How to Calculating on-board chargers efficiency

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaron1

A good on- board charger is known to increase the life of the battery. In this article I’ll display you ways smooth it’s to estimate the on-board charger performance of an electric car with the aid of the use of WLTP rankings.

I’ll use WLTP rankings in this newsletter, but you may additionally use EPA or NEDC ratings, considering the fact that they also degree plug-to-wheels intake, because of this they include charging losses.
It’s vital to word that for measuring the consumption the charging changed into made by means of the use of a home socket at low modern (10 A) and some on-board chargers aren't very efficient at low currents.

Let’s start with some of Europe’s most popular electric cars.

Renault ZOE
Range: 395 km
Consumption: 17,2 kWh/100 km (with charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 52 kWh

Renault ZOE
Range: 395 km
Consumption: 17,2 kWh/100 km (with charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 52 kWh

First we start by calculating the consumption without charging loses.
395 km – 52 kWh
100 km – X
X = 52 x 100 ÷ 395 = 13,164556962 kWh/100 km

Now if we divide that wide variety with 17,2 kWh/100 km we’ll get the on-board charger performance.

Y = 13,164556962 ÷ 17,2 = 0,765381218722 = 77 %

It’s no secret that Renault’s Chameleon on-board charger isn't very green at low currents. However, Renault does appear to have made its on-board charger greater efficient in the new technology of the ZOE. Previously, the charging efficiency of the R90 fashions at 10 A become envisioned at 71 %.

Now that you realize the steps required to calculate the performance of an on-board charger, in subsequent examples I’ll simply display you the very last results.
https://www.tiechengcharger.com/collections/tccharger-all-products

Dacia Spring Electric
Range: 225 km
Consumption: 14 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 11,9 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 26,8 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 85 %

Renault Twingo ZE
Range: 190 km
Consumption: 16 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 11,2 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 21,3 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 70 %

Peugeot e-208
Range: 340 km
Consumption: 17,6 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 13,5 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 46 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 77 %

Volkswagen ID.3 Pro S
Range: 549 km
Consumption: 15,9 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 14 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 77 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 88 %

Volkswagen e-up
Range: 260 km
Consumption: 14,4 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 12,4 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 32,3 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 86 %

Kia e-Niro
Range: 455 km
Consumption: 15,9 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 14,1 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 64 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 88 %

Kia e-Soul
Range: 452 km
Consumption: 15,7 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 14,2 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
On-board charger efficiency: 90 %

Nissan LEAF
Range: 270 km
Consumption: 17,1 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 13,3 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 36 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 78 %

Previously the Kia e-Niro was homologated with a WLTP variety of 485 km, but Kia revised the score in December 2018 and dropped it to 455 km. This change makes the on-charger efficiency estimation less reliable, because the e-Soul and e-Niro should have the same on-board charger, but we get different estimations.

Tesla Model 3 LR
Range: 580 km
Consumption: 16 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 12,6 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 73 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 79 %

Hyundai IONIQ Electric
Range: 311 km
Consumption: 13,8 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 12,3 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
Usable battery capacity: 38,3 kWh
On-board charger efficiency: 89 %

Hyundai Kona Electric
Range: 482 km
Consumption: 14,7 kWh/100 km (with charging loses) – 13,3 kWh/100 km (without charging loses)
On-board charger efficiency: 90 %
Summing up…
On-board charger efficiency estimations
Hyundai Kona Electric: 90 %
Kia e-Soul: 90 %
Hyundai IONIQ Electric: 89 %
Kia e-Niro: 88 %
Volkswagen ID.3 Pro S: 88 %
Volkswagen e-up: 86 %
Dacia Spring Electric: 85 %
Tesla Model 3 LR: 79 %
Nissan LEAF: 78 %
Peugeot e-208: 77 %
Renault ZOE: 77 %
Renault Twingo ZE: 70 %

Anyway, remember the fact that those estimations are for worst-case eventualities, by way of charging with home sockets at low cutting-edge (10 A). In case you price at higher currents you can gain higher efficiency figures, mainly in case your electric automobile is a Renault.
If you can price your electric powered automobile at 32 A, do it. In recent times, a good on-board charger OBC with adjustable contemporary isn't always that costly.

Macaron1, a nice piece of superfluous information that does not include the i-MiEV nor triplets, leading into the link for on-board-chargers that you're hawking.

Normally I would classify this as spam and say goodbye; however, these products might actually be of interest to many on this forum IF you can provide a scheme for integrating your products into our canbus-controlled cars.

The i-MiEV's OEM OBC provides both the HV charger 360v max charging and the dc-dc to charge the 12v battery, utilizing a variety of ac inputs (in the US, it's J1772). I, for one, wouldn't mind replacing my OBC with a reliable higher-power unit (your 2-in-1) or a separate HV charger and dc-dc converter.

So, a challenge to you: have someone figure out how to easily integrate your product(s) into the i-MiEV triplets, perhaps provide us with a kit, and you may well establish a new sales stream.

Back