Failures after fast charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZita

Hello everyone!
I own a Mitsubishi iMiev from 2012.
I had the following problem after fast charging on DC from approx. 20% to 70%.
I was charging the car with about 18KW on fast charger and about halfway, a ! sign strated to light, charging paused for a moment, then continued.
After this, the car is in "turtle mode" and doensn't seem to accelarate well. It can't go higher than ECO mode.
The failure codes are the following:
P1A44
P1A45
P1A46
U116B

Can anyone suggest a possible way to start to solve this problem? Where should I look?
Had anyone had the same problem before?

Thanks for your help!

Howdy and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your troubles.

The P codes are related to the Pack Ground Isolation and Fault Sensor, and the U code says that the CAN buss line from the DCQC (fast dc charger) timed out on the charger side.

The first thing to check/verify is that your 12V starter battery is full and strong. An old, weak or worn out starter battery can cause faults such as this, especially CAN buss faults. If the car hasn't been driven much or the starter hasn't been kept fully charged, then this is the likely fault.

Troubleshooting for the P codes involves first verifying that the CAN buss is fully operational, then probing into the connectors and wiring related to the components involved in the Ground Fault Detection.

The FSM gives information on troubleshooting the DTCs. For the P codes here i found these
PROBABLE CAUSES:
Ground fault of high voltage system component.

The quick charging contactor (+) or the quick charging contactor (-) is stuck in ON.

The main battery ground fault detector is failed.

Open circuits of main battery ground fault detector circuit, short circuits to earth, short circuits to power supply system or damage; poor contact of connector.

The BMU is failed.

Also found a Service Bulletin that updated the procedure of the FSM.

i would disconnect the starter battery and remove it from the car, then take measurements of voltage and do a high current load test, then fully charge or replace it as indicated. Be sure to fully charge any new starter battery if purchased, just because it's new doesn't mean its fully charged. Re-install and see if the codes are no longer active.

If the codes remain, then all the connectors and wiring related to the DCQC and Leak Detection need to be inspected and cleaned, then disconnect the starter (-) terminal for awhile, then reconnect and try again. If codes remain then it may be a real problem as listed in the probable causes. Good Luck to you.

Link to pdf of Service Bulletin: P1A46 Service

Wow! Thanks for all of the information and advice!
Could you maybe provide illustration where I can find all these circles?

May it result that a day later the AC charger didn't funcion as well?

Can it be in connection with a recall nr. R30286?

What is the age and condition and maintenance history of your 12V starter battery?

What is the open circuit voltage reading, and what is the voltage with a heavy load applied?

Test and verify the condition of the battery first, or take it to an auto shop that can do such testing, before digging into the circuits. This will save you lots of time and trouble when troubleshooting.

What is your knowledge, skill level and abilities at repairing cars and/or repairing electrical or electronics equipment? This would help to understand what level of detailed advice might be appropriate.

Back