Starter battery change

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbest

12 V starter battery change is easy on most cars but i-MiEV is different. My MiEV did not start, I found that the starter battery had only 6 volt. I bought a starter battery with exactly the same size and capacity, tried to install it in place of the old battery, but did not succeed. I could not get it in the right place. It was impossible to put the cover on the battery properly.

Is a special trick or tool needed to change the starter battery?

Howdy and welcome to the forum,

One trick is to remove the plastic clips that are rigidly holding the positive terminal and cable. That big bundle with lots of sharp edges will be fighting you the entire time, mush easier to just move it out of your way.

Compare the new and old battery side by side to ensure they are the same physical size and terminal orientation.

The black plastic bottom tray can be removed for cleaning and then moved as necessary to get the battery over the lip, then slide the tray with battery back into position. Hold the tray to the bottom of battery if necessary.

The battery must be tilted forward an extreme angle to clear the top of the radiator just to get it into the compartment.

Loosen the nut on the j-hook of the battery hold down, then fish it down into the back slot.

The black plastic battery cover can probably be fitted back with some twiddling, but i leave mine off so i can check and charge the battery quickly and easily if needed.

Back