12 kW chademo charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pbui19, I'm afraid that the GroWatt is not going to be compatible with CHAdeMO export, as it's looking for a DC battery in the 360-550V range, so our battery might barely turn it on and run for a few minutes before low voltage cutoff.
Likewise, JoeS has been experimenting with a Setec CHAdeMO inverter, and it also seems incompatible with both the iMiev and early LEAF models.
On the "12 kw Chademo" topic, I recently gave MR BEAN his first DCFC in quite a while, as the car has been relegated to local errands and commuting for quite a while now, but we had a car show to journey up to. It took a whopping 13 minutes to collect 3.0 kWh, with a maximum reported power of 24 kW (though I thought I saw 40 kwh for the first few seconds). That was enough to get home on, and as I see it, a mile a minute for range recovery ain't too bad. It's something that an ol' DIY EV builder like myself would've been amazed by not so long ago...

Hi,

I'm only interested in charging an i-MiEV/clone's HV pack using a low amp bench power supply when the car is disabled and unable to charge conventionally eg it has a hardware fault and is likely to be sitting around for months before I get a chance to fix it.

So, apologies for being 'anal', here, but none of the references to installing a link at the DCQC relay connector explicitly mentions if the link is inserted with the connector still plugged into the relay or not. I'm assuming not (maybe it doesn't matter) but I don't like assumptions - not when I'm playing with 360VDC!

i suppose it could be done with the relay still inserted in the connector, but it would be very difficult to do. When i did it, my procedure was to remove the relay and then insert the jumper; i did this "last" in the hookups--first i made the external connections at the Chademo port so i wouldn't have to deal with exposed HV. i made a voltage check with DMM at the exposed HV and used the dcqc relay jumper as the "switch" to turn it on/off. i made a jumper with faston tabs to fit the relay socket contacts (the white wire jumper in this picture) and used another jumper with round pins for the LV Chademo jumper (green wire jumper in picture, ignore the hammer-flattened-end that was converted to a flat blade for testing a toyota connector).
i1wxWKS.jpg

does the BMS require system be in READY ? vaguely recalled one of Ben's video stating the BMS showed SOC bar correctly, but can't find the link now and can't remember if iMiev was in READY. Also not sure if he had looped back the CAN comm line

Back