Aptera is Back

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
Oh, how badly I wanted one of these back in the day. Looks like there’s a possibility the dream will come true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNjUdTJjiNk

Paul Wilbur, stay away.

Ten years ago I had put down a deposit and would have settled for just about anything they produced.

I did put down a deposit for this new one a week ago, but I'm afraid that I'll be very very picky. Of course, the Aptera's main attraction is the very low Cd, but if this is going to become our long-distance vehicle (replacing the Tesla MS85 and its free SuperCharging), then it needs to truly be outstanding in most respects.

Meanwhile, the i-MiEVs continue to serve us admirably as our daily drivers, while the Corbin Sparrows still turn heads and provoke a smile whenever we venture out in one of them.

For me, this would likely be a Bolt replacement. But, to do that, I do have a list of must haves.

1. One pedal driving - The Bolt implements this feature perfectly. Aptera should copy this (and make the default drive mode selectable).

2. Optional connectivity - this is why I didn’t buy a Tesla. I don’t like the concept of an internet-connected car and would want it offline.

3. Quality 2-channel stereo - Driving is the only time I can jam to music without interruption. Kick it old school with 2-channel audio, no Bose or other “premium” sound systems. The tweeter/sub setups lack depth.

4. Key or key fob. Please, do not use a smartphone app for the vehicle key. Optional, maybe, but not the standard.

I still have to crunch numbers. I have some doubts on the solar charging, but so far the rest of the numbers jive. I’d love to see how they can actually fit 100 kWh of battery in the car.

PV1 said:
...1. One pedal driving - The Bolt implements this feature perfectly. Aptera should copy this (and make the default drive mode selectable).
Agree and that is also a significant one for me, but I would like many options for the settings and a paddle (if not two, like the KonaEV). Also want a zero-regen mode for hypermiling on the open highway. In 2012 one of the reasons I bought my i-MiEV was because I didn't like the Leaf's wimpy regen.
PV1 said:
2. Optional connectivity - this is why I didn’t buy a Tesla. I don’t like the concept of an internet-connected car and would want it offline.
Doesn't bother me and I can't think of a reason not to be connected, as our long-distance driving relies on an active map and Tesla's route alterations based on real-time traffic. The Tesla app allows family to track the car's location, and lots of things can be done remotely; for example, when finishing lunch on the road I usually turn on the HVAC a few minutes before leaving the restaurant. I especially like the podcasts, but I guess you could feed all your entertainment from the cellphone.
PV1 said:
3. Quality 2-channel stereo - Driving is the only time I can jam to music without interruption. Kick it old school with 2-channel audio, no Bose or other “premium” sound systems. The tweeter/sub setups lack depth.
It'll be interesting to see how the audio sounds inside that composite structure.
PV1 said:
4. Key or key fob. Please, do not use a smartphone app for the vehicle key. Optional, maybe, but not the standard.
Yes, the phone as an alternative, although many people are permanently attached to their phones. Also, with proximity detection no need to push something to turn the car on - stepping on the brake does it just fine.
PV1 said:
I still have to crunch numbers. I have some doubts on the solar charging, but so far the rest of the numbers jive. I’d love to see how they can actually fit 100 kWh of battery in the car.
For something this efficient, I can't see getting a battery that large, as they will have DCFC. The full solar option was relatively inexpensive but the recharge rate I suspect would do little on long trips. Need to do the math once they publish some specs.

I'm not holding my breath, as they have lots and lots of details to work out.

Just for fun, I put a deposit down. 400 mile battery with AWD.

Their site shows 184 solar cells with the full solar option, which would work out to roughly 900 watts nameplate capacity, based on the solar panels I helped install last year. So, their 700 watt claim checks out. Granted, that covers the hood, dashboard, roof, and rear hatch.

The more I look at the Aptera, the more Tesla components I see. I just noticed the prototype uses the Tesla Model 3 steering column (besides borrowing heavily from the 3 interior design).

2nd Prototype built and rolling. Looking good in white, which is the color I selected in my reservation. Just hope the color scheme applies to the nose on the production versions.

https://www.aptera.us/post/shining-sol?postId=60a1c64f6806c600150f64a6

Looks like an immensely practical vehicle...

i don't see any manufacturer's license tags--maybe it was trailered down to the nature reserve and off loaded there for a concept car photo shoot at sunset?

where are the solar panels? Range and top speed?

Solar is in the roof, rear edge, and dashboard. In the rear corners above the tail lights, those three squares on each side are cells. The ones on the roof blended into the black paint.

The one picture looks like there is a license plate. The way the article is written makes it sound like they drove it. I’m sure they also wouldn’t get a professional race driver if it was trailered.

Boffingham said:
Has anyone tried to put solar panels on the i-miev roof? Not sure if it would be doable or practical. Thoughts?
Ten years ago we had quite a thread on this. Try to imagine this contraption on an i-MiEV and then consider the aero drag: :mrgreen:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=533&start=40#p3435
I guess we could bond flexible panels directly onto our (relatively small) roof, but...

Boffingham said:
Has anyone tried to put solar panels on the i-miev roof? Not sure if it would be doable or practical. Thoughts?
Doable, but not all that effective for extending range. It works on Aptera because they have more space for solar, plus the car itself is 2.5 times more efficient than the I-MiEV. The amount of solar on Aptera would add about 16 miles of range to the I-MiEV compared to 40 miles.

Back