Help with P1A15 error

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmk238

Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of some advice with regards to the seemingly common lament of the P1A15 error.

My mother bought a 2016 Ion in December. There was only one previous owner and the car has a full service history with a Peugeot dealer and only 15,000 on the clock. We brought it over from London to the Channel Islands for her.

In May the car wouldn’t go into ‘Ready Mode’ and was towed to our local Peugeot dealer. Their diagnostics gave the P1A15 error. They followed Peugeot’s TSB which led them to the water re-heater being the issue. Grudgingly, I paid £2,000 for this part to be replaced.

When my mother finally got the car back with the new part (it had to go to another island for this to be done), she drove it home only for it to not charge that night. It was sent back to the garage to be fixed (I am still trying to find out the details of what this issue was and how it was fixed) and she collected it that same day. Two days later, the car wouldn’t go into ready mode again. The mechanic came out and was able to clear the error, took the car away but they said they couldn’t replicate the error so gave it back to her without doing anything. Two days later, the car wouldn’t start and this time they ran diagnostics, sent the car off island again and said the problem was now the AC Compressor at a cost of £2,200.

I have now seen the technical report which states that this AC Compressor is the same problem, and fault code, as the first issue. I have no faith that another £2,200 is actually going to fix this car, it feels like there is an underlying problem that has been missed.

If there is anyone with similar experience who could offer some advice I would be hugely grateful. I am not technical myself but am reading as widely as I can to be knowledgeable about this problem.

Welcome to the forum, we feel your pain in dealing with a car that won't run.

The first thing is to check and verify that the 12V starter battery, a regular lead acid battery Type 151R, is good and strong. A weak, old, or worn out 12V auxiliary battery can cause a multitude of issues in an Electric Vehicle. If a car is not regularly driven, then the 12V does not get properly maintained at a full charge level. An external trickle charging device is useful to maintain full charge all the time.

The P1A15 seems to be caused, in most cases, by the degradation of a component on the voltage measurement circuit board located in the Motor Control Unit (MCU) in the rear engine compartment.

Some of the diagnostic steps may include disconnecting the heater, or AC compressor, but it sounds like they may be just guessing and replacing the expensive parts one at a time in hopes to cure the issue. That's what you do when you don't know what is causing the problem, but it is rough on the wallet. Maybe there has been moisture intrusion into the heater and compressor, and they need to be dried out or replace. It is difficult to say from here and requires eyes there on the parts.

Fortunately Justin (Boothegermanshepard) is over on your country and has repaired one car and working on a second. So maybe he will look in and have some advice. Looks like he beat me to it.

boothegermanshepherd said:
Hi,

The freeze frame data for that fault code relating to the battery voltage and condenser requires checking first,

post this for us to see please

Thanks Justin this is helpful. Can you let me know what I need to request exactly from the garage? Is this something they can print out for me?

In hope.

Hi

Exactly as my last post

TIIDD8y.jpg

This is from the live data, but I need these two items from the freeze frame data relating to the fault code :)

Thanks Kiev, that's hugely helpful. We're going to collect some more information and take this to the garage. Terrifying to think they're just guessing!!

boothegermanshepherd said:
Hi

Exactly as my last post

TIIDD8y.jpg

This is from the live data, but I need these two items from the freeze frame data relating to the fault code :)

Thanks very helpful. I'll request this from the garage tomorrow and will post as soon as I can.

A quick update from me: the garage spoke directly to Peugeot and they will be replacing the AC compressor as good will. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Although we are a bit worried it won't! Fingers crossed. This may take up to two weeks to order in part from France. I'll let everyone know in due course.

Justin, what's your take on this?

Does anyone know, for example, about warranty of new parts like this?

Too late now, but if it turns out it was water in the air conditioner compressor, we've had success in Australia (not me personally) fixing it without going to the dealership for repair:

https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7051&p=85898

If you're handy enough mechanically, it could have been fixed without shipping the car island to island and waiting for parts from France. Again, if water in the compressor is the issue; it's been seen multiple times.

Back