melloyello

Re: Search issues and aftermarket wheels

I've had the continentals on for almost 20k miles now, and I don't have any complaints (except it would be nice if they were cheaper :D ). They seem to be a bit less efficient so the range may be down slightly, but the tires seem to last longer. My OEM dunlops were done at 20k miles, and these continentals have probably another 10k-20k more miles of tread left.

Here's my original post with my parts list:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1656&start=259

but you'll want 10mm spacers all around instead of the thinner spacers I first tried:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's a photo of how much I cut the studs:
pluto

Thanks for the tip. The tire shop told me they don't carry the spacers and studs so I ordered the same ones you did from Amazon, as well as the lug nuts just in case. Looks like about a month wait to get the spacers :/

What (if any) is the consequence of not cutting the studs down, other than looking weird?
melloyello

If you don't cut the studs, there might be clearance issues with installing them in the rear. I think maybe the back of those drum brakes get in the way. You might have to remove the rear wheel hubs somehow to install the studs. You'll also need to use those open ended lug nuts.
pluto

If I remember correctly the lug nuts that are on my car are already open-ended ones. I ordered those ones from Amazon anyway as they were only $10 for a set of 20!
pluto

So did you have to cut the studs to that same length for all 4 wheels or just the rears?

Just wondering if I could order shorter studs instead of the 50mm ones to avoid having to cut them.
melloyello

Only the rears need to be cut for clearance issues. I cut them all to the same length so I can use the OEM lug nuts, which are closed-ended. I tried looking for shorter studs, all i could find were these and the oem ones.
PV1
Site Moderator

melloyello wrote:I cut them all to the same length so I can use the OEM lug nuts, which are closed-ended.
Interesting. My OEM lugs are open with 3 threads sticking out of the end. Melloyello, on your cut studs, how many thread ridges stick out of the end of the lug?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC
2018 Tesla Model 3, LR AWD, MSM
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013
melloyello

Here's a photo of the mini wheels with 8mm spacers and the longer studs before they were cut.
I haven't really tried the open-ended lug nuts with the mini wheels after cutting the studs, but I'd guess they wouldn't really stick out much at all, maybe 0-3 ridges. It's really needed if I want to use my oem wheels now, as the studs would stick out much more, maybe 5-10 ridges.
Don
Site Moderator

PV1 wrote:
melloyello wrote:I cut them all to the same length so I can use the OEM lug nuts, which are closed-ended.
Interesting. My OEM lugs are open with 3 threads sticking out of the end. Melloyello, on your cut studs, how many thread ridges stick out of the end of the lug?
I think ES models with steel wheels used the open nuts, while SE models with alloys used closed end nuts, since they are visible all the time

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Glacier White Metallic
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home
PV1
Site Moderator

That would explain it. I didn't even think of that. :lol: :oops:
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC