i-MiEV A/C ticking sound

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only when A/C is on, is this normal?
Check out this video, the ticking varies in speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8G4zNSZqvM

I was just pre-cooling our iMiev yesterday, and noticed something similar, it almost sounds like a fan that's just gone out of balance a little. But, it could just be "normal", not sure.

Yes, sounds like there's a small petrol engine in there lol! ;) And yes, it is a Euro-spec i-MiEV.
Called the dealer today, the i-MIEV is scheduled for a brake system vacuum pump replacement in about two weeks so they'll check the A/C at the same time.

My new (though a 5/12 build) SE Premium has a similar issue. :? The air conditioning compressor is louder than the one in my ES was, and also noisier than the compressor in LeeC's ES with CHAdeMO. During full air conditioning use it has an audible piston compressor sound (about as loud as the vacuum pump in a Focus EV, not quite as loud as the vacuum pump in a Volt). It also seems to be on a VFD or some sort of stepped pwm controller. When I did my first CHAdeMO charge last night, the compressor frequently cycled up and down, through perhaps 5 power increments, and much louder than for regular air conditioning use. It still wasn't quite as loud as your video made it seem, more of a lower-pitched drumming sound.
- btw, I also have noticed that it appears to have a different vacuum pump, though my 10/11-built ES was not subject to the recall.
- I have not finished reviewing all documentation proving that the recalls have been addressed on this car.

Back