Clock spring for cruise control buttons in the steering wheel

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwahlgreen

Hey guys

I want to install cruise control in my car.
I bought a clock spring that does not full fill my needs.

So, which one to buy that fits?

I tried to follow parts of this instruction:
https://iserv.nl/files/pics/imiev/arduino/Steering wheel controls for the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.htm
(Without adding the Arduino!)

I have read this, http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2853 over and over. I did not get any smarter.

I found this, https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-clock-spring-8619a018, however the connector for the airbag is not the same.

I have the buttons installed in the steering wheel and I bought the AP400C, which I plan to install shortly.
Thread on Cruise Control, http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=384&hilit=cruise+control

Please can anyone help my quest for cruise control...

Did your car steering wheel have the radio buttons on the Left, and you added the Cruise Control buttons on the Right?

From your photos it appears that your clock spring was not populated for radio and CC. Maybe a US version of the CS from an SE would provide the moving side and you would need to get a connector and terminals to wire up the stationary side?

pulled the covers off and it appears that the 2012 USA version ClockSpring (CS) has 10 channels--on the stationary side 4 are dedicated to the SRS/airbag with a separate yellow connector and yellow wires. The remaining 6 go thru a white connector, but only 4 of those were populated:
pin 1, blue wire, this is the signal return (-) for the left thumb radio and phone buttons, designated REM-.
pin 2, no wire populated, but the CS pin connects to the cruise control switch connector on the right thumb.
pin 3, same as pin 2.
pin 4, gray wire, this is the button-Illumination power supply for the LEDs, designated Ill+
pin 5, green wire, this is the signal (+) for the left thumb radio and phone buttons, designated REM+
pin 6, white wire, is +12V all the time, routed to the Horn button.

On the moving side (steering wheel) of the CS, there are two 5-pin connectors, one carries the 4 SRS wires plus the Horn, the other has one wire for Illumination, a pair for the Radio/Phone, and a pair for the Cruise Control.

Thank you kiev for answering.

I had no buttons to begin with.

I would indeed need a US clock spring or a clock spring meant for one of the other car models of cars that fits with cruise control for it to work, however I do not know the part number for the clock spring WITH cruise control.

When the clock spring is mounted I will have to populate the stationary side myself, which I see as no hard obstacle, since I have the wiring for the cruise control and/or the radio control somewhere else in this forum.

Hey KIEV

Thanks for the update.

Yes I read the same thing.

But I am still lost on the part number.
Yes I properly buy one on ebay from the US, however that is even more expensive than ordering one from the factory. If I just had the part number I could do wonders.

Electrical parts for the miev usually have a part number beginning with "9499", e.g. 9499C641, but the clock spring has a different prefix.

Do you see any number such as that on your CS?

Can that white label be seen from underneath the dash, or how much must be removed to see it?

It seems this is it:
https://ingenext.ca/products/mitsubishi-i-miev-clock-spring-air-bag-sensor-8619a018

And that I need to make a modification to the connector for the airbag or buy some kind of wireharness to convert the connectors for the airbag.

Or I need another type of airbag

i found a diagram with part number here:

partsouq

So it's not a 9499 part. There is supposedly an aftermarket available from Pluto MCS103, but i couldn't find any details.

i would like to help but have very limited free time, and not likely able to dismantle the steering wheel anytime soon.

No North American model iMiEV came from the factory with cruise control nor with a steering wheel with buttons for cruse, did they? What makes you think that a clockspring from a USA iMiEV will work for you? I would *think* that what you really need is the clockspring from the Mitsubishi model that your steering wheel came from - That's where I would be searching for part numbers . . . . and then hoping that clockspring will fit into an iMiEV, which I would guess is probably a pretty safe bet. True, you might have to switch the plug to make your airbag work, but that's not a big deal, is it? I put a fancy steering wheel and airbag from an NB model Mazda Miata into my older NA Model Miata and I had to find an airbag plug to match the new airbag and and splice it into the clockspring, but that was no big deal . . . . at least I didn't think so. I never had an accident which would have set off the airbag in the many years I owned the car . . . . and I did tell the guy I sold it to what I had done to get the modern steering wheel and airbag installed in the car

"I found this, https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-clock-spring-8619a018, however the connector for the airbag is not the same." - I would think this is probably the one you want - Just cut the airbag connector off and splice on the one from your old clockspring???

Don

i just realized that the nissan laef has the radio and phone buttons on the left and the cruise control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel controls, so it has to have a clockspring that carries those signals. i think the chances are good that it might be able to work for you--definitely worth looking into this, there are lots of laefs in salvage yards.

mwahlgreen said:

Thread necromancy, but....

The clock spring you need is 8619-A017 - the one on the car is either this one (US models with CC and/or media controls) or 8619-A016 (horn only) - you can get it on Aliexpress for about US $10

8619-A018 looks almost identical but has an incompatible airbag connector

the other 8619-series modules aren't physically compatible

If you want to create a heated steering wheel (2amps required) you'll need to be prepared to do a lot of customisation but the good news is that an arduino should fit into the back of the steering wheel assembly if you wanted to repurpose the 2 resistive signalling pairs for other purposes

It's worth looking at https://iserv.nl/files/pics/imiev/arduino/Steering%20wheel%20controls%20for%20the%20Mitsubishi%20i-MiEV.htm

mwahlgreen said:
stoatwblr said:
mwahlgreen said:
The clock spring you need is 8619-A017

Damn I bought a 8619-A164 from Japan... I have still to try it in the car.
I will post if it fits.

(I have been out of the game due to sickness)

Did you have any luck with retrofit? I was thinking about the same thing for mine and wondered whether it will work or not.

Back