Plankton

How to install after market stereo in ES

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 am

I finally got my double din stereo installed and thought I'd share how I did it for those who are interested.

======================================================================================

Remove the bezel that's above the factory radio

There are 2 clips holding it in place, just get your fingers under the edge and pop it off.

======================================================================================

There are 2 screws securing the factory radio.

The picture below is from above the radio, through the windshield. Remove the 2 screws that are circled.

There are 4 clips holding the radio in place. Two at the top and two at the bottom. Start at the top and get your fingers behind the radio on each side like below (i only show one hand) and pop it off the clips.

Then do the same to the bottom:

The radio should come free from the dash now. On the back of the stereo unclip the wire harness and pull the antenna wire out.

Remove the mounting bracket on each side of the stereo. You'll need these to mount your new stereo

For my installation I had to flatten the tabs on the mounting brackets (with a hammer) so they would fit flush with my new stereo.

This is the new stereo with the mounting bracket installed

I purchased a Metra 70-7001 Radio Wiring Harness from amazon to connect the new stereo without cutting any wires.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BG6DM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The Wiring Harness did not have a ground wire so you can use one of two screws in the dash to ground to. See below:

Connect your wires using the wiring harness and mount your new stereo the same way the original was mounted.

I purchased the double din panel for the SE from Mitsubishi. Part number: 8002A116HC. This is for the silver one, they have a black one as well but I dont have the part number. It was $120 from the dealer, I purchased from http://www.RicartParts.com for $87.50 plus shipping. Was a perfect fit, no modifications needed. Pics below:

Finished product:

Last edited by Plankton on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jray3

Re: How to install after market stereo in ES

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 am

Excellent writeup and photos- thanks! 8-)
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 96,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 am

Plankton, thank you for the excellent photos and writeup and links for the hardware. Well done! :D
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

jennrod12

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Awesome instructions, thanks!

Jenn
2012 Diamond White i-MiEV ES
with green racing stripes and hubcaps (thanks to WeeJohn)
Santa Clara, CA

Don
Site Moderator

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:01 am

I agree. Thank you so much!

You've provided many people here with everything they'll need to do a complete. professional upgrade. Sharing well documented articles like the one you've written are one reason why forums like this one are so valuable

All together, what did the upgrade cost you?

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Plankton

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for all the feedback!

The Panel was $87.50 + $9.95 shipping, the wiring harness was $5.07 + free shipping from amazon.

So $102.52 not including the stereo which I pulled out of the car we replaced with the iMiev.

If anyone is interested the stereo is a Clarion CX501.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KVLB9E/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i02

danpatgal

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Great information - thank you!

Did you do anything about speakers in the back - or do you just have the front speakers as delivered on the ES?

Dan

NeilBlanchard

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Dan asks the same question I have -- has anyone put in rear speakers? The $64 question is -- is there speaker wiring in place? And what size/shape are they?
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Plankton

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:17 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Dan asks the same question I have -- has anyone put in rear speakers? The $64 question is -- is there speaker wiring in place? And what size/shape are they?

I confirmed the rear speaker wires are there. See picture below, I did a continuity test from the stereo harness to the clip below and confirmed it.

tonymil

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm

OK then, does that mean that folks without rear speakers should put their faders on full front so that no juice is directed to the rear wiring?

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”