How not to increase autonomy

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llecentaur

Actually, please do not try this !

A large truck with no trailer overtook me today. It even had a spoiler which further increased the height.

I suddenly had an urge to see if I could profit from the aspiration effect and took the risk to drive only 20 feet behind it at 50 m/h. The result was very clear, I used during two bars an average of over 10 kilometers per bar instead of 5.

Clearly not to recommended, if decide to try it it is at your own risk. Plus I had a passenger who was looking way ahead while I had my eyes on the truck's brakes and did not blink an eye during the experience. But it was fun and proves again how dense the air is at speeds above 40 m/h.

Autonomy - I'll admit it . . . . I had to look that one up ;)

But . . . . what does it have to do with following a truck too closely :?:

Don

Sorry guys, yes I meant fuel efficiency...

It was a large commercial truck but without any attached container/wagon.

I was testing the fact that its vortex would close down behind my car, virtually pushing it forward. This is a well used phenomena in Formula 1 racing, I was curious if it could work at lower speeds :twisted:

There is better and less dangerous way to increase mileage:

I managed twice to reach Adriatic coast (130 kms from my home) with none bar spent. I just waited some time on local gas station for first empty car truck refilling gas before continuing to the port of Koper (main importing port for central and eastern Europe). I just ask the driver nicely to load my i-toy. The usual answer is: "no problem!"

One and half hour later after interesting conversation about EVs and everything else my C-Zero is fully charged on coast ;)

@Zelenec: I think I need to visit your country. Slovenians sound very kind. Asking the same question here in the US would not likely get a positive answer. ;)

I believe it's our ex communist heritage (Yugoslavia). Brotherhood and unity were most important values then. I miss some life aspects of those times.

aarond12 said:
@Zelenec: I think I need to visit your country. Slovenians sound very kind. Asking the same question here in the US would not likely get a positive answer. ;)
There is *no doubt* that the answer to that would be 'No' 99% of the time in the USA - The legal liabilities would prohibit the driver from even thinking about doing you such a favor

Unlike the rest of the world, we have even more lawyers than truck drivers

Don

You are all welcome anytime in Slovenia.

If somehow happens you visit Europe, you can stop and stay for a while in my 20 bed cottage I'm just finishing. All tourists can use my C-Zero for cruising around Slovenia and 4 neighbour countries: Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia. So you could experience all differences EU I-clones vs Nort Am I-version :D

Zelenec said:
You are all welcome anytime in Slovenia.
You should take Zelenec up on his suggestion. Slovenia is a beautiful country with wonderful people, many of whom speak excellent English.

In 1964, I drove from Austria to Ljubljana, Slovenia, through a new tunnel. I picked up a tunnel construction worker who was hitchhiking. He insisted that I stop by his house for some traditional slivovitz. Whew! I was unable to continue driving on toward Trieste, Italy, after that :)

Last fall, we drove our 2000 Honda Insight from Croatia to Ljubljana, Slovenia, for several days, drove on a day trip to the huge, beautiful Postojna Cave before returning to Ljubljana, and then drove to Austria. This was before we bought our i-MiEV and before I knew of Zelenec. Otherwise, he would have had visitors :)

Back