Minimum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
I was a lifelong leadfoot until I got religion after purchasing my Gen1 Honda Insight which now sports a lifetime 77.5mpg for over 80K miles. I'm afraid I have a Jekyll and Hyde relationship with our iMiEV, as on short trips I simply roar around showing off the fact that EVs are no slouches whereas on longer trips I become a hypermiler...

Since I've been beaten in the honorable maximum RR category (RR=96), here is my record-setting attempt at the ignominious minimum RR category, showing 16 bars and only RR=48 after a full recharge, the aftermath of a 40-mile very high speed freeway round trip.

MitsiRR48.jpg

fjpod said:
an award for the worst?
:p :lol:
Actually, this supports my contention that the iMiEV's high-speed highway range is about 50 miles, but I'm happy that Mitsubishi gave us a top speed of 80+mph for the few rare times it might be needed when passing someone on a two-lane road (instead of limiting the speed to ensure a better range); however, many of us have shown that a highway range of 70+miles is readily achievable with just a little bit of conservative driving. ;)

I too really appreciate the brisk acceleration the car has and I make use of it from time to time - When I NEED to get out of someone's way, I like being able to stomp it and get going, which is whay I never drive it in the Eco mode

I also drive it much differently than any of my previous cars, exercising restraint to get the best range I can when possible, but there are usually a couple of occasions per 'tankful' (or more ;) ) where I find I need to use that 'extra' so my range is not near the max most of the time . . . . still I'm happy with what it is - It always gets us to where we need to go and back home without nursing it all the time

I also think that anything which is 'sporting' to drive should be exercised in that mode from time to time, and I don't hesitate to do that when the occasion arises :D

Don

Great idea Joe- you're on! I don't predict a longstanding record until the next Russian winter, though (-30 C?!!!) :shock: .
My one-way commute is 16 miles and i can charge at work, so leaving EVery red light ahead of the pack is now normal practice. I chauffered a 15 year-old babysitter last night and her first remark was "wow it's cute but too bad they're so slow, huh?". The next one was- "I feel like I've just been transported by space ship".

WeeJohn - with 16 bars showing (even if not filled up) at 35 miles that has got to be the WORST Range Remaining. :!: :!: :eek:
You are, by far, the holder of the IGNOMINIOUS RR award. :twisted:
We won't ask how you did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was trying to stay ahead of the tailgaters in the HOV lane. Better not let Mitsubishi see this... ;)

Seriously, how did you do that? Was it jack-rabbit starts, or constant 75 mph highway driving? Or maybe it was heavy A/C use in stop and go driving.

See that picture, JoeS? 83 mph and barely above the first tick mark. That's why I can't hold the car at the first tick mark and tell you my speed - it's too fast for me! I guess you'll have to get your data from Wee John, LOL! :lol:

Jenn

I have no clue how to post a pic here, but this morning we had 103 miles RR after an overnight charge. And our experience is that the RR is a fairly accurate number, now that the battery management system seems to have learned our driving style.

Woo-hoo!

fjpod said:
Seriously, how did you do that?

Ok, the picture is untouched, the numbers are real.

I'm just not telling the whole story, that's why I didn't add any comment to the picture.

My normal min/max RR is between 50 and 60 miles. For this photograph the RR was 51 and I utilized the A/C and heater to manipulate the numbers, so I propose a simple rule for min RR photograph, the way JoeS took his photo is probably the easiest way to standardize the min RR having the key in auxiliary so there is no ready light.

I definitely think I could be a challenger for this title, what is the prize.

Wee John said:
A kick-in-the-butt for seriously abusing our lovely little car. :lol: We have to come up with something for that ignominious award.. :twisted:

TaosEV - you're in the wrong thread: look for maximum Range Remaining. Congratulations on that RR=103. The way to post a picture is to upload it to a website which you can then reference in a link to that specific location on that website.

Whoops ... sorry to have posted in the minimum thread ... the pic is now up in the "maximum" thread.

Thanks to Wee John for hosting the image.

Wee John said:
JoeS said:
A kick-in-the-butt
:D :D :D :D :D

JoeS said:
We have to come up with something for that ignominious award.. :twisted:
How about whoever wins the min RR we send the prize to the half way point of the winning max RR from their home and they have to go pick it up and return home without a charge.

We need some photos or 0 or 1 mile RR, or turtles. I'm not advocating you deplete your battery on purpose, but stuff happens, so let's see it.

Wow Jenn. So did you charge it all the way up and if so, how long did it take at what level?

I read that when the charge state gauge says there is no charge left, there is actually still ~ 8% in the batteries. The onboard OS will probably not let you use it though to protect the batteries.

Steve

I charged at level 2 on a timed charge set for 5.5 hours. I don't know if it was all the way full, but it had all 16 bars at the end of that time. My intention was not to charge to 100%, so that's why I only put 5.5 hours, thinking that it needs 6-7 hours for a full charge, per the manual

Jenn

Back