2014 goin in for a New Battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spchinch

Hi everyone,

I have been watching this forum for years :) and now I am glad to post an update for everyone.

I have a blue 2014 imiev with 50,000 miles, current battery only holds about 45 miles. I took it to the dealer to see if they could change it under warranty but it was a no go since it appears its normal battery degradation. So my little blue car is getting a new battery $5,900 plus install.

Once they receive the battery and they install it I will post an update.

Beside price, what do you want to know?

By the way, its very difficult to find what other have paid for a replacement battery! Have yet to find it...so I thought I would post.

Thanks
Chris

Is there a warranty on the new battery and, if so, what is it?

What cells are being installed? 50N?

Anything else being upgraded or swapped?

spchinch, thank you for posting. Yes, owners paying for a replacement pack is a rarity.

Labor $$ to install the new battery? Shop labor rate?

Will they let you keep the existing battery or are they giving you a trade-in value?

Did they give you an ampere-hour readout of your existing battery?

Surprised, because your 2014 has the LEV50N

Are you the original owner and what has been your charging regimen?

Whereabouts are you located - severe winters or summers?
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196

Do let us know how the new battery performs in terms of improving your RR.

I am very interested in this thread.

I have the same range on my I-miev (2012) and I've called 2 dealers the DFW area (TX) and both told me $15K+ to replace. -with $13K of that being the battery cost alone.

Judging by this thread, the price has not come down in 10 years http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1432

Any chance you can post an itemized repair bill with costs? I would love to see part numbers etc, just in case the local dealers aren't using the right information.

Thank you so much!

Congrats and yes, that seems a reasonable price for a new battery. The job should only take 3 hours in a proper shop, though I'd bet they charge 5. It took half a day on jackstands in my driveway!

Hi everyone,

so 2 bad things to report 1 for me and 1 for everyone :(

the dealer quoted me $5,000 for the battery and had actually charged me. I get a call from the dealer, battery arrived, so I drive 30 miles to the dealer was given a copy of the invoice.
i asked to see the battery and they show me a box the size of cereal...hmmmm

They had actually bought the BMU...Battery Management unit not the battery...I got a refund, and the cost of the real drive battery is $13,500 plus tax ...plus labor, so around $15,000...for a car that is worth $5,000.

So bad for me and for everyone since I dont any good news to share, I didn't replace the battery...going back to reaching out to the guy in Australia (Oz Electric Vehicles)...

So, should I say that very few if any had any luck replacing/upgrading their battery?

Thanks and sorry for the bad update..
Chris

Well that’s not the desired outcome, sorry to hear about your troubles!

It’s crazy to think the cost of the battery hasn’t come down in 10 years.

Let’s us know if you get to work with the oz folks.

I had more success. My 2012 stopped charging to full and was losing another bar a week. Trailered it to Schaumburg Mitsubishi and after a bunch of diagnostics they replaced the on board charger, then finally the battery. I had the Mitsubishi diamond protection plan for the original owner transferred to me when I bought it and warranty covered 100% of the $17,900 bill.

And then my wife washed by remote...

And then my wife washed my remote...]
:lol: Well Dr. Sheep, if she's a good wife she probably proclaimed it your fault and made you feel sheepish about not cleaning out your pockets!

My parts car didn't come with a remote, but if you do find a replacement, the reprogramming procedure posted here should work, it just may take a few tries.

Back