bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

JoeS wrote:
bradleydavidgood777 wrote:...So the EVSE has to plug into a connector that is right by the car on the end of a cord and waterproof. I have 2 10 gauge 120V cords now. 50 foot and 100 foot. I could use one of those for the new configuration if I replace the connectors...the question is - with what? Because I have not found a connector that would work out there at the end of the cord by the car.
Let's go back a step. Don had suggested modifying the existing 120vac outlet line that you are presently using and converting that line to 240vac, if it is a dedicated line with its own circuit breaker. Is this what you intend to do?
No, not a dedicated outlet. Can't do that. Two options on the table. Transfer switch at dryer or new circuit out of panel. Video processing on Youtube....stay tuned.

So what about this question about the connector to use at the car/EVSE? Assuming that I re-use the extension cord I use now for L1?
2017 I-Miev
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

A picture is worth a thousand words. How much is a video worth? Should have done this earlier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMYLDx6Img
2017 I-Miev
JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Silicon Valley, California

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

You actually did a pretty good job of describing your situation, but the video adds depth to your dilemma.

My preference would be to add a couple of small 20A circuit breakers at your input panel, run a conduit across the basement, bring the power out through the brick wall, and if you're ambitious dig a trench and run a conduit out closer to the car. Problem is to see what can be done, if anything, within code. Heck, you probably have a 240v source at that aircon unit ... pesky code constraints, again. Might be an idea to bring your electrician acquaintance out and explain what your end goal is and a $$ limit and let him make some suggestions.

As far as connectors are concerned, I would leave the 14-30 alone (cut off that Neutral pin) on the Amazing-E, as it will be useful at RV campgrounds if you ever take a trip. For your 240v extension cable I'd be inclined to go with a NEMA L6-20 connector at each end, and then make an adapter to mate with the Amazing-E.

Edit: To put the Neutral pin on the Amazing-E discussion to bed, why don't you buy a couple of connectors (10-30P and 14-50R) and make a jumper cable and simply plug the Amazing-E into your dryer outlet? Some of the 14-50 receptacles I've purchased are configurable to accept either 14-50 or 14-30. That jumper cable will come in handy in the future if you want to charge at someone's house using their dryer outlet.
EVs: Two '12 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 TeslaMS85, three 156v CorbinSparrowsLi(NMC), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conversions: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab96, 48v1kW bike
RIP(2021) ICE: Orig.Owner '67 Saab96V4, '88 IsuzuTrooper; '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV
Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 3101
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

'Dilemma' is certain;y the operative word - You have problems on top of problems on top of problems, not the least of which is that extension cord laying over the public sidewalk - You've got some trenching to do

Assuming you can get space to install a new double 20 amp breaker, Joe's solution is the simplest and cheapest. If you intend to 'future proof' and run a 30 or 40 amp service, you're going to need to upgrade to a 200 amp service - With the A/C, dryer, water heater? and other loads, you've pretty well maxxed out that 100 amp panel and no doubt you probably need a larger gauge drop from the pole too

My solution? Pour a driveway and build a garage onto the house! :lol:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Glacier White Metallic
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

JoeS wrote: Edit: To put the Neutral pin on the Amazing-E discussion to bed, why don't you buy a couple of connectors (10-30P and 14-50R) and make a jumper cable and simply plug the Amazing-E into your dryer outlet? Some of the 14-50 receptacles I've purchased are configurable to accept either 14-50 or 14-30. That jumper cable will come in handy in the future if you want to charge at someone's house using their dryer outlet.
The reason the Amazing-E can't be plugged into the dryer outlet is because the car is 90 feet away.
2017 I-Miev
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

JoeS wrote:Y Heck, you probably have a 240v source at that aircon unit ...
I knew the video was a good idea! I have not used the A/C since I got it. It came with the new HVAC system and there was no option to leave it off so I got it installed in case I moved and the next person wanted it. I have no returns on the 2nd floor and no good places to run them in this small house. I have a whole house fan I designed myself that turns over the air every 5 minutes and is on a thermostat and I love outside air and don't mind the heat too much. The only benefit to the A/C unit is that the local power company gives me about $80 a year to have that device on it which shuts it off at peak usage times in the summer. So I could hardly wait to get home and check out that A/C wiring. It comes out of the house in plastic flex conduit to a box that has a thing in it you can pull out that says "on/off" - a rudimentary switch. Then out of that box to the A/C unit. The power company switch is on a separate line to the A/C unit and doesn't interfere with the line from the house. I backed out a screw ring holding the flexible conduit and there were 3 beautiful wires. I think all I need to do is remove the wires from the A/C unit and bend the conduit toward the car and mount a box of some kind with a connector. At the main panel there is a dual breaker, so just replace that with 20A breakers. I may just buy one double 20A breaker because I already have one 20A regular size breaker. This will net me one empty 20A breaker in my panel or two if I use another double type. So my thinking is that I can easily do all of this myself at this point. And the line to the car can be the 50 foot 10 gauge cord I have in the back yard with new connectors. So total parts will be:
One double breaker
One outdoor box - maybe the dual kind like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-70-Amp-P ... /100137294
Connectors and wire for an adapter at the EVSE.
No electrician or codes to worry about.
Sounds really good.
2017 I-Miev
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

Don wrote:'Dilemma' is certain;y the operative word - You have problems on top of problems on top of problems, not the least of which is that extension cord laying over the public sidewalk - You've got some trenching to do

Assuming you can get space to install a new double 20 amp breaker, Joe's solution is the simplest and cheapest. If you intend to 'future proof' and run a 30 or 40 amp service, you're going to need to upgrade to a 200 amp service - With the A/C, dryer, water heater? and other loads, you've pretty well maxxed out that 100 amp panel and no doubt you probably need a larger gauge drop from the pole too

My solution? Pour a driveway and build a garage onto the house! :lol:

Don
I have no problems! This a major green town and in full support of everything like that. I've had it charging for months with the cord laying across the back alley and the car parked in the bar association parking lot. I'm an 18 year good citizen and tied in with all the hippies here and am pretty sure I would have heard about it by now if someone was going to say something. I've thought about going under the sidewalk but that just may cause more trouble than staying above it because even tho I'm responsible for repairs to the sidewalk, its kind of city property from the beginning of the sidewalk to the street and that small section between the sidewalk and curb. I think they might have a bigger issue with me tunneling under that plus its black pavement in the spot between the sidewalk and curb so opening it up would create another hole (trip hazard) and pool for water and erosion. Plus it is mostly only there after all the tourists leave for the day and only my neighbors are here, and I move the cord onto my property when I leave at 630AM most days and every time I leave in the car. Plus I'm on the end so not much foot traffic there. Having a wire permanently under the sidewalk and sitting there while my car was NOT there would be a red flag for sure.

Media is the first fair trade town in the USA, has 9 public buildings full of solar, is a transition town (with time bank) and lots of hippies. In fact, one of my close friends and handyman who has done a lot of work on my house is called "The Hippie". http://visitmediapa.com/fairtrade
2017 I-Miev
JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Silicon Valley, California

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

bradleydavidgood777 wrote:
JoeS wrote: Edit: To put the Neutral pin on the Amazing-E discussion to bed, why don't you buy a couple of connectors (10-30P and 14-50R) and make a jumper cable and simply plug the Amazing-E into your dryer outlet? Some of the 14-50 receptacles I've purchased are configurable to accept either 14-50 or 14-30. That jumper cable will come in handy in the future if you want to charge at someone's house using their dryer outlet.

The reason the Amazing-E can't be plugged into the dryer outlet is because the car is 90 feet away.
I understand the location relative to your car. I am simply asking you to plug in the Amazing-E into the three-wire 10-30 outlet to ensure it lights up and does not throw a ground-fault error. No need to plug it into the car.
EVs: Two '12 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 TeslaMS85, three 156v CorbinSparrowsLi(NMC), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conversions: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab96, 48v1kW bike
RIP(2021) ICE: Orig.Owner '67 Saab96V4, '88 IsuzuTrooper; '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

JoeS wrote:
bradleydavidgood777 wrote:
JoeS wrote: Edit: To put the Neutral pin on the Amazing-E discussion to bed, why don't you buy a couple of connectors (10-30P and 14-50R) and make a jumper cable and simply plug the Amazing-E into your dryer outlet? Some of the 14-50 receptacles I've purchased are configurable to accept either 14-50 or 14-30. That jumper cable will come in handy in the future if you want to charge at someone's house using their dryer outlet.

The reason the Amazing-E can't be plugged into the dryer outlet is because the car is 90 feet away.
I understand the location relative to your car. I am simply asking you to plug in the Amazing-E into the three-wire 10-30 outlet to ensure it lights up and does not throw a ground-fault error. No need to plug it into the car.
Oh I see! Good idea. I actually already have a 14-30 receptacle and a 10-30 dryer plug and cord at home so I can do that tonight. Thanks!
2017 I-Miev
bradleydavidgood777
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: 240V Charging and Extension cables (Amazing-E)

Don wrote: With the A/C, dryer, water heater? and other loads, you've pretty well maxxed out that 100 amp panel and no doubt you probably need a larger gauge drop from the pole too
Don
No, the water heater is gas and I'm never running A/C and no other major load at all. All low wattage light bulbs, gas range. The only other draw in the house is a toaster oven. So I'm really comfortable with the load on the panel. In fact, the gas water heater is 9 years old. A good brand (Bradford White) but near end of life for sure. I've been considering electric instant hot water instead. So removing the A/C breaker and knowing that the car only draws 13.75A, I'm very comfortable adding back in another 30A breaker for hot water, which is so cool because the panel upgrade was a major issue in the hot water consideration. And the panel has a 100A breaker on it so if it gets overloaded I'll know right? But I doubt that would ever happen. I think everything in the house would have to be on at the same time and I don't even think that would do it even with the future 30A hot water.

Also, I don't think I would need a new wire for 200A. I think I remember when we did the 100A panel that I was good to go on that. I would want to do the ground rod tho for sure. I'm still considering a panel upgrade at some point but not until I'm pushed by something. Or I may just do it myself some day. I know how to do it because I did it with my ex-brother in law for the 100A. I would just rather pay for it and get the ground thing done at the same time if I can get the friend electrician rate.
2017 I-Miev

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”