defect control unit HV battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taupilz

I am in doubt if i shall buy a drivable mitsubishi imiev car, the yellow light is lighting in the dash board, the workshop say "defect control unit HV battery" price to fix about 11500 NOK
which unit are we talking about, can i fix it myself with knowledge from you guys?

Taupilz said:
I am in doubt if i shall buy a drivable mitsubishi imiev car, the yellow light is lighting in the dash board, the workshop say "defect control unit HV battery" price to fix about 11500 NOK
which unit are we talking about, can i fix it myself with knowledge from you guys?
Taupilz, welcome to the forum. The i-MEV triplets (Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Citroen C-Zero, Peugeot iOn) have proven to be very reliable; however, problems do occur. Modern-day cars are computers on wheels; whereas mechanically simple, the digital communications throughout the i-MiEV can result in troubleshooting nightmares. A number of modules in the car are VIN-coded, which require reprogramming if replaced and thus need triplet-specific test equipment.

There are a number of very technically-astute members of this forum who have selflessly assisted many of us in pursuing complex repairs. The perseverance of some members in chasing problems has, to me, been amazing!

You yourself will need not only mechanical but electronics troubleshooting and repair skills to assess and hopefully find and repair problems which are often subtle, and it helps to have a dedicated workspace. There is no easy 'cookbook', despite ready access to the i-MiEV technical service manual. Often, the 'repair' in the manual results in module replacement - and a module may cost as much as the used car itself!

The information you just provided is inadequate to even get started.

The start of chasing the problem you describe is to attach an OBD reader with programs specific to the i-MiEV (such as an iCarSoft i909) and read the codes which generated the light and take it from there. Not a trivial project and I wouldn't wish to impose too much on our membership to hold your hand throughout the troubleshooting process.

Perhaps walk away from the car, no matter how attractive its price? Note: Norwegian Krone to USD presently about 0.1 If the car can be repaired for that amount and the battery State of Health is above ~35Ah and if the car's price is very low, then it may be worth having it 'professionally' repaired.

Just my own (probably jaded) opinion, and welcome others' thoughts.

Happy New Year

There isn’t a lot of information to go by but as it seems to drive a lot of things can be ruled out. Best to go back to the dealer and ask for a printout of the fault codes and battery health. While you’re there also check if AC charge is working.

If you’re serious about buying an EV I would also invest in a ODB2 dongle so you can do your own diagnostics.

updated info about the issue
It is a leakage current coming from the EV-ECU unit located under the back seat, without fixing this the 12V battery will be drained, i have an extra EV-ECu unit from another car, i dont know if its possible to change some connectors or other parts from that EV-ECU to get it fixed or not, hope you guys have some more information now when you got this extra information
Have a nice day

As JoeS mentioned the EVECU is one of the VIN coded items therefore even if a different unit will fix the original problem (no guarantee) you’ll still need to go back to the dealer to get it re-programmedend.

I also agree with JoeS that unless the car is dirt cheap and you like a challenge it may be best to walk away from it…

Back