Electric lawn Mowers - who uses them ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tigger19687 said:
I am going to guess that there are a few of you that use the Electric lawn mowers !??

What do you all use ?
I have about 1/3 acre of grass to mow and I use the 56V Lithium EGO mower I purchased at Home Depot. I am starting my second season with the EGO mower and it has worked well. The removable battery charges in 30 minutes. The EGO battery charger automatically reduces the battery charge to 30% after it sits for more than 30 days. I also take care to charge the battery at room temperature.
I have had other electric lawn mowers before this one, but the EGO is the best yet.
I also have various other electric yard tools, including a chain saw, edger and string trimmer.
Since I do not own any gas powered yard equipment I don't need to bother with gasoline or gas cans.
The EPA estimates that 5% of all air pollution is caused by gas powered yard equipment.
Gas powered yard tools have no pollution controls and their exhaust is in close proximity during use. The exhaust fumes gas powered yard tools emit contain many pollutants including known carcinogens.

Here's a couple picture of my first lithium battery mower that I made four years ago using a lead acid battery mower and lithium tool batteries.

3ESpuHdl.jpg

AXgp9HKl.jpg

Just placed a hold on a Craftsman 20" cut, 40 volt mower. Supposedly it includes two batteries and a charger for $400. I'm picking it up tonight after work. My buddy just got a similar machine, but Echo brand (though not actually available from Echo :| . Some deal with Home Depot). He's only used it once or twice, but says it cuts nice. The battery lasts for 20 minutes, which seems par for the course for cordless mowers.

http://www.sears.com/black-decker-40v-20inch-lithium-mower/p-07198820000P

Craftsman-40V-650x559.jpg

Picked up the mower. It has two batteries, each 40 volts and 90 Wh. It's quite light, has two built-in handles to pick it up (red one on top and one on the front), and all four wheel heights adjust with one handle.

Put it together easily without any tools. I'll have to wait a couple of days before I get to use it due to rain, but I'm not complaining. It saves me from having to water freshly planted grass around my solar array (finally got around to landscaping).

I bought the Craftsman in hopes that the battery for the mower would be the same as our 40 volt chainsaw and leafblower, but of course they are different :roll: . These batteries are smaller, contain more energy and are used in an entirely new line of tools.

Here's a folder with some pictures. I also have a comparison between our 40 Volt 2014 batteries and the 40 volt 2015 batteries. The left one is older and contains 73 Wh, and the right one came with the mower at 90 Wh. While we may not be seeing immediate battery improvements in EVs, they definitely show when you look at the progression of power tool batteries. For about the same weight (newer one is slightly heavier) and less space, the newer battery contains more energy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ybawqpzd0jjgmdo/AAC-ThgzZ57o-kYAVHVAkzHsa?dl=0

Of course, if I would've done a little more research, I would've found that this mower uses the same batteries as the other 40 volt tools we have :evil: . Oh, well :roll: .

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-40-volt-dual-blade-rear-discharge-electric/p-07198818000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

I'd rather have side-discharge anyway.

Got mine two years ago when my plug-in electric stopped working. I have a small yard that takes 30 minutes to cut so my power needs are not that demanding. Also, did not like to drag a long electric cord around as I have an in-ground pool to maneuver around.

I also had some extra lead acid batteries and a DIY 60 watt solar panel that I had made a few years back. I mounted the solar panel on the side of the garage, not caring of angle, to charge these batteries. Now I re-charge the electric mower using sun power. NO need for a Jerry can and is fully charged when I begin yard work. Use the same charging system for my battery power weed whacker as well. Find it funny when my neighbours are always fixing their lawn mower, getting gas and thinking their mower is better as it has more power. Wish people would see how brain wash they are about ICE engine and see there is a better way that is both better for their pocket book as well as for the environment.

Dave

Don't you know, it's not actual work if you're not spending a lot of money on fuel, breaking your arm trying to start the thing, and killing yourself to push a 90 pound hunk of steel up a hill. :lol:

I plan on using my eBike's solar trailer to charge the batteries for the mower, at least until I get around to getting my off-grid solar system working again (had a bit of a meltdown this Spring. Never buy a cheap charge controller. That $20 box ended up costing me over $200 in batteries :twisted: ).

PV1 said:
Never buy a cheap charge controller. That $20 box ended up costing me over $200 in batteries :twisted: ).

I recommend Morningstar highly. Never had a failure or problem with hundreds of units installed. No I don't work for Morningstar :D

Aerowhatt

dniemeyer99 said:
Find it funny when my neighbours are always fixing their lawn mower, getting gas and thinking their mower is better as it has more power. Wish people would see how brain wash they are about ICE engine and see there is a better way that is both better for their pocket book as well as for the environment.Dave

I like to loan out my cordless electric when my neighbor has a problem. By the next season I won't have to listen to, or smell his gas mower anymore. Invariably they have converted once they have had a taste of cleaner, quieter, easier. I like more than anything not having to find someplace to store a gasoline can!

Aerowhatt

PV1 Nice looking machine ! Will be waiting to see how it does on your lawn.

Aerowhatt, you know that is a great idea.
I should do that for my neighbor but mine is still the old one. I did not get a new one yet. I still have to get a new blade, might cut a little better. but you be honest I don't care. I rent. So long as it looks cut that works.
I have Clover over a good portion of the front lawn. And the back will get torn up again due to sewer lines at some point.

Thanks. The wheels don't seem to have ball bearings, but I didn't look.

Didn't get to really test it since the yard was mowed on Saturday, but it seemed to cut nice. The battery was quite warm when I was done, but I was doing some heavy mowing (path through the hayfield, recently mowed, but high for a lawn mower).

Thanks to all that have posted on this topic. I have been considering an electric mower and the posts here have been most informative. With models ranging from 24 to 80 volts there is a lot to consider. The warranty issue on batteries and the mower can be quite compelling when considering which model to purchase.

Archie

Uploaded some more pictures of the mower to my Dropbox link in a previous post.

I know what you're probably thinking, and no, that isn't the yard I was planning to use this mower on. That is our front yard and is reserved to the Kubota diesel mower. The electric is going to be used around my solar array and for edging.

Got to do some real mowing (in between thunderstorms), and I'm impressed.

It is the same or easier to push than my Pap's self-propelled gas mower. I didn't have to stop and take a breather.

I got about 20 minutes per battery, cutting to the number 2 height (2 inches?). The grass was slightly wet and higher than we normally let it. Between both batteries, I mowed nearly half an acre.

For what I bought it for, it definitely will meet the requirements.

20 min is not good in my opinion. I was thinking, or thought it was suppose to do about 40 min with both batteries?

Each battery gave me 20 minutes of runtime, for a total runtime of 40 minutes before having to stop mowing completely while a battery finishes charging. I do have to manually stop and swap batteries, but the mower is molded so that adding the connector to make both batteries work at the same time seems like an easy mod.

Ah, sorry I miss-read what you wrote.
I have to go get a battery and blade still for my Neutron... procrastination, because it still cuts the lawn and I don't care what the lawn looks like so long as it is cut (rental).
I miss owning my own home and being able to do what I want to it . Like have a Nice lawn, Nice fence ....

Well the Neuton mower battery finally died this evening.
Ran to Lowes to get the older model 40v Kobalt.
Was on sale for $299,
this one .. http://www.lowes.com/pd_632478-95404-KM1940-07_1z0weyr__?productId=50352224&pl=1

Took the display as it was the last in the store. I asked if they would take some $$ off... it has all the stuff, just no outer box.

$15 off ... so, basically they paid ME $15 to throw my box away for me ;)

Got home, plugged it in and after about 15 min it had 2 bars on the battery so I did a little mowing (5 short strips just to make sure).
I like it.

Only thing I see is that the cord was a little crimped. Hopefully it will not have an issue. Will let you know how it is tomorrow after I do the yard.

Cut my lawn a couple of times with the Lowes Kobalt model 40-Volt Max Lithium Ion 19-in Deck Width Cordless Electric. Very happy with the mower. I have two additional 2AH batteries along with the 5AH battery that came with the mower. I just swap batteries when they need charging. 2.5 hours to charge the 5AH battery, 1 hour to charge the 2AH battery. I set the height of the mower deck to #4.

Cacti

Back