Three electric cars

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwatson

Well gang, Couldn't resist! Just got another i-Miev.

It started with the used 2011 Chevy Volt I got in 2012 (3300 miles on the odometer). After years of desire to own an electric car, my first one did not disappoint. The Volt can haul me 11 miles to work each day and 11 miles home without ever using a drop of gas, yet whenever called upon for longer distance travel, It can seamlessly transition to a 40 mpg gasoline car. Since I can go months without ever having the engine startup my lifetime mpg is 157. Just last year my employer installed two parking spaces dedicated for Electric car parking and they installed 2 level 1 (120 volt) electrical outlets. My work shift is 9 and a half hours long so even at level 1 it's fine for getting a full recharge. Most of the time it's just a commuter car, but I've taken it on several out-of-town trips. It's been to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky, Southern Mississippi, Union City Tennessee, several trips to Nashville and two trips to middle and northern Arkansas.

A year ago this month I found a used Silver Mitsubishi i-Miev ES with quick charge on a local Chevy dealer's lot. The previous owner had traded it for a Volt and the car had been sitting on their lot for 8 months. The dealership originally was asking $15,000 dollars for it, but had dropped the price to $14,000 then $13000 then $12000. With no interest in the car, they were clueless as to how to sell it. My son thought I was nuts for even considering what he called a "clown car". In my mind I knew that if my Volt could serve my needs 95% of the time using only electricity, that my wife could make it in the i-Miev with it's longer range and since my wife drives less than I do. She's a house wife and all her trips are short! She goes to the grocery store and to the doctor, to the nail salon, to Church, to my Mom' house, to her parents house. When I explained my plan to her she fought me pretty hard. She was convinced that the little electric car with the limited range just wouldn't work for her. Sure I'd love to get her a Volt too, but I felt the i-Miev could be acquired for a great price and it would suit her needs perfectly. The only job it couldn't do was make a trip to Nashville for her to visit her aunt. Simple solution, for those occasional trips we'll just trade cars! She can take the Volt to Nashville, and I can take her i-Miev to work while she's gone. I offered the salesman $10,500 for the car with the condition that we were allowed to try it for three days. After three days driving it, we couldn't get my wife out of it. She was allowed to keep it for the rest of the week while all the financing arrangements were settled.

Since buying the I-Miev I've been keeping a close eye on used I-Miev's all over the country, just in case someone in our circle of influence wants one. Meanwhile I finally convinced my 19 year old daughter to get her learner's permit. She graduated High School in the spring and is enrolled in a local community college, she also got a job. She's learning to drive in the Volt and the I-Miev. She likes them both but is most comfortable in the I-Miev. She's quite uncomfortable when she drives larger cars. Her dream car is a Chevy Camaro, but she'll just have to go on dreaming because there's no way I can afford a Camaro. Ever since I bought my wife's I-Miev I've been learning more about it and have regretted not getting a SE Premium model with the higher end NAV stereo system, allow wheels, fog lights, back-up camera and such. Lo and behold while searching I found a Raspberry 2012 SE Premium in Pennsylvania with 7500 miles and the asking price was $6932 (Actually I got it for $6432). WOW! as a close friend said....that's a "No Brainer" It's no Camaro, but my little college student daughter has a car for $139 dollars a month and daddy's going to buy the fuel for it! It cost me $550 to have it shipped from Pennsylvania to Tennessee. She won't admit it but there's nothing but smile from ear to ear as she drives her little I-Miev down the street.

A lot of folks think I’m crazy (Including JoeS with three I-mievs all the same color!)
I'd say were bucking the trend here in Memphis, Tennessee. We sure do have a lot of unused Kroger fuel points.

XnW4wjKD1OJ-pAIQUJmFkeN1TsuYi-hm_uoHBKNnfs4=w844-h633-no

...Did you hear? "the Watson’s have Three Electric cars, A Volt and two I-Miev's". Life's Good!

Congrats!

I've always thought a Volt and a iMiEV made excellent stablemates - For 99% of families, that pair covers just about everything

Don

Back