I-Miev does not blow hot while driving.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsum

The car does not blow hot while driving. I've tried different button layouts. The hoses are completely cold to the touch. The remaining mileage will change when turned warm, but the battery capacity will not change. When the car is in the charger, the car becomes warm when preheating from the remote control.

Howdy mitsum, and welcome to the forum.

That is quite a puzzling situation. The good news is that your PTC heater is ok and functional as that can be expensive to replace.

The car uses a different control function for the heater during charging than when in READY, as you have discovered. It is all done using the CAN buss for communications to send the command to the heater or A/C compressor. During READY mode the dash knobs send signals that are interpreted and converted to CAN commands. When charging, the remote overrides any of the last settings that you may have dialed in from the dash control knobs.

It may be that the dash control knob unit has a loose wire or connection; have you done any mods or wiring in that area that may have knocked something loose? Does the A/C function okay from the dash knobs? i might want to rule out any connector issues first before buying a replacement dash control unit.

A / C is operating normally. The fan changes speed and different areas are blowing air as well.

i looked up FSM info for a 2012 model here, Factory Service Manual

The Factory Service Manual indicates that there are trouble codes (DTCs) for the A/C and Heater systems, although there will not be a warning light on the dash. So reading the DTCs thru the OBDII connector would be a good start to determine the issue, e.g. Dealer MUT-3 tool, OBDII scantool, etc.

There are DTC code charts for both the controller (dash knob controller assembly) and the ECU (located under the rear seat).

Also there is a troubleshooting guide for poor performance of the Heater,

Possible Causes:
Damaged harness wires and connectors
User’s incorrect operation
Limitation due to main battery remaining capacity
Insufficient volume of water heater fluid
Malfunction of the A/C-ECU [under rear seat]
Malfunction of A/C & Heater control unit [dash knob assembly]

There is a service bulletin with some corrections that has the power circuit diagrams,
http://mmc-manuals.ru/msb/BASE/003/2012/MSB-12E55-501A/E/MSB-12E55-501A.pdf

My first guess is that there may be 2 different circuits for powering up the controller assembly depending upon the mode, e.g. READY or Charging/Remote, so verify the fuses and relays for the heater section to rule out a power issue. Then ring out the low voltage control harnesses for rodent damage, corrosion, broken wires or connectors, etc.

power circuit diagram showing connectors and wire colors,
td9nrwX.png

Back