP!and!MERCON®LV!applications!
GM!DEXRON®@II,!DEXRON®@III!and!DEXRON®@VI!applications!
Nissan/Infiniti!Matic!D,!Matic!J,!Matic!K,!and!Matic!S!applications!
Mitsubishi!Diamond!SP@II!and!SP@III!applications!
Hyundai/!KIA!SP@II,!SP@III,!SP@IV!and!SPH@IV!applications!!
Subaru!ATF!and!ATF@HP!applications!
Toyota/Lexus!Type!T,!T@III,!T@IV!and!WS!
Honda/Acura!ATF@Z1!(except!in!CVTs)!applications!
Allison!C4!and!TES@389!applications!
Mercedes!Benz!NAG1!applications!
Volvo!passenger!car!applications!and!STD!1273.41!
Volkswagen!TL5216
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

GRynners

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Funnily enough, I just completed this myself on our Citroen C-Zero at about 18,500 miles. In the UK, we have a retailer called Halfords and it cost me £9.99 for 1 litre of ATF SP III specification gearbox oil (ATF is automatic transmission fluid). I spent a couple of pounds on a syringe to refill the gearbox. The box is certainly smoother on take up and it was very easy to complete. I had noticed the box was a little jerky on take up recently. Previous posters are correct, there is no magnet on the sump plug, but I changed the oil after a 30 mile trip and I can't see any signs of metal dwarf. The original gearbox oil was black, but smelt fine.

An easy maintenance action, and as it takes so little oil, it is easy to catch. Am certainly happier knowing it has been done!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:12 am

GRynners wrote:... it cost me £9.99 for 1 litre of ATF SP III specification gearbox oil (ATF is automatic transmission fluid) I spent a couple of pounds on a syringe to refill the gearbox. The box is certainly smoother on take up and it was very easy to complete. I had noticed the box was a little jerky on take up recently...
I'm confused: GRynners, are you saying that there was some slop in the geartrain that is now dampened after the oil change, or is there a different meaning to "a little jerky on take up"? Anyone else do the gearbox oil change and notice any difference?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “General Technical Discussions”