[Edit] If you have a USA car with a bad OBC, then take it to the dealer and get it replaced under the extended warranty added to cover the OBC. There was a letter sent out about this being due to faulty capacitors. Do not try to repair it or they might deny your claim. [/edit]
This thread will be used to document the technical information and any schematics or firmware available to help troubleshoot and repair the OBC/Converter. Post #2 has troubleshooting steps and an index of this thread that can hopefully be used as a guide to step through the process. Post #3 will hold a collection of circuit schematics.
There seems to be many failures reported lately (last 6 months or so), so maybe it's time to figure out what is happening and come up with a lower cost solution. i started a photo album with pictures related to this box, https://imgur.com/a/lUtGrwT also all my imgur pictures are found at: https://kennybob.imgur.com/
List of links to user's recent failures [and successful REPAIRS] in reverse order, later near the top:
[2020 edit to add additional repair efforts]
##. LucasH (Nov 2020). Does not chargge, but DCDC is working. LucasH
##. ZetaFunction (July 2020). Sebastian's issue with the switching power supply on the bottom board, a new issue never seen before starts here: ZetaFunction on pages 54-59 still in progress.
##. DutchLincoln (June 2020). Great pictures of disassembly to repair damaged snubbers.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 500#p41150
21. 11/28/2018, Reports and more repairs by Skylogger in WA
20. PM message, 10/2018, from tdigsi; looking for substitutes to replace the 680 and 220uF capacitors?
[EDIT: REPAIRED, replaced snubber caps and MCU fuse, now it is charging; going to replace HV caps anyway due to age and high mileage, est. >~5000 Hrs on caps.]
19. PM message, 9/2018, from Quixotix in Seattle; dealer says charrger is dead; recommended to request DTCs and open cover to inspect for damage, blown fuse, etc.
18. ChristopheFR, 9/2018, 2011 C-Zero in France, EVSE charging appears to start then quits, DCDC appears to work ok, Aux battery changed in 2015
17. skylogger#2, 9/2018, 2010 in Western Australia, blown snubber caps and MCU fuse, AC relay and precharge Rs
[EDIT: REPAIRED--SUCCESS!, 9/2018 ]
16. footswitch, 9/2018, 2012 not charging in Portugal, EVSE charging appears to start, then just quits, DCDC appears to work ok, still running with OEM Aux battery.
15. charliejuliet, 8/2018, failed charrger in Michigan UP, replaced with aftermarket DC/DC and Chademo charrger.
14. redcane, 8/2018, 2010 not fully charging in Australia (east coast), OBC was replaced with a 2015 unit under recall in January 2017.
[EDIT: 1/8/2019,REPAIRED, replaced snubber caps and MCU fuse. Also replaced the pre-charge resistor, but that was not due to the OBC failure.]
13. skylogger, not charging in Western Australia, found blown surface mount capacitors.
[EDIT: SOLVED AND REPAIRED,8/12/2018, see picture of a twisted resistor causing open circuit on voltage monitoring]
12. beeline, 6/18, 2012 not charging, dealer estimates $4800+tax
11. mikedufty, 3/18, 2010 Australian model not charging fully in WA, charrger was replaced under recall. Dealer now pointing at EV-ECU as bad.
10. 1pk, intermittent charging level 1 and 2, found cracked bypass resistors at AC relay
[SWAPPED OUT OBC WITH USED 2013 UNIT, 8/13/2018]
9. Lic, 4/18, getting condenser timeout error P1A15, no main(+) contactor indication
8. jray3, 6/18, Mr. Bean dc converter not working, blown 20A fuse in the inverter
7. luvmymiev, 6/18, Category: i'll take bad charrgers for $4000--The question is:What did the dealer find?
6. electronpusher, 6/18, car not charging in New South Wales, blown snubber capacitors in the potted doghouse and fuse in the MCU.
[EDIT 10/7/2018: REPAIRED , replaced snubber caps and fuse and now it's working again, Good Job!]
5. Antaris, 3/18, service manager says the on board charging unit has failed.
[EDIT: REPLACED, Mits Canada replaced it for $800 Cdn]
4. fresnomiev, 3/16, dealer replaced charrger while troubleshooting by parts swapping, issue was MCU inverter.
3. pluto, 2/18, code 39 OBC, abnormal PFC voltage,
2. Sbess, 10/17,dealer says bad charrger
1. TorranceMiEV, not charging
iDriver, Nov 28, 2017, charrger fuse in MCU blown
Just for the historical record, mccluer had a very early report of charrger failure back in 2012
also DonDakin in 2013
also Malm, 3/2016
[edit: add a section of pictures of various items frequently referenced]
This shows the OBC on the left with the cover off, and the MCU on the right with the access cover open:
MCU with cover open
Here is an OBC picture with the cover open, note scorch marks on inside cover and the full exposure of the tops of the electrolytic capacitors (credit to coulomb for pointing out this indicator of high temperatures):
EMI Filter DogHouse (External Box on some versions)
DCDC Converter Board in the bottom plenum from this post, http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =20#p36638
Flat Ribbon Cable connects between the top and bottom board
Bottom Board "DogHouse"--the fenced-in potted area.
Side view of the bottom board and waffle plate.
Bottom board with waffle plate removed.
The Waffle Plate™
internal schematic of waffle plate
Top Layer of Top (Control) Board
Bottom Layer of Top Board
Fuse F701 on 12V input line of the top board
Blown Snubber Capacitors (Board Version)
Blown Snubbers (Blue M&Ms Version)
Beautiful Snubber Repair Job by Simon
Correct Polarity to check operation of the AC Input Relay in the Bottom Board DogHouse
Blown AC Input capacitor
MCU 20A Fuse under Access Cover on MCU
****An excellent collection of pictures of a disassembly and repair by Easky15
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FzvQC ... iLObPikOqa
[Top Level Wiring Diagrams]
Pack Quick Disconnect Locations
Here are some wiring diagrams just to get started, will post a charrger schematic after it gets traced and drawn up.
Workshop Manual High Voltage 20 Amp MCU (aka Inverter) fuse links:
There are some really good drawings to show the location of connectors and polarity of the Main HV lines into the MCU here: OBC Code 02 troubleshooting
How to access and replace the MCU fuse
see next post for troubleshooting notes