Hidden charges (CA-specific) ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennrod12

I've never bought a new car before. What charges should I expect besides the cost of the vehicle and options. I am in California

Destination charge? How much?
Sales tax - ugh!
DMV charges? How much?
Anything else?

I don't want the dealer to sneak something else in there that might not be required.

Thanks,

Jenn

Destination charge - $850.00
Sales tax - Is based on what city/county you reside (tax is charged on destination and pre-delivery inspection also)
DMV charges - total $291.00 - licence/registration/tyre fees

Other stuff - loan application fee $50-$100 (if you get a loan)
pre-delivery inspection - $300-$800 (dealers charge)

Wee John.

These are from my sales contract:

Document Preparation Fee: $55
Sales Tax: $2947
Optional DMV Electronic filing Fee: $29
License Fees: $219
Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee: $110
California Tire Fee: $8.75

This was added into the purchase price:

Destination Charge: $850
Premium Package: $2790 (Optional)

Don't forget the $299 reservation deposit if you made one.

The dealer is required to do a pre-delivery inspection, removing the white protective plastic, checking all lights, tyres, all equipment is with the car, blah, blah, blah. You could probably get them to lower it if you give them a hard enough fight or find something after delivery which should have been done like removing the glue from where the edges of the white plastic was.

jjlink said:
Sales Tax: $29

My sales tax was $2589.50

Don't forget $8 fee for those white HOV stickers. :D

Picked ours up today! Transaction went smooth as silk. We were there about 2 hours, about one hour was spent test driving and learning about the car. No unexpected charges, no pressure to buy anything extra, etc. We paid in full at the time of purchase.

Thanks, especially, to jjlink who made me feel more confident about what to expect going in.

Jenn

I also had a very smooth delivery experience picking mine up from San Rafael (California) a few weeks ago. They got me out of there just as fast as their printers coud print up the paperwork.

An earlier poster mentioned a dealer inspection fee in an earlier post. If a dealer tries to add that, you should definitely get it removed. I think most of us are paying close to sticker price right now since the car is in such demand. An additional "pre-delivery inspection fee" is completely unreasonable, in my opinion.

jennrod12 said:
Anything else?

magicnote said:
An additional "pre-delivery inspection fee" is completely unreasonable, in my opinion.

You have to be prepared for assaults on all fronts when you go to the dealership, I'm sure this thread will help folks buying at the dealership.

I need to have my plates first, to get the white stickers, right?

Also, do I need to have Fast Track? I don't think I'll be taking this car across any bridges. The application says that "hybrids" must have Fast Track.

3 days is awesome turn-around!

Thanks,

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
I need to have my plates first, to get the white stickers, right?

Also, do I need to have Fast Track? I don't think I'll be taking this car across any bridges.

Thanks,

Jenn

I fixed the link above, it was the wrong link. Yes, you do need your plates, mines came in around 3 weeks and you do need Fastrak for the bridges or the Fastrak lane on 680 South. Costco sells a $35 (I think) for $25. We rarely went over the bridges before I got a new job across the Bay, but it was well worth having in the car just for time savings alone. You can get a tag for each car up to 3 tags ($20 deposit for each tag over 3).

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/

edited to add url

Back