Affordable Home Charging Stations?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjoel

So far, I have my eyes on the Lectron V-Box. It can be plugged directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet so I won't have to worry about installation costs. Has anyone here tried it out?
https://ev-lectron.com/collections/v-box

I haven't tried it, but it looks similar in price and specs to many others.

The thing to remember -- unless you're future-proofing*, and if you're only planning to charge an i-MiEV -- is that the i-MiEV will only draw 13.75 amps, max. So, if you bought that 48-amp EVSE, you'd be paying for a lot of capacity you couldn't use. There are 16-amp EVSEs available for under $200, so you might consider those.

* And if you are future-proofing, well... I can only tell you that I ran through two 40-amp EVSEs before I got to the 16-amp one, all in the time I've (only) had my i-MiEV. (One of them, I think, was taken out by lightning. I'm not sure why the other died.)

Sadly, this thread was started by someone merely trying to advertise this Lectron product. I've been notified that this spammer has posted the link across several other EV forum sites.

wmcbrine's response above is spot-on, and I agree that this product is overkill and IMO too expensive for our i-MiEVs.

I've elected to leave this topic alone, as maybe others are aware of some seriously-inexpensive EVSEs out there, and we haven't visited this subject recently on this forum.

Nowadays, in North America the NEMA 14-50 connector has become pretty much the standard for EV charging. The OP didn't mention the installation costs of providing such an outlet in one's garage. :twisted:

My own preference has been for portable EVSEs that are dual voltage (120vac and 240vac) with adjustable current. Over the years I've come across situations whereby I needed to reduce the current drawn by the car because the voltage source had inadequate ampacity (e.g., old houses and campgrounds) - stretching the traditional definition of ampacity to include the condition of the outlet and circuit breaker. :geek:

I recently purchased this EVSE for my Hyundai Kona which operates only on 240vac for $180 (the OEM 120vac unit is in the car also) -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1QCJ74C
I fired it up to see if it works (it did) and put it into the trunk along with a bunch of common adapters, but haven't seriously used it yet so can't comment as to its quality.

Not to totally disparage the Lectron brand - after recently giving away my older Tesla-to-J1772 charging adapter to my brother-in-law to use on his Bolt, I paid $160 for this Lectron adapter and really like it, especially as it also has a trigger latch for the Tesla side of the connector. I use it regularly on my Kona with my Tesla HPWC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DCTJCTV
Edit: cheaper here:
https://ev-lectron.com/collections/...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black

There is a company in California which I believe holds the rights to the name "Tesla Tap" and their Tesla to J1772 connectors are made of machined Delrin (Polyoxymethylene) which is a space age thermoplastic known for it's exceptional dimensional stability. The connector is CNC machined and not molded

I've had my Tesla Tap for more than a year and have used it at many Tesla Destination chargers which can sometimes put out up to 16Kw. My VW ID.4 uses 11Kw (48amps) and it's been my experience that when used for more than an hour or so, the Tesla handle on most Destination Chargers gets quite warm. The Delrin socket seems to handle this with ease and it's always easy to unplug when fully charged

Nearly everything that Lectron used to market in this area was originally rated for only 40 amps and a few . . . . cheapskates, on the ID.4 forum were using those 40 amp rated products to charge their cars - It could be safe . . . Many Destination Chargers are limited to only 32 amps, but you don't know for sure until you plug into one. Word was, it's not safe to use the Lectron products for 48 amps, but now they're selling their molded plastic connectors and rating them for 48 amps because several newer cars now come with 11Kw onboard chargers. Would I buy one? Hint, I only paid $175 for my genuine Tesla Tap with the machined connector. Buyer beware!

Back